1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Baylor - Will the football team win a confererence game this year?

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by TedRuxpin, Sep 9, 2001.

1. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

What is the probability that Baylor will win a conference football game this year?

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Slimmer than Ally McBeal's waist.

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

less than 10%

Baylor sucks!

4. dc sports

dc sports Member

Baylor does not suck. They have a decent team. They also should have a much better year with a healthy starting Quarterback.

Their problem is they are in absolutely the worst conference to be in for an average team. They do well against non-conference opponents

Last year they played against two teams ranked #1 in the country (Oklahoma and Newbraska) and something like 6 top ten teams. They played against a soaring Texas, and Texas A&M at home -- where they are almost unbeatable.

You can't be an average or even a good team in the Big 12 and expect to do well. Baylor, Texas Tech, and Oklahoma State are going to be the whipping boys of the big 12 for years to come.

#4 dc sports, Sep 10, 2001
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2001
  5. dc sports

dc sports Member

Just thought I'd add -- This season, they are scheduled to play against three teams currently ranked in the top 6 -- Oklahoma (3), Newbraska(4), and Texas(6).

No team would want to play these three. The Big 12 is tough.

6. Smokey

Are you serious? Baylor is not average. What is your definition of average?

My definition is an average team is at least .500 in conference play. Baylor is .000 in the last two seasons (1999 and 2000). That isn't average. Sorry to offend you if you are a Baylor fan, but that is my definition of sucks.

And speaking of non-conference play, Baylor should be putting a whipping on all non-BCS conference opponents like Arkansas State and North Texas. That isn't impressive. Baylor plays in the Big XII.

Lets take a look at Baylor's record vs. BCS conference opponents (1999 and 2000)

1999 Boston College L 30-29
    2000 Minnesota L 34-9

Record: 0-2
    Big XII Conference Record (1999 and 2000): 0-16

#6 Smokey, Sep 10, 2001
  7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

They're playing ATM, right?

8. dc sports

dc sports Member

They are playing A&M, which is always a tough school, espeically at home. A&M isn't ranked though.

Yes, I graduated from Baylor, so I'm a little defensive.

If you use the deffinition, "an average team is at least .500 in conference play," then they suck. I can't argue with those numbers, and you know it. ;)

The problem is, they aren't in an average conference -- by any stretch of the imagination. Half the Big 12 teams will be contenders every year. The Big 12 is a powerhouse among the division 1-A conferences. Being even at the bottom of a list of schools that includes Newbraska, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, Colorado, A&M (most years) etc. doesn't make them "suck."

There are very few teams you could plug into this conference and do well. Look at the record of the Big 12 teams against everyone else. So far this season, they are 19-4.

If you look at the team, they have fielded some talent. They were consistently competitive in the Southwest Conference -- hence their inclusion in the move to the Big 12. Last year, when they weren't playing top 10 teams, they showed flashes of being competitive, even without a starting QB. They do well against non conference teams.

I'm not saying they are great, or that they are going to take the Big 12 this year -- just that I don't agree that they "suck." They have a decent team, with some good players, but are in a very elite conference, and just haven't been able to compete in this group.

9. gr8-1

I thought Ann Richards had something to do with Baylor being included.

My ATM comment was meant to be facetious.

10. Smokey

This is a story I heard about from Athlon SWC edition in 1995.

When the TV deals were redone in the mid 90's, ABC was going to go with either the Big 8 or the SWC but not both. Texas considered a jump to the Pac-10 while A&M thought about joining the SEC. The Legislature did not want to allow UT and A&M to split conferences. The Big 8 offered both UT and A&M a spot. ABC told the Big 8 that the TV revenue split would be the same for 10 or 12 teams. 12 teams would allow the new Big XII to have a championship game. Basically more money.

Ann Richards lobbied heavily for Baylor. Texas Tech also had people in power. The other SWC programs had fallen on hard times so Baylor and Tech were reasonable choices.

11. gr8-1

Smokey, part of me wishes we had gone to the Pac 10. We match-up better with them academically, and USC/UT and other intriguing match-ups could have been made.

I don't think we have to be in the same conference as ATM to keep our rivalry.

Also, I hate the arrogance of some fans of the original Big 8 that made it seem like they were doing us a favor. Guess where the largest tv markets in the Big 12 are? I can tell you the top 3 are in Texas. Who's doing who a favor?

12. dc sports

dc sports Member

There was some political pull involved with Baylor and Tech. But, they were also the four strongest teams in the Soutwest Conference, and the big four Texas schools sports-wise.

They're probably pretty happy at how it worked out though. If it weren't for Baylor and Tech, A&M would be the Big 10 cellar dweller, and this past couple of years being the exception, UT would be there too. :)

13. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I'm a Baylor grad too. Baylor's football program has been disappointing, no doubt. But dc sports is exactly right....it's ridiculous to say that they suck because they can't win a conference game when they play in one of the toughest conferences in the country. Does UH suck??? Does anyone think they would have done better over the last few years?? How about Rice?? Would they do better??? Of course not...so if Baylor were in the WAC or Conf USA they wouldn't suck because they would have won some conference games?? Come on...that logic is illogical.

14. gr8-1

You're not saying that the big 10 is better than the big 12, are you?

15. Smokey

Take off the green tinted glasses. Not everyone in the Big XII is contending for a national championship. Missouri (3-7 at the time) knocked off the Bears 47-22. Oklahoma State (3-7 at the time) won 50-22. A year earlier, OSU (5-5 at the time in '99) won 34-14. Kansas (4-6 at the time in '99) blew out Baylor 45-10.

If Baylor can't hang with the bad Big XII teams, that doesn't say much about Baylor. No one is expecting Baylor to go 8-0 in conference play. Maybe you guys belong in the WAC or CUSA. Winning in a non BCS conference will help Baylor more in recruiting than losing every weekend even to bad teams. Everyone in the Big XII looks forward to playing Baylor. Maybe Baylor would not suck in a non BCS conference. Comparing your program to UH and Rice is not good.

On UH and Rice, both schools football teams suck in their non BCS conference. Teams like Fresno State, Southern Miss, East Carolina...(other teams) do not suck cause they compete for their conference championship every year.

#15 Smokey, Sep 10, 2001
  16. TedRuxpin

TedRuxpin Member

In my observation, Baylor when under Chuck Reedy was able to recruit talent. The problem was that Chuck could not develop the talent to the full expected potential...ie...Jerod Douglas or Jermaine Alfred. Now, Baylor just doesn't attract much talent at all. (Most of the talent signs with other Big 12 teams- UT, ATM, OU etc..) With so-so talent, and no real cornerstones, Baylor, will just be subpar the next few years. IMO this year, Baylor's shining players will be Cicero, Newhouse, and some RB.

17. Smokey

I was really hard on Baylor. I hope you guys don't take offense :)

18. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

No, he's saying that without Tech and Baylor, the Big 12 would be the Big 10.

12-2=10

19. gr8-1

AHhhhh......regardless. ATM would finish ahead of KU, ISU, OSU, and Baylor. UT would be in the hunt most years.