1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sonics sign Calvin Booth to offer sheet ...

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Swopa, Jul 31, 2001.

1. Swopa

Swopa Contributing Member

... and the market for Marc Jackson has just about officially dried up. [​IMG]

http://espn.go.com/nba/news/2001/0731/1233384.html

------------------
    "I personally wouldn't give up my college years for anything. It was the funnest time I have ever had. But with the money they are getting, you can't blame a kid for coming out."
    —Jazz forward Scott Padgett, demonstrating the value of a college education

2. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

"The Seattle SuperSonics, looking for a starting center after the departure of Patrick Ewing, signed Dallas Mavericks backup center Calvin Booth"

Booth as their starting center? Yikes [​IMG]
    This is great news for us though if Hakeem leaves and we go after Marc [​IMG]

3. SteveFrancis3

SteveFrancis3 Contributing Member

Also it says the Sonics lost Jelani McCoy...what's the deal with him? Has he signed with someone already? If he's still available I think the Rockets should offer him some small contract. I love this guys game, he would be a great backup C.

4. Swopa

Great news until you find out how a C/PF tandem of Marc Jackson and Mo Taylor looks on defense. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I personally wouldn't give up my college years for anything. It was the funnest time I have ever had. But with the money they are getting, you can't blame a kid for coming out."

5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

I would rather have Booth as the starter than Marc Jackson.

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Dream threads!

6. Swopa

So did Seattle, which is why they signed Booth.

And the Warriors, IMO, will be much better with Erick Dampier starting and Jackson coming off the bench than vice versa.

For Jackson to be a starting C, his team had better have a tall, shotblocking/defending PF to help him (for example, Ben Wallace in DET or Jermaine O'Neal in IND).

------------------

7. Band Geek Mobster

Swopa,
    Any clue on what Jackson's asking for contract-wise?

------------------
    This post contains no smilies, you must judge my seriousness on your own...

8. Matador

Matador Member

I was wondering what the deal w/ McCoy was also when I read that. TSN.com still says he's a free agent so maybe the Sonics have just stated that won't re-sign him. I like his athleticism and wouldn't mind seeing him in a Rockets uni. I compare him to a poor man's Keon Clark.

------------------

9. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I'm not too excited that Booth's offer sheet was for six years, ~$34 mil. This overpaying for unproven, marginal centers is getting ridiculous! I can't help but feel that the Rockets were the ones to start this by giving Cato the big contract. At least Cato doesn't seem like AS big a waste as he did a month ago. Jackson's market value, however, may be a little too pricy for my tastes.

I also like the idea of getting Jelani McCoy as a bargain-basement value backup center. He's much bigger and stronger than Keon Clark. I'd compare him to Dale Davis - a bruiser who can bang down low with the big boys and run the floor. Now, if he can hold off on the weed during the season, then we'd be talking! [​IMG]

------------------

10. Ren Cooper

Ren Cooper Member

I was hoping the Rockets would go after either Booth or McCoy.Both are good shot blockers but thats about all they can do,but thats what we need,a guy that can come in and clog up the middle and stop all the penetration.The reason we signed Cato!!!

I would still love Marc Jackson though,he has bad laterial movement but can put a body on the post up player and get some rebounds for you,he is a monster and very aggressive.He has a real nice jump shot which Rudy and the staff would love to have with are small lineup.

------------------
    AKA Rendiggler

11. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The Rockets already have a shotblocking SF/PF in Eddie Griffin, so that won't be a problem. I'm trying to figure this out, people say they would rather have Calvin Booth start, a guy who, after 2 years in the league, averages 5.1 points, 4.2 boards, and 1.9 block shots (the blocks are) over Marc Jackson who averaged 13 points and 7.5 rebounds!? Booth hasn't shown any solid offensive game, but people are willing to give him the benefit of the doubt over Booth because he had 2 mediocre seasons to Jackson's one solid season, and he is a shot-blocker? I think Cato showed that shot-blockers don't always equal quality player.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Also keep in mind, that if not for an injury to Marc Jackson he may have won Rookie of the year. 6-10, 270, solid rebounder and only 26 years old, he would be perfect if the Rockets pursue him.

------------------
    What if I say to you that the universe is a three-legged horse, eh? What then?
    - Russell Hoban

13. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I think you're being kind calling Cato a shotblocker.

Given the choice of Booth or Jackson, I would choose Jackson, but it varies, given the situation, in how high teams rank a player.

The Rockets need a hustler, and though Swopa may not agree with the assertion that Jackson is a hustle player, he is an immediate upgrade over anything we have. Also, he has a somewhat polished offensive game, which is a stark difference between he and Booth, who is offensively inept.

The Rockets need more scoring from the frontline than what Mo Taylor and Griffin can provide, thus Jackson is the obvious choice between the two.

Booth is just too one dimensional for my liking, even when taking into account the importance of interior defense.

------------------
    The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation

14. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I'd take Jackson in a heartbeat. He's a legitimate center, which is extremely rare in this league (these days) and from everything I've read and seen, he is very fundamentally sound and would be able to rebound, block a couple shots, and maybe score a few points. I think that's all we need at this position. We have plenty of offense...

As far as I'm concerned, let Seattle and Dallas fight over Booth. So he hit one game winning shot (albeit over the Jazz which you gotta love), but he's not all that and a bag of chips. I'm not saying Jackson is all that, but he's definitely better than Booth.

------------------
    3fingeredgus- never underestimate the heart of a champion!

15. haven

haven Member

You couldn't be more wrong. Jackson is a PF who's too slow for the position.

Jackson: 1. has no post game, 2. can't shoot the 3, 3. blocks .5 shots per game (HORRIBLE!!!), and 4. plays mediocre defense.

What does Jackson do well? Well, he's pretty good at shooting 10-15 foot jumpers and rebounds decently. unfortunately, that's not exactly what Houston needs. Better to enter the Raef Lafrentz derby or take a chance on someone else cheaper.

------------------
    Raef Raef, he's our man...

16. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Aw man, the Rockets were just following in the proud tradition of overpaid marginal big men, going back to the days of Jim McIlvane and Jon Kontract. Overpaid stiffs have graced the game of backetball probably since the first peach basket was hung.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

17. 3fingeredgus

3fingeredgus Member

I have to thoroughly disagree on Jelani McCoy. He's just like Cato... really athletic but he has no desire and he's very lazy. I've lived in Seattle the last 4 years and have seen a lot of Jelani McCoy. I seriously would lump him in the Cato camp.. Some days he played really well, but most of the time, you wondered if he had a pulse...

------------------
    3fingeredgus- never underestimate the heart of a champion!

[This message has been edited by 3fingeredgus (edited August 01, 2001).]

18. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

The game in which KT outhustled everybody GS put on the floor, Jackson included, is my most vivid impression of Marc.

Didn't Cowens call a time out to chew on his team for allowing KT to shine?

Clutch Game Recap

San Franciso Recap

Mango

19. Swopa

What would have been the point?

Short of letting Jackson use one of those motorized mini-scooters to get up and down the floor faster, there wasn't much they could do. :D