1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

College Football Predictions

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Major, Aug 24, 2001.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Being a Miami fan since '83, I can tell you that Miami had never lost to Virginia Tech until Butch Davis became coach. They were like 11-0 all-time, so, yes Miami has beaten the Hokies in Blacksburg and they will beat them this year. If Miami can get by Penn State (JoePa won't have them mediocre 2 years in a row), Washington (a constant thorn), Pittsburgh (don't laugh), and Florida State (always tough at Doak Campbell no matter who they have), then Miami should be focused and ready to take Tech out. They still owe Tech, in my mind, several a** whippings.

As for USC, you might as well add Michigan, Penn State, Alabama, Ohio State, UCLA, and the most overrated school of all-time, Notre Dame. These are all schools that live by their reputation, but none of them including USC will do anything to be a major player in the national championship race this year.

2. Manny Ramirez

I know that I'm going to make alot of people mad here, but it won't be the first time nor will it be the last. Texas is one of the most overrated schools of all-time !! When is the last time that they did anything?? 20 years ago?? Yet, every year, everybody talks about them as being this dominant team. Look people, as long as Mack Brown is in charge, Texas will never do anything, period !! I loved it when the Canes thumped their a** 46-3 in the '91 Cotton Bowl!!

Oklahoma will have their luck run out this year as well. It's a damn shame that the best team in the country last year, Miami, never got their chance to prove it because of the BCS bias to Florida State. If Oklahoma had played Miami last year, it wouldn't have been pretty for OU fans. In my mind, you might as well put an asterik by Oklahoma's national championship for 2000 because they didn't play the AP #2 team in Miami. People can argue with me all they want about this, but the fact that the BCS has gone back and changed their formula proves that they (the BCS) know that they screwed up and that they screwed Miami.

My personal predicition is that Florida will play Oklahoma and absolutely annihilate the Sooners. Miami will probably lose to FSU since it's at FSU and then FSU will lose in the swamp to Florida. The best thing that college football can do is get a playoff and then there would never be any arguments on who the best team is. I have never understood why they don't do this.

3. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Did I ever say Tennessee was ever good? Last year, the SEC sucked ass... Someone had to win the Tenn/KSU game right?

4. Major

Major Member

<B>In my mind, you might as well put an asterik by Oklahoma's national championship for 2000 because they didn't play the AP #2 team in Miami. </B>

I've never understood this whole line that Miami deserved to be in the championship game. They had their chance -- and they blew it by losing to Washington and playing in a suckass conference. They had two "big" wins last year -- Florida State (they won at home in the last few minutes) and Virginia Tech (with a gimpy Michael Vick).

If Miami deserved to be in the title game, why didn't Washington? They had the same record, a tougher schedule, one loss to a top-10 team (like Miami), and they beat Miami head-to-head. I don't see any reason that Miami deserved it more than Washington.

Regardless, Miami didn't get screwed. They lost a game and put their chances in the hands of someone else. There were several one-loss teams, and Miami didn't deserve to compete any more than any of the others.

5. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

manny,

ill agree weve been overhyped in the past but so was miami during your downturn in the 90's,

i put no stock in preseason rankings as ive seen the truth being a diehard longhorn fan, but im sorry this year it isnt the case, i agree miami will be tough, but i think you fsu and florida knock each other out

as for texas, we have the schedule and talent to do it this year, i understand being skeptical but its crap to just assume we will never win it ever, esp when we recruit as well as you guys, plus who thought ou had what it took to win the big games last year, but they did, i might be wrong but i see no reason why texas shouldnt be in pasadena january 3rd this offseason, there are question marks of course but the canes arent without them, like how do you replace dan morgan,santana moss,reggie wayne, plus butch davis, who managed to restore a once great program back into the elite before departing to cleveland to resurrect the browns.

All I have to say to any longhorn doubters is this: JUST BRING IT!!!!

6. Frank Black

Frank Black Member

You either have a good sense of humor or a warped mind. I know that A&M hasn't been considered a National Championship contender for quite some time. We went to the Sugar Bowl a few years ago and gave Ohio State a great game. Even that year we weren't considered to be contenders. I have no idea what you mean by "choking it away early". Show me some examples. You may be referring to UT's losses to NC State and Stanford. But even then I don't know that they were considered to be a Championship team. Your proclaimed victory over UT is so funny. At least with that I know you were meaning to be comical. Go Cougers!

7. Manny Ramirez

Washington struggled all year in beating teams except for Washington State. They had to come from behind to beat Stanford and California, for Christmas's sake!! Shanna, been there and done that when it comes to the argument about Washington. Yes, Washington beat Miami and Miami beat Florida State, but if you put the 3 teams side by side and look at their overall record and results, Miami, FSU, and Washington is how it would rank in order. Miami couldn't help that Virginia Tech had a gimpy Vick; I'd rather they beat the Hokies with a healthy Vick, so people like you wouldn't use that as a crutch. Using your reasoning, the Broncos in 1999 should have won the Super Bowl instead of going 6-10 but they had a gimpy Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, John Mobley, etc. Injuries are a part of the game -- deal with it. Hell, if it wasn't for injuries, wouldn't the Rockets have had the best record in the West in 1997??

If you really think that Miami didn't get screwed, then answer this question for me: Why did the BCS change their formula for this upcoming year?

8. Manny Ramirez

When Miami went 5-6 in 1997 and lost to FSU 47-0, you never saw the hype that had surrounded Miami. It was only after they beat UCLA at the end of 1998, that Miami got some hype and even then it was minimal. Last year's Canes team was the best one since 1994--so I disagree with you that Miami was overhyped in the mid '90's. There's no question that Texas has talent. Many teams have talent--look at Georgia, but you don't win on paper, you win on the field. I would love to see Texas beat Oklahoma and win the Big 12, but I really feel that Mack Brown is a great recruiter and a mediocre coach. Until he does something with that talent, then I'm always going to be on his a** and be skeptical of his team.

9. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

1. The Big 10 is weak this year but it is still a top 5 conference. The SEC will also be down this year. I think the Big 12 & PAC 10 are 1 & 2, followed by the SEC, Big 10 and then the Big East (just because Miami & VT will be good but rest of conference will be very bad).
    2. I really think this will be a year where there will be alot of teams with one loss at the end of the year.
    3. If I was going to guess a national championship game I would guess Miami vs Oklahoma.
    4. Texas is a talented team, but they have the ability to win the big games and lose a game they should have no problem in.
    5. Never overlook FSU. They are being overlooked this year but always have talent.

10. Major

Major Member

<B>If you really think that Miami didn't get screwed, then answer this question for me: Why did the BCS change their formula for this upcoming year?</B>

Because the media got all b****y that their choice for #2 didn't get to play. Since the BCS is all about money, and money comes from the media, you make the connection..

<B>Yes, Washington beat Miami and Miami beat Florida State, but if you put the 3 teams side by side and look at their overall record and results, Miami, FSU, and Washington is how it would rank in order. </B>

Based on what? Miami's creampuff BigEast schedule? The fact that Miami lost head-to-head to Washington?

<B>Using your reasoning, the Broncos in 1999 should have won the Super Bowl instead of going 6-10 but they had a gimpy Terrell Davis, Shannon Sharpe, John Mobley, etc. </B>

Ummm, you're the one saying Miami got screwed and playing the "what-if" card saying Miami would have beaten Oklahoma. I think Oklahoma earned their championship by beating every team put in their path. Miami could have done the same if they had just beaten the Washington team you claim they are superior to.

<B>Hell, if it wasn't for injuries, wouldn't the Rockets have had the best record in the West in 1997??</B>

Who knows, who cares. It didn't happen. Miami didn't beat Oklahoma either.

11. Manny Ramirez

BUZZZZ! WRONG ANSWER!! Thanks for playing, but try again!! FSU is the media darling, not Miami. So your excuse there is weak and doesn't hold up.

As Cat would say, the stats. Look at Miami's, FSU's, and Washington's results, offensive stats, defensive stats, etc. Yea, Miami plays Temple and Rutgers, but that's no different than Texas playing Baylor and Oklahoma State. The fact is the Big East had 5 teams playing in bowl games with another team bowl eligible. That's 6 out of 8 teams plus games against Florida State and Washington. Hardly creampuff to me. Also, the Big East went 4-1 in bowl games last year. Am I saying that the Big East is better than the Big 12? No, but it is not as weak as people would have you think.

I have no idea what your argument means here. I was talking about your comment on a "gimpy" Vick and how you inferred that Miami was lucky to beat Tech. My point is that injuries is a part of the game and you play with what you got. The '99 Denver Broncos had the talent to reach the playoffs, but injuries killed their season. Using your logic, all the teams that beat them after they had lost Davis, Sharpe, Mobley, etc. were "lucky". Your rebuttal to this shows you don't know what you are talking about because you are rebutting something that is not even mentioned in that phrase.

Once again, the reference to the '97 Rockets was brought up because of your inference that any team is lucky to win a game if the other team had a significant player hurt. Once again, you missed the boat on this one. Miami didn't beat Oklahoma because they never got the chance to play them. It's too bad because if they did played and Oklahoma had beaten them, then you would never be hearing me talk about this, but because they didn't, then you are going to hear about it. I can argue with you on this all day long--you're not the first. I've heard all the BS about this and it doesn't hold water. The fact that the BCS is changing their formula (your rebuttal being too weak to satisfy the original question I posed to you) shows that what I'm saying is true: Miami got screwed by not getting to play Oklahoma. It's not Oklahoma's fault that the system is messed up, but if I was them, I would have a hollow feeling knowing that I didn't play the best team. I guess you're a Texas fan, so I can understand your frustration and bitterness. It's not like your Texas team will ever do anything!

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

So the SEC is better this year because..........?????? What's different about the SEC this year??

KSU didn't just win, they dominated them. Tennessee is a top ten rated team THIS YEAR, I know, but they were probably the 3rd or 4th best SEC team last year. KSU was probably the second or third best Big 12 team last year.

13. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Corso may be an "ass", but has Texas done anything to shut him up. Nope.

With the Horns schedule, they should be 11-0 headed to Dallas.

Texas is 0-2 vs. K-State in Big XII play. Although Texas is 2-1 vs. Nebraska in Big XII, the only loss happened in the biggest game. I don't think anything there will change.

Also since the first Big XII Championship game, the winner in North sites has been a South team

1996 Texas St. Louis
    1998 Texas A&M St. Louis
    2000 Oklahoma Kansas City

While in South sites, the winner has been a North team.

1997 Nebraska San Antonio
    1999 Nebraska San Antonio
    2001 ????? Dallas

I don't think anything will change.

14. Live

Live Member

I could see this happening.

Say whatever you want about OU's performance Sat., their D is ABSOLUTELY AWESOME! That's the type of D that's at FSU, Miss St., and 'Bama! I think OU & UT will be the game of the year.

As for Virginia Tech, they should actually be better than last year. Improved D, a more explosive and balanced O, and the Canes come to Blacksburg.

My sleeper teams:

UCLA - deep, well-balanced, a healthy Foster (plus experience) gives them a slight edge over UT in terms of offense, UW, OSU (OH & OR), and UO in Pasadena, but must travel to Bama to start season, has any team ever played for a championship in home stadium?

LSU - deep, well-balanced, Toefield(sp?) will be best back in country by year's end, AUB & UF in Baton Rouge, but Tenn & Bama on road, Davey must stay healthy (not likely)

Tenn - deep, well-balanced, like UCLA backs give Tenn a slight edge over UT in terms of offense, very similar to '99 NC team

FSU - still has as much talent as anyone, Miami comes to Tallahasee this year but they have to go to Gainesville

If UT can run the ball, they have a great shot at playing in the Rose Bowl. But what's to stop OU or KSU from playing a modified nickel defense (put a CB at S, and S at LB) to stop those great UT wideouts?

We'll find out soon enough.

15. Major

Major Member

<B>BUZZZZ! WRONG ANSWER!! Thanks for playing, but try again!! FSU is the media darling, not Miami. So your excuse there is weak and doesn't hold up. </B>

Umm, this has nothing to do with the "media darling". It has to do with the fact that Miami was ranked #2, ahead of FSU. That is the only reason there was a controversy -- the media poll didn't fit the BCS rankings.

<B>. Look at Miami's, FSU's, and Washington's results, offensive stats, defensive stats, etc. Yea, Miami plays Temple and Rutgers, but that's no different than Texas playing Baylor and Oklahoma State. </B>

And Texas had a crappy schedule last year (and this year too). Top-to-bottom, Washington's schedule was tougher than Miami's. The Big East is consistently rated the #5 or #6 conference (with the ACC), while the Pac-10 is consistently in the Top 4. Last year, the Pac-10 was rated the #1 conference (I disagree, but I'm biased) by the computers.

<B>I was talking about your comment on a "gimpy" Vick and how you inferred that Miami was lucky to beat Tech. </B>

No, I never said they were lucky. I said that they only had 2 wins against good opponents last year. I also pointed out that one of those happened to be against a team with a gimpy star player. You made any inferences from that.

<B>Using your logic, all the teams that beat them after they had lost Davis, Sharpe, Mobley, etc. were "lucky". </B>

Again, I never said they were lucky. You made that part up yourself.

<B>Your rebuttal to this shows you don't know what you are talking about because you are rebutting something that is not even mentioned in that phrase</B>

LOL.. I can't rebutt things when you make up statements and attribute them to me.

<B>Miami didn't beat Oklahoma because they never got the chance to play them. </B>

That's because they couldn't beat a Washington team that you say they are better than.

<B>It's too bad because if they did played and Oklahoma had beaten them</B>

Right.... They couldn't beat Washington, but they'd defeat the Oklahoma team that destroyed Nebraska, K-State, and FSU.

<B>Miami got screwed by not getting to play Oklahoma.</B>

No, Miami didn't take care of their own business. Play a weaker schedule, then you have to perform better than the other teams. FSU had a similar record and a tougher schedule. Why exactly did Miami deserve it more than FSU again? (Reminder: if you go to the "Miami beat FSU" then I will bring up Washington again, who also had a tougher schedule, equal record, and beat Miami)

<B>I guess you're a Texas fan, so I can understand your frustration and bitterness. It's not like your Texas team will ever do anything!</B>

LOL... I'm not the bitter one. The team that deserved the title won -- Oklahoma. You're playing the "Miami WOULD HAVE won if only.." game. Unfortunately for you, your Miami team lost a game and blew their chance.

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

I find it funny that a poster named after a player who never has won a title (Manny), who roots for a team that hasn't won a title in 80+ years (Red Sox), would diss someone else because their team hasn't won a national title recently. It's all about the scoreboard, isn't it? Washington 34, Miami 29.

17. Manny Ramirez

Shanna: We are going to have to agree to disagree here. In one of your earlier responses, you selected a phrase from my post about the '99 Broncos and all the injuries they had. Your response had nothing to do with what you selected. Thus, it made it pretty hard (and still hard) to understand what you are saying. As for the injuries--yea, you never said that Miami was lucky to win with a gimpy Vick, but if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then guess what? It's a duck. It was pretty obvious to everyone here what you were saying there. I hardly think that 13-2 was destroying anybody. Yes, Oklahoma dominated FSU defensively, but Oklahoma's offense had just as hard of a time against FSU's defense for most of the game. 51-0 or better yet 46-3 is destroying someone, not 13-2. And last I checked, Oklahoma did not "destroy" Kansas State in either one of their 2 games last season especially in the Big 12 title game where if KSU recovers the onside kick at the end of the game, they still theoretically have a chance.

I think everyone can agree that last year was a year where a playoff was needed. Yes, Oklahoma was undefeated, but there were several other teams that you can make an argument for to play them. Obviously, I felt it was Miami that should have played them, the BCS felt it was FSU, and other people felt it was Washington and even Oregon State. It's frustrating to see a great sport like college football be so stubborn and not get a playoff. Maybe they did this on purpose, so people like you and me have something to argue about.

18. Manny Ramirez

You are so right, Sam I Am... Miami 46, Texas 3 in the '91 Cotton Bowl !!:p

19. THE BREESE

THE BREESE Member

i still think that A&M is going to surprise people this year. If not by being in the big XII race then buy spoiling somebones championsip hopes (Texas)