1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Computer Help

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Skeezer782, Sep 24, 2001.

Tags:
  1. Skeezer782

Skeezer782 New Member

I have a computer question for all you guys out there. I have a LAN connected to my laptop and for the past week it hasnt worked. I know the line is fine and my roommates LAN works fine and its connected to the same outlet. My computer is reading it just fine but Internet Explorer or any other internet utility will not read it and open with it. I really need this to work and dont want to have to call a repair man. Any help you can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot

2. Bigman

Bigman Member

Let me see if I understand what you said. You can see the other computers hooked up on the lan thru the network neighborhood but can't use the internet explorer to connect to the internet. First thing I'd try is right clicking on your Internet Explorer Icon and checking your properties. Make sure your connection is thru a lan and not modem.

Also if your lan cis onnect to the internet via dsl or cable modem, you might have to reboot the modem to issue new ip addresses to each of the ethernet cards connected to your lan.

With the limited info you've given, this is all I can come up with. Sorry.

3. movement

movement Contributing Member

if youre on win9x/Me, go to start>run> type in winipcfg, win2000, start > run > type cmd > type ipconfig /all see if youre picking up an Ip address. If you get 169.XXX.XXX.XXX that is window's default IP address, try renewing your Ip address. Bigman is right, we need more info, can your laptop ping? make sure the DNS and gateway are correct. if you're not sure on the settings, set them to automatically detect. try rebuilding your TCP/IP stack if you need to.