1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Missouri Town May Evict Unmarried Parents

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Lil Pun, May 17, 2006.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Mo. Town Denies Unmarried Couple Permit

BLACK JACK, Mo. - The city council has rejected a measure allowing unmarried couples with multiple children to live together, and the mayor said those who fall into that category could soon face eviction.

Olivia Shelltrack and Fondrey Loving were denied an occupancy permit after moving into a home in this St. Louis suburb because they have three children and are not married.

The town's planning and zoning commission proposed a change in the law, but the measure was rejected Tuesday by the city council in a 5-3 vote.

"I'm just shocked," Shelltrack said. "I really thought this would all be over, and we could go on with our lives."

The current ordinance prohibits more than three people from living together unless they are related by "blood, marriage or adoption." The defeated measure would have changed the definition of a family to include unmarried couples with two or more children.

Mayor Norman McCourt declined to be interviewed but said in a statement that those who do not meet the town's definition of family could soon face eviction.

Black Jack's special counsel, Sheldon Stock, declined to say whether the city will seek to remove Loving and Shelltrack from their home.

2. losttexan

losttexan Contributing Member

This is so sad. This is what you get when you have "second class" citizens.

Americans, who have committed no crime, being discriminated against just because they have a different set of values than the majority, is a byproduct of all this "gay marriage" hatred.

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Are they paying rent, or living off of the city taxes?

DD

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

WTF? Do the "couple" have to prove their couple-ness? Or does the city have to prove that the two people are not just roomates?

5. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It says they moved into a suburb.

6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

wow what a bunch of crap.

how is this even constitutional?

7. DaDakota

Seems kind of strange, is it any different than what the home owners associations do?

I know that in San Marcos they had zoning to stop a lot of college students from renting in certain neighborhoods. This law sounds a lot like that one.

DD

8. Lil Pun

Wow, was it ever challenged?

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Another prime example of why I got out of St. Louis. There is just a strange mentality that flows amongst the locals there.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

just like Jesus would do.

"look at all these sinners...alright quiet down. i've performed many miracles. i've healed many people. all just to tell you....you're all evil...and there's no hope. thank you."

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Black Jack, MO is just following the advanced copy of the book they received from Washington, DC, "How to Live A Proper Life Under the New Bush Order".

12. DaDakota

I can't remember if anyone challenged it but I think neighborhood associations do similar things by not allowing peole to rent out their houses.

Seems to me that it is legal, but is it ethical?

Also, what about common law marriage, does that count?

DD

13. Lil Pun

Huh???

14. Lil Pun

Neighborhood associations do it similarly how? What about actually buying a house instead of renting, do neighborhood associations have control over that too?

Common law marriage, is that where if you've lived together a certain period of time you are basically considered married?

15. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

You must have missed the video, it is really funny.

16. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

17. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I lived in Silverlake for 7 years or so and got to know their deed restrictions. One of them is that you were prohibited from having a "home business" which probably gives them enough room to prevent you from renting out a room. They also restricted you from adding a garage apartment. I suspect that they did not want you rent that out either.

(As an aside I think the rationale for the deed restriction is to allow the community association to get rid of people that they did not like. Some on my favorite unenforced Silverlake deed restrictions were satelite disk visible from the street and the ubiquitous barking dog.)

18. Lil Pun