1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Pats Stick It To Mrs. Glenn

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Band Geek Mobster, Aug 15, 2001.

1. Band Geek Mobster

Sorry Behad...;)

Glenn's agent plans legal action against NFL

Patriots wide receiver Terry Glenn, already suspended four games by the NFL, has been suspended by the team for the entire season, New England coach Bill Belichick confirmed Wednesday.

Glenn's agent, Jim Gould told ESPN's Chris Mortensen: "This is one of the most screwed up things you will ever see."

Glenn has not shown up at training camp since Aug. 3, when he received word of his league suspension for violating the terms of its substance-abuse program.

Gould said the Patriots told the agent not to bother to show up for a meeting that he and Glenn had requested with Belichick and team management.

"This is about being in training camp and playing football," Belichick told The Associated Press. "I've extended myself and I think the coaching staff has extended itself pretty far.

"I'm going to spend my time and my energy with the players that are here."

The team discussed options, including a trade, before suspending Glenn. Belichick said it was his decision, and he notified owner Robert Kraft, whom he said was "supportive."

NFL management council sources told ESPN's Chris Mortensen that Glenn will have to serve those four games next season after returning from his suspension because the league sanction takes effect when the player is available to play. The NFL management council had not yet received suspension paperwork from the Patriots on Wednesday morning.

The Patriots cannot trade or release Glenn until the start of the NFL's 2002 calendar year, which usually begins either March 1 or 2.

Gould reaffirmed Glenn will aggressively pursue legal channels to overturn both suspensions.

Gould said he called CEO Andy Wasynczuk, offering to have a meeting Tuesday to facilitate Glenn's return to the Patriots.

"I said this ain't getting done," Gould said. "Let's cut through the crap. Let's get Bill Belichick, Terry, me and you in a room and duke it out.

"I want him to play football. He wants to play. You want him to play. Let's get it done."

Wasynczuk called back to say forget the meeting, the team was going to suspend Glenn for the year and will seek recovery of the $11.5 million bonus, Gould said.

A telephone message left with team spokesman Stacey James on Wednesday morning was not immediately returned.

"It proves they never wanted him there," Gould told The Associated Press. "We're going to try and find a way to defend Terry's right against the NFL and its misuse of power."

The NFL already had suspended Glenn for the first four games of the regular season for violating terms of its substance abuse program, which Glenn entered in January 2000. The team's suspension would be based on his 11-day absence from training camp.

Gould said Glenn left training camp because he hadn't been paid since June 15.

"They owe him money and that's why he's not there," he said. "He was at training camp without receiving one penny, yet they felt they had the right to compel him to be there."

By league rules, if Glenn is put on the reserve-left list, he cannot be activated at all that season, and cannot be released or traded. He is in the second year of a new eight-year contract.

"I asked them if I could broker a trade or just release him, and they said they weren't interested," Gould said. "The Patriots might tell you this is tough love, but you might as well take the 'love' out of it."

On Aug. 3, the day Glenn left training camp at Bryant College in Smithfield, R.I., the Patriots sent a standard letter to both Gould and the player stating the receiver had five days to return to camp, or risk being suspended for the season. Glenn also had off-the-field problems during the offseason and originally was excused from camp to attend to personal problems.

In May, he was charged with assault and battery following a dispute with the mother of his 5-year-old son. The woman recanted the charges, but prosecutors are pursuing the case.

Glenn, 27, signed a six-year, $50 million contract extension last year, including the $11.5 million signing bonus. In June, the club withheld a $1 million payment on the bonus until he worked out personal problems.

Last season, Glenn caught 79 passes for 963 yards and six touchdowns while playing all 16 games for the first time in his career.

A 1996 first-round pick, Glenn has 315 career receptions for 4,465 yards and 21 TDs in 64 games with the Patriots. He set an NFL rookie record with 90 receptions but has missed 16 games in his career due to a broken ankle, pulled hamstring and team suspension.

---------------

I'm happy to see the Patriots won't be taken hostage by Terry.

#1 Band Geek Mobster, Aug 15, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2001
  2. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

It's too bad this had to happen, Terry is really a great guy.

3. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This whole thing is odd
    what is really going on. . .
    Hell . . i doubt i'd be at work too long
    if i was not paid when i was suppose
    to.

Rocket River
    Then again . . . some or nothing
    some of the contract sounds better than none

4. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

See? I knew I should not have gone to auto! :mad:

I had him about 10th on my queue, and my queue got wiped out and now I'm f***ed!

Oh well, at least there is a small chance he could play. It could be worse...I didn't pick Jamal Lewis!:eek:

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Bwahahahaha... couldn't have happened to a better nuclear reactor operator, Newbie. :D

Oh well... hopefully one of his 2 best backups will help ease the load for the Patsies... I can only hope so seeing as I have both. BWAAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

This isn't quite as funny as Finn* and Tony Banks, though. :D

Oh, yeah, and WE'RE BOTH IN THE WRONG FORUM! :mad:

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Walking out on your team is like quitting on your team. Should have come back after the letter saying you could be suspended had been received. By then, you've made your point about your money and you've missed very little time so your teammates won't be as pissed off about you squealing out of training camp like whiney biyatch :) .

Poor guy....sounds like he messed up good.

NO FOOTBALL FOR YOU!!!!

Surf

7. Behad

Ok, Dr of Dunk, for the last time......

This is a boiler. I operate 4 of these. It's a simple concept.....water in, steam out.

[​IMG]

This is the reactor hall for a nuclear reactor. I have no idea what goes on in here:

[​IMG]

Learn it, Doc. :D

8. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

So where do you keep the donuts? :)

9. Behad

No need to keep them stored anywhere....they never last long enough! :p

10. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I don't like the looks of that "Fallout" coming out of that smokestack. Sounds like Nuclear waste to me.

As for Banks, I waived him and claimed Quincy "Jones" Carter, so no harm done to my roster.

11. Behad

Bob, there are strict (well, not as strict as they should be...thank you George W.) regulations about the amount of opacity and fallout allowed, including NOx and SOx limits. As long as I stay below those limits, I'm good as gold.

My stack is the tallest stack on the ship channel, 255 ft. If I screw up, believe me, you'll know it! :)

12. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dean-
    Didn't Terry get in trouble for hitting his girlfriend or ex-wife a while back? I think that was the original reason the Pats considered withholding the signing bonus.

I have heard Terry is very naive (and a realtively good guy) and/but constantly makes stupid decisions.

But I am glad the team stood up to him. He has a job to do and he didn't do it.