1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Week "2" Predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, Sep 20, 2001.

1. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Ooops, the Bears did lose my mistake. Baltimore's offense looked horrendous there to!

By the way, who was the genius who thought that Green Bay and Washington would actually be a good Monday Night game! :confused:

#21 RocksMillenium, Sep 23, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2001
  2. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

The Broncos looked awesome tonight. They had me worried at first as the Cardinals played over their heads. But Rod Smith went off (thank God I have him on my fantasy football team). Dude had 14 catches for 162 yards and 2 touchdowns . Did anyone see that first touchdown catch he made? That was just sick! Both Olandis Gary and Mike Anderson played well and Brian Griese continues to show people that he's one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. This team is beginning to remind me of the '98 team in which the Broncs would get such a big lead that their defense just pinned their ears back and blitzed the crap out of the other team. The only thing that could stop them is if something happened to Griese.

moestavern19: I know that you are a Raider fan--do you think that Al Davis made a mistake in firing the best coach in the NFL? The fact that Shanahan is 8-2 or something like that against Da Raiduhs since '97 tells me that he might have.

3. haven

haven Member

Maybe Roy Williams is just mimicking the guy his clone...

4. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

ouch haven :D

but on a serious note

teams i view with legit super bowl aspirations: Oakland,Denver,Indianapolis,New Orleans, St. Louis, Philadelphia, Giants, Buccaneers, Packers, Dolphins

on bubble
    Ravens(where or where did Jamal Lewis go), Titans(will the real eddie george please stand up, plus injuries in secondary and mcnairs injury probs are major causes for concern), Jaguars(can they stay healthy and their defense keep this up)

Bubble Playoff teams
    San Diego, San Francisco, Pittsburgh(have to have strong d and a decent kordell to make this work)

better than anyone thought;can it happen??
    Cincinnati(beats baltimore at home)

Looking at horrible yrs
    Minnesota(cant beat carolina or chicago??), Washington, Dallas, Cleveland, Detroit, Chicago, New England, Kansas City, Seattle(subject to change if hasselbeck improves), Buffalo(Rob Johnson:Ugh), Atlanta(growing pains in the Vick era), Carolina(bad defense, rookie qb, albeit veteran age), Arizona

5. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Raiders are gonna kick Seattle's a** next week. This is one of those close games Oaktown manages to find a way to loose a couple of times a year. They will be fine though. Hey I did predict the Cincy upset though. I would have rather been right about Oakland winning though.

6. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Lewis is Out for the year if you didn't know

Vick looked damn good yesterday , and Clevland killed Detriot , 8-8 seasons could follow .

Manny - Al Davis fired Mike Shanahan because They didnt have A good Quarterback , Shanahan has to have a good QB , Did You know the Colts origanally were going to trade John Elway To The Raiders?? The deal was nixed at the last minute and he was sent to Denver for a pair of scrubs

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Atlanta beat a horrible Panthers team (I know they beat the Vikings, but that's apparantly not too hard) and the Browns beat an equally pathetic Lions team. The Browns couldn't even beat the Seahawks at home, the same Seahawks team that has yet to score a touchdown.

8-8 seasons are a huge stretch.

8. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

moe i do know jamal lewis is out for the yr, thats why i made the quote, as for atlanta maybe but thats stretching it a bit, vick will need time to learn

9. gettinbranded

gettinbranded Member

:rolleyes: :p

;)

Wrong again...

10. Manny Ramirez

Moe:

I did not know that about Elway. Just think..I could have been a Raider fan!! UGHH!!

One of my best friends is a huge Raiders fan and I always tell him (to get him going) that even if the Broncos go 2-14 as long as both wins are against the Raiders then it was a successful season! He knows that I'm not serious, but you should see the look on his face. I definitely "reminded" him how successful the 6-10 season was a couple of years ago because the Broncos beat the Raiders both times and kept them out of the playoffs.

I do hope that the NFL is able to keep 12 teams in the playoffs because if they can't then one of our teams will probably get screwed.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

And I always remind the Bronco fans of 1997 when they won the Super Bowl and the 4-12 Raiders beat them behind 227 yards rushing from 5 foot 7 Napoleon Kaufman . :)

12. Manny Ramirez

Yea, I remember that, too. Damn Tim Brown mocked the Broncos near the end of that game with a mock Mile High salute when he got a first down. It's funny that he would do that because he could have been a Bronco but the Raiders matched Denver's offer a couple of years ago. You know that had to be eating him up inside that the team he could have been on was winning back-to-back Super Bowls and he was playing, at the time, on a losing team.

My example is still better because of 2 reasons:

1) When the Raiders beat the Broncos despite being 4-12, the Broncos still made the Super Bowl and won it where as when the Broncos beat the Raiders in 1999 the Raiders didn't make it to the playoffs and losing to the Broncs is what cost them.

2) The Broncos beat the Raiders both times that season whereas the Raiders only beat the Broncos that one time plus the Broncos absolutely smoked Da Raiduhs at Mile High later that season.

13. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Just thought I would post the all-time Raiders Vs. Broncos.

Raiders 49 wins Vs 30 for Denver

For a 62% Oakland/LA Raiders winning advantage
    Its good to know the only reason Denver can beat us lately is because
    the Raiders whipped that ass for a long time first. :D

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Not to mention we actually won a Super Bowl in the 80s twice .

15. Manny Ramirez

Moe and Scary:
    The way our society is now, it's not historical stuff, it's more what have you done for me lately? Yea, the Raiders are going to lead the all-time series because the Broncos didn't have a winning record until 1973 or 1974. So, that's not saying much. I know that the Raiders owned the Broncos near the end of Satan's reign, I mean Dan Reeves, as well as during the beleaguered and hapless reign of Wade Phillips. I would be interested to know what the record between the two would be in the last 10 years. The ironic thing is, of course, Shanahan started his head coaching career for that scum, Al Davis. Now that f***er Davis owes Mike all this money, so I think it is sweet revenge for Shanny to be beating Davis' team.

The fact is Al can't stand it that the Broncos have been one of two AFC teams to win the Super Bowl since his team. He can't stand it that they are doing with a former coach of his. Why else does he whine like the little b**ch he is about Pat Bowlen and the salary cap? And you know something--Raider fans can't stand it either. And what's even funnier is reading the Oakland papers after they lose to the Broncos and read quotes from the players that are always like this: " in a high-pitch whine : Why can't we ever beat those GUYS??"

Quote all the historical records you want--dust off those Super Bowl trophies from 20 years ago if it makes you feel any better. The truth is until last season the Raiders weren't living up to their exaggerated mottos, Just win, baby! and Commitment to excellence . (Or as I like to call them, Just choke, baby! and Commitment of Al Davis to the Old Fogies Home).

Please don't tell me that the Raiders would have won some Super Bowls after the '83 season. If you honestly believe that then there is a bridge in Brooklyn I would like to sell you.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Manny - Do you really want to know why Denver always beats Oakland? Example - What Happened when Marty Shottenheimer retired from Coaching the Kansas City Chiefs? At The Time the Cheifs were something like 15 and 1 against the Raiders in the last 8 years , They hadnt lost to the Raiders at home since 92 . What happed when he left the Chiefs? The Raiders have won 4 out of the last 5 dating back to 1999 and havent lost in Arrowhead Stadium since Schottinheimer left . What does that mean? He was obsessed with beating the Raiders he made his team hate the Raiders so bad they couldnt sleep at night . Shanahan knows that Football is a battle of wills , Whoever wants it more WINS . Someday Shanahan will will bend and break and the Denver curse will be broken . Last Year the Raiders were 7-1 at home , Only loss was to Denver , Gannon commits turnovers against Denver , They cant run the ball , WHY? Shanahan has made beating the Raiders every year his obsession , than Corey Dillion rushes for an NFL record 278 yards against them , You think that Denver gives their all every Raiders Game? Shanahan makes damn sure of that , McCaffrey won't be here to save you this time with his fall down and draw a Pass interference crap . The Raiders must want it more than Denver , and the Broncos want it more than anything .

17. Mr.Scary

Mr.Scary Member

Manny
    Moe is so right. Hey you can call it dusting off the trophies and historical
    records all you want but what I am saying is that you have to consider the past when talking about a great rivalry like this. Sure they have won alot lately but as seems to be the trend with this series, one win can change everything. This year Oakland gets that win. Also I think coach Gruden is
    well on the way to returning to the "Commitment To Excellence".

18. Manny Ramirez

Moe and Scary:
    I believe that Shanahan pumps the Broncos up more during the week leading up to the Raiders games more than any other. He has made this into something personal against Al Davis. I remember reading something from Anthony Dorsett last year that struck me funny. He said something along the lines, "We know we are the better team. Yet we can't ever figure out how to be on top at the end on the scoreboard." This guy was just playing his first year with the Raiders and he was already trying to talk smack even after his team lost! He must be upset at the Broncos for not playing his dad more--I don't know. The fact that he would say that proved to me that the Broncos have the Raiders all psyched out and that the Raiders in some of those games were beat even before they reached the field.

For the record, I do believe that Gruden is a good coach and that Al Davis finally made a decent football decision. And you're right about the streaks. Denver used to own KC when Marty was there and then they beat them in Mile High in that great MNF game with Montana. Now the Broncos struggle against the Chiefs more than anybody else in the AFC West. I think that as long as Shanahan is in control, it will be hard for Gruden to outmotivate his team compared to Mike's. Yet if anyone can it will be him. I just hate Al Davis so much that I get lots of satisifaction of seeing his face in his little box seat when he knows his team is going to lose again to the Broncos.

It should be a good game and even though I have been talking some smack, I am worried that the streak will come to an end. After all, all good things must come to an end, right?