1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Summer Movies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Dave2000, Sep 2, 2001.

1. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

We established long ago (through the many Napster debates) that many of the people on this board have no problem with stealing, especially when what is being stolen is intellectual property.

I have myself attended several movies on the same day, but I pay for tickets each time. If I'm strapped for cash (or with one of my cheaper friends who refuses to pay more than $4 for a movie), I go to the $2 matinees up the road at the non-stadium seating Cinemark.

2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Dave2k, although my friends try to sneak into movies I always pay for a ticket.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

And you are proud of this? What do your parents think?

4. Matador

Matador Member

I watched two movies in a row at a theater once.

After we saw the first flick we went to the ticket booth and told them we wanted to see another movie. I offered to pay, but they looked at me like I was crazy. The kid thought it was funny that we wanted to pay for another movie and told us to just go back in.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Contributing Member

Yea I knew about the whole WW2 ending, I was talking about the ending between the Josh Hartnett and Ben Affleck characters.

6. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Of the movies I saw this summer:

GOOD (OR GREAT):

Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back - What can I say that hasn't already been said? The middle kind of dragged, but the cameos made this movie (i.e. Affleck and Damon). Best line: "That's the worst idea since they made Greedo fire first." Can't wait for the DVD.

Memento - All I can say is... wow. What an amazing and dark movie. Guy Pierce was great. Go see this one. Definitely not to be missed.

Mummy Returns - In a summer movie season of "meh" movies, this one was the most brainless and enjoyable (I saw). Yes, laws of physics, common sense, logic, and good dialogue were thrown out the window, but, man oh man, I left the theater breathless after this one.

Shrek - It ain't Toy Story, but it more than held its own. Very smart and funny. Ultimately predictable, but great nonetheless.

*Bridget Jones' Diary - Call me nuts, but I rather liked this movie. Smart, funny, and very well done. Renee Zellweger made this movie. Hugh Grant, of course, was "meh."

AVERGAGE:

Final Fantasy - Animation was off the charts. Donald Sutherland's character was so realistic. Liked the whole anime aspect of the movie. Ending was so-so as the movie just sort of ended. The main soldier/love interest looked just like Ben Affleck, but someone else voiced the character, which struck me as odd.

Atlantis - Cool idea, but somewhat poorly executed. I guess different animators drew each character because it really showed. Had its moments, though. Soundtrack is pretty good.

*Legally Blonde - Take Tracy Flick from Election and make her dumber and richer, and you have Legally Blonde. Enjoyable but ultimately forgettable.

BLAH:

Cats and Dogs - Too much of a kiddy movie for me. Jeff Goldblum ruined this movie for me by acting like the same freakin character he has ever played in every movie he's been in. Mr. Tinkles (Jack from "Will and Grace") carried this movie (albeit, to depths of mediocrity).

Jurassic Park III - More of the second movie minus Jeff "Annoying is thy name" Goldblum. Way too short of a movie. Ending was incredibly anti-climatic. Needed a little more oomph, in my opinion (like more death defying situations). Worth a rent... maybe.

AVOIDED:

Bubble Boy
    Tomb Raider (I'll rent it)
    The Animal
    Planet of the Apes
    Pearl Harbor
    Summer Catch
    American Outlaws
    A Knight's Tale
    Ghost of Mars

MISSED (OR JUST LAZY):

Osmosis Jones
    Rush Hour 2
    Rat Race
    American Pie 2

*Girlfriend dragged me to movie

7. Dave2000

Its funny you say that. I got it from them. Hell, they do it almost every weekend. Its funny though, when I was little, I felt all guilty not paying for another ticket and was shy to sneak in to another flick. Now I just don't care. :D

Another funny thought is that I follow the box office reciepts every monday. I feel that I cheated some of those movies. But I can say this, I PAID to see Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back and American Pie 2 TWICE! :D

8. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

By the way, I would've listed Memento, but I saw that before the summer, so I didn't think it counted for this thread.

I loved Memento, though. Can't wait to pick up the DVD on Tuesday.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

that was the gayest movie scene ever filmed (and not in the good way)

10. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

Well, I don't have much to add (nor the will too add it) but allow me to make this public service announcement:

Avoid Jeepers Creepers at any and all costs!

Horrible beyond all beleif.

Oh yeah, go see Rat Race!

11. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

I too would of listed Memento as it has been one of my favorite movies this year but I saw it in april, thus not summer. Those who haven't seen it need to rent it, but I wouldn't pick up the dvd just yet, a special edition is in the works.

12. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

What was Jeepers Creepers about. Can someone who has seen it provide a good recap of the movie. I do not plan on seeing it but was curious.

I think Shrek was the best movie this summer. Eddie Murphy at his best.

13. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Jeepers was one of the best horror movies I've seen in the past couple of years, chud.com's appendage the creature corner has been all over it for months. They have practically everything about it that you would want to know.

14. chuck taylor

chuck taylor Member

I went to see "The Deep End" two weeks ago (in L.A.), because the New Yorker Magazine called it "the best movie of 2001".

The movie was terrible, but I should have known better. Has anybody ever tried to read a New Yorker magazine?

15. Hydra

Hydra Member

VecseySex,

How can you not like Jeff Goldblum?:eek: And to say that he plays the same character in every movie is just wrong.:mad: In the Fly his character is much different than in Earth Girls Are Easy, who is radically different from his character in Holy Man. Sure some of his roles are similar (the Fly, Jurassic Park I&II) but that is probably just typecasting. A good actor with a great voice, very believable when he is explaining things. Plus an excellent ability to deliver sarcasm.

16. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

The last thing I would ever want to hear about is Peter Vecsey having sex. :eek:

17. VesceySux

VesceySux Contributing Member

Typical Jeff Goldblum dialogue:

Jurassic Park: "Must go faster... Must go faster..."

Independence Day: "Must go faster... Must go faster..."

Wow, such acting prowess. Did you even see Cats and Dogs, Hydra? He dragged that movie down single-handedly. Goldblum peaked in such 80s classics like Transylvania 6-5000, The Fly, and Vibes (along with Ed Beagley, Jr.). As long as he continues to pimp Apple (badly, I may add) and stays away from cinema all together, I'll be happy.

Ok, Memento wasn't a summer movie (my mistake), but damnit, it belonged in my summer movie analysis. Too good of a movie not to be mentioned. :D

18. Dave2000

I have always liked Jeff Goldblum. He also manages to be in the big budget movies. Hell, i liked him in JP2 more than Sam Neil in JP3. I thought he was hilarious in Nine Months. But at all cost, I had to pass on Cats and Dogs.