1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How We Can Get Jahidi & Mihm - Cato

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Aug 20, 2001.

1. treeman

treeman Member

If you can propose a realistic Cato trade scenario, then I'm all ears.

Can't be done at this point in time

2. oeilpere

oeilpere Member

Actually, Shark has managed to put a lot of names that are being shopped around out there despite what some of you think. The trade is lopsided and it does have some features that would kill it outright. But, Shark has done some homework on this too.

1. Regardless of what you are forcing yourselves to think .... Miller, White and Mihm are being shopped.

2. Cato's connection with Chicago: It is a given that Floyd and Bill Berry could use the aggressiveness of Cato on this young team. The problem is - will Cato the p***y show up or Cato the "Swatting Gorilla" hanging from the rim show up. They have been more receptive of Cato in the middle since Oak came on board. They know Cato's problem is motivation. Oak on board pulls motivation. Playing solo with a young back up and a chance to NOT be under the shadow of a legend like Hakeem would make Cato even more attractive. They want to unload Miller. Artest has been vigorously shopped by Krause early in the summer.

3. Tyrone Nesby can play good ball and is a good role player. He is also expendable .

4. The Walt for White ticket is NOT as outlandish as a lot of you are portraying. Both teams may surprise everyone by adding and subtracting a couple things, and eventually finding that some sort of deal can be beneficial to both.

5. The Rockets are ready for one more minor move ... or one more multi player move. Don't discount the intestinal fortitude of CD when it come to trades. He feels the team is a year and half to two years ahead of schedule and he may jump another year with a couple of sweet moves this summer.

#22 oeilpere, Aug 21, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2001
  3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

pops, you tease.

White and either Miller or Mihm would be a very nice center combo of size/toughness, and range.

On Mihm, since he could only be used as a 4 for them, would a more conventional 4+extras (like K9 Thomas) be of more use to them?

4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Pops,

Thanks for the support. I know this isn't "the deal." However, I thought as you've articulated it had elements worthy of a casual discussion.

Oakley's influence (very good point), combined with Floyd's coaching may ignite Catonic into Swatman. At least I hope they buy that line of reasoning.

Nike,

I looked at the KT option and that could probably fit with an adjustment. I also considered a possible Moochie move to CLEV, but that was too painful. However, that may be what it takes to make this one work.

5. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

I agree with this. I think this is a pretty fair trade for all teams if we give Cleveland KT and a first rounder. Like you said we might have to give Cleveland Mooch to make that work, which I personally would be willing to do for White and Mihm...but for now I'll just pretend they wouldn't...and if we give Chicago a first rounder or their 2 second rounders back it will give them a little insurance on the risk of taking Cato.

This would be an excellent lineup if the Rockets could pull that trade off.

C: White/Mihm (or Mihm/White)
    PF: Taylor/Griffin
    SF: Rice/Nesby/Langhi/Morris
    SG: Mobley/Davis
    PG: Francis/Norris

IR: Collier

6. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

How about this homer trade?

Houston sends Moochie($2 mill)/Cato to Chicago.
    Houston sends Walt to Washington.
    Houston sends KT to Cleveland.

Chicago sends Miller to Houston.
    Chicago sends Fizer to Cleveland.
    Chicago sends Artest to Washington.

Cleveland sends Mihm to Houston.
    Cleveland sends Langdon to Washington.
    Cleveland sends Doleac to Chicago.

Washington sends Hamilton to Cleveland.
    Washington sends Davis/White to Houston.

Throw in picks where ever appropriate.

This trade could only happen if Chicago were to renounce Hoiberg & I've heard that they want to resign him, so it probably wouldn't happen. Doleac's trade restriction expires on Monday & the deal wouldn't have to wait on White's BYC status to change.

Houston gets Miller/Mihm/Davis/White.(Front line taken care of.)

Chicago gets Cato/Moochie.(Gets starting PG & athletic center.)

Cleveland gets KT/Fizer/Hamilton.(Adds offensive punch to lineup.)

Washington gets Walt/Artest/Langdon.(Gets expiring contract, defensive minded SF, & promising young SG.)

Giving us a lineup of:

C: Miller/White/Mihm
    PF: MO/Collier/Griffin
    SF: Rice/Griffin/Langhi
    SG: Mobley/Davis/T-Mo
    PG: Francis/Mobley

Now, let the season begin. :D

#26 Hottoddie, Aug 22, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2001
  7. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Hot,

Interesting variation, but...

- Hamilton is near untouchable in WASH...MJ likes his game and the offense will be built around him, unless MJ returns...if MJ returns he'll play 3 and Ham will be the 2

- Would CLEV really want to undersized PFs? I know they like them, but I just don't see that as a viable option, although they'd love to team Hamilton with Andre Miller I seriously doubt that would happen

- Greg Anthony is CHI's starting PG and I don't Moochie fitting in with their coach or Krause's style

- HOU would be well covered at 5, but how to you distribute the minutes and van you keep them all happy?

To recap, WASH won't ship Hamilton...not sure HOU needs all three, CLEV would be overmanned at PF, and CHI can't deal w/Moochie's hair...I mean flair

I agree Moochie could be involved in this kind of deal, but more likely going to CLEV or maybe even WASH. Either KT or Fizer would fit in CLEV, but not both.

Thanks for your post, some interesting thoughts and variations to the thread.

8. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

I see that Chicago is trying to get rid of Brad Miller, and have interest in Cato. I don't know if Chicago is willing to trade Miller for Cato straight up, or if it's possible, but would the Rockets trade Cato for Miller if it were possible, and then turn around and trade Walt for White, or are they just interested in one center. Having Miller and White would allow Collier to develop, and eventually replace Miller.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Rocks,

Pure speculation...capologists pls confirm, but I believe a Miller for Cato trade would work because CHI is under cap and they could absorb the extra salary off-set from Cato's larger contract.

However, Wiz for Jahidi wouldn't work unless through-ins were included (i.e. Hubert Davis) because the salaries wouldn't work and WASH is over cap...+ because Jahidi is a BYC player his countable salary will change next month, hence references to that trade happening in Sep...if it happens.