1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I need recommendations or suggestions on a purchasing a PC

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by countingcrow, Aug 14, 2001.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I am going to finance a desktop PC. My credit standing is good, so I am looking for a systeam (PC, CD-RW drive, Monitor, Printer) in the $800-$1200 range. I plan to sign up with Time Warner for their RoadRunner internet service. I would greatly appreciate it if any of you techies on the BBS could reommend a good system to me. I have already looked at Gateway's website and there seems to be some pretty good deals there. I looked at Dell's refurbished PCs, but they aren't offering financing on them as of this moment so that option is not viable.

I have heard that in order to sign up for RoadRunner your PC has to have a minimum amount of MHz. Does anyone know the figure?

Just some info:

1.) I won't be playing games on my computer.
    2.) The system must have a CD-RW drive.
    3.) It doesn't matter whether it is refurbished or new as long as it can be financed.
    4.) It must have at least a 17" monitor.

Thanks beforehand on any suggestions!

2. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Are you sure you want to finance a PC...? I only ask because if you can swing it, you really want to pay cash up front for something that depreciates as quickly as a computer.

Trust me on this one. I paid $1500 for mine last summer and its OEM now values it at $418...

...13 months later.

You probably don't want to be making payments on a PC a year from now, if you can avoid it.

If not, email me and I'll FYI you some stuff.

3. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Yeah, let me reiterate that -- DO NOT, DO NOT, DO NOT finance a PC -- if you can swing $500, you can get a good PC from a local shop, with good service. Let me look around a bit and I'll tell you what I find, but like I said, financing is a killer, especially with a PC -- a $1000 PC right now will be worth diddly in a year, and you'll still be paying for it.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

If you have a techie friend, then I would suggest you build it.

You can get parts dirt cheap, and you really do not need to spend that much.

Your most expensive componet will be the monitor. You might want to look online for a monitor with a warrenty. I bought my Princeton 19" for 300 bucks (plus 50 for shipping and handling) The monitor is all around the best place you'll save money.

As for the rest of it, it comes dirt cheap.

5. davo

davo Contributing Member

My only advice is - Don't buy an Emachines computer.

6. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

CountingCrow- If you're looking for a PC in the $800-$1200 range, I suggest buying a Dell Dimension. They're cheap and very reliable. Of course I would recommend the Dimension 8100 because I helped design the motherboard. Dimension L is the low end model and would definitely be sufficient for your use. But for serious punch go with the 8100.