1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Orlando "Clutch" Merced

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Aug 9, 2001.

1. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

First off, we didnt play you guys when we had randy, that was the year kevin brown got on an unbelievable roll and got the padres into the world series, you are referring to the series two yrs ago when we took game and let it slip away, i still fear you guys but its a very encouraging sign that we went into your house and won the series and the fact it had a playoff feel to it

Now, i dont want to hear about injuries, yes furcal is a blow but whom else, brogna wasnt great and i couldve told you smoltz will have a hard time recovering from tommy john surgery at this stage of his career and veras isnt great either. As for millwood he wasnt the dominating pitcher of 99 last year either and his arm trouble this year just hurts it even more

Your pitching staff isnt nearly the force it once was maddux is still the master but glavine is above average but no where near his past level and while burkett has been outstanding he is still very hittable, especially for a lineup such as the astros.

Overall, it will be exciting in that this yr there are a lot of very good teams but no dominant nl teams that stand out above the rest and while i agree the best is the best until you knock them off the perch, i believe this is as good of year as any for the astros to do that and i do honestly believe we have the most complete team in the national league

2. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

You know, trolling is supposed to be a subtle art, it isn't like a hammer you can just throw around and destroy things with, it's more like a paintbrush that must be used properly, and with the proper paints, to gain it's full effect.

My suggestion would be to study harder and learn how real trolls do it.

Oh yeah, and one more thing, your girlfriend may be a nice person, but umm... unless she's a Senior VP or something of that rank, it doens't really matter what she thinks the company is doing with the braves.

#22 WasabiTheNinjaPimp, Aug 11, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2001
  3. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

And how many rings the Rockets have in their history again?

The Rockets have 2 rings, the exact same number as all the teams I mentioned (Braves, Bills & Jazz) combined .

Well, Atlanta did win a tilte before they came to Atlanta. Does that count? If so, then the Rockets and the chokers are even. :)

4. Almu

Almu Contributing Member

Wasabi,

Well, Wasabi, not that its any of your freakin business, but she is an exec at the company higher than you might think. Lets just say that because the rest is really unnecessary and really none of your bizos. And you have to be dumb, deaf and mute if you don't hear news about a corporation you are working in. They happen either by rumor or by internal email just in case your place of employment has some kind of big brother mentality.

You know, you might be a nice person and all but.......umm...being a moron is a subtle art. Think about that.

DVauthrin, trust me when I tell you that there is nothing to fear about Atlanta except Chipper Jones. The team is a former shell of its self. I have no dilusions about championships this year. Maybe a trip to the Series. But whats the point? To lose again to the freakin Yankees?

I will wait for the next wave of Atlanta pitching before I get excited again. I will wish for a ring this year. But they don't have enough hitting to get it done. They lead the league in ERA and shutouts again though. But that and a token will get you to the Bronx.

Icehouse, I hate you! :)

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

What a play by Orlando Merced last night. :eek: That was one of the best catches I have seen this year. He made that catch with the bases loaded. Too bad the Stros could not win last night. The man is having a great year!

Well as I mentioned earlier in this thread. I was looking forward to seeing another of the Astros young pitching prospects in Carlos Hernandez. I will not have to wait much longer as he just got promoted today from the Astros Double A farm team. This is great as it gives the team a quality left hander in the bullpen (Ron Villone scares the heck out of me.). I really see big things on the way for Carlos. He will be another future starter (and bright star) along with Roy and Wade.

Here is the link from today's Chronicle.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/bb/1007944

6. Major

Major Member

<B>Did you not win 102 games two years ago, win the first game against the Braves and STILL found a way to lose? With Randy Johnson? No Galarraga on the Braves? You guys fully loaded? Did you lose? Yep. </B>

For such a big Braves fan, you'd think you'd remember if you had faced Randy Johnson in the playoffs.... Or maybe you're one of those bandwagon variety fans :)

The two years we lost to the braves were in '97 and '99 (we had RJ in '98). '97 we weren't very good and won the division by default. '99 really sucked, but we certainly weren't healthy throughout the season (I think we were pretty close, minus Alou, during the playoffs though). That was the year all SIX of our season-starting outfielders were hurt at the same time. It got so bad that Biggio & Spiers even played the outfield together at times.

#26 Major, Aug 15, 2001
    Last edited: Aug 15, 2001