1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Apple QuickTime problem...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Aug 3, 2001.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Has anyone had the problem of installing Quicktime and it not playing movies on web pages you visit? I just installed 5.0 more than once trying to get it to work. The IE plugins folder had the relevant QT plugin files.

Every time I try to download a movie trailer, it doesn't load the movie. When I visit QuickTime's home page...it tells me QuickTime is not installed correctly.

WTF...I INSTALLED QT 5.0 FROM YOUR SITE FOR MY OS AND IT DOESN'T WORK. I TRIED MULTIPLE TIMES. YOUR PRODUCT SUCKS. WHY WOULDN'T IT WORK? Windows Media Player works and Real Player works....BUT NOT QUICKTIME. DAMN IT ALL TO HELL!!!

F#*K and thanks :)

2. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

I agree. Qicktime sucks. I have it but don't use it much.

3. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can you uninstall it, then re-install it?

4. Surfguy

DoD, I tried to uninstall and re-install several times. The thing is...if I launch the QuickTime player separately and open a URL, then it will open and play a movie. If I try to use the plugin to view movies on a webpage, then it will not work at all. I had this problem prior to rebuilding my machine yesterday but, eventually, I was able to install and get it to work for some reason(seems like random luck). Now, I'm back to it not working and, after like 10 uninstall, reinstalls....I'm inclined to throw in the towel I guess. Did I mention that I took all my apples from my fridge, poured gasoline on them, and set them ablaze in my backyard ;).

Pretty f#*king flaky if you ask me.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Surf,

How ironic... I'm on my way to go buy an apple. :D

Keep in mind your Quicktime plug-in is running on the OS from hell. :)

Just for kicks, could you send me the site or whatever you're trying to view? I can see if "it works on my machine" (the developer mantra).

6. Surfguy

I was just trying to check out some movie trailers at the QuickTime site. The homepage tells me it is not correctly installed. When I go to the trailers page, I just see the placeholder where the video should load.

7. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

The Britney Spears videos work on it (kinda)

8. Surfguy

I figured this one out. This is a total farse coming out of...who else....Microsoft.

Microsoft IE 5.5 w/ SP2 and IE 6.0 Preview no longer support plugins. Apple Quicktime only makes a plugin and not an ActiveX control for their product. So, you guessed it, you can't use IE 5.5 SP2 or greater to view web pages with Quicktime movies.

And, get this, MS knows of the problem but took down their English 5.5 SP1 download to go back so if you installed IE 5.5 SP2 as your first install...I guess your screwed then. They did, however, leave their SP1 other language download up(the jagoffs).

Turns out there is a long thread in a Quicktime Support Forum discussing this issue. Just thought I would save anyone here the trouble if they run into this. I downloaded Netscape 6 to view trailers. It's the only way I can since I can't find SP1.

I would like to send many thanks out to Microsoft and Quicktime for this debacle. Quicktime is slowly but surely addressing the problem...I guess by writing an ActiveX control. MS is just plain mean to do what their doing...which appears to be dropping support for plugins to cause their users grief and problems. The way we have to find out about this crap is complete BS. Bill Gates needs his butt kicked.

Surf