1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brazil Officially Starts First Uranium Enrichment Facility

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, May 14, 2006.

Tags:
  1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

I think every posters says the same thing but as we see facts aren't always that cut and dry especially when viewed through one's particular lense or selectively taken out of context.

2. Nolen

Nolen Contributing Member

CreepyFloyd- I'm fine with conceding that the translation of the presiden'ts quote is not directly equivalent to "wipe Israel off the map."

What would be far more important is to understand what he really meant, the spirit of what he said. You seem think he could only mean some diplomatic means of 'moving' Israel. He has mentioned as much before. Many of us, including anti-war Bush haters like myself, are more cynical.

Regardless, it is only one quote, and I haven't and won't hinge my opinions on it.

Speaking of opinions- if you dislike American arrogance, take a long look in the mirror- because you are the very picture of arrogance in this thread. Your pretense of speaking only facts ("truth") while coming from a glaringly obvious bias would be laughable if it weren't so annoying.

It's easy for you to paint anyone and everyone who disagrees with you as some neocon rattling for war with Iran. I am utterly, totally, vehemently against any military action against Iran, as I am also utterly and totally against the war as it was and is waged in Iraq.

Nukes are terrifying; it's terrifying that anyone has them. It's terrifying that both Pakistan and India have them. It's terrifying that Israel has them. It's terrifying that Iran could possibly develop them.

Do I find it more terrifying for Iran to have them than, say, France? Or the US? Or Brazil, for that matter? Yes. Would you like to debate that? That would be a more interesting debate, and getting to the heart of the matter.

3. Sishir Chang

You do understand that embassies are the territory of the country the embassy belongs too? Seizing an embassy is an act of war since its occupying territory of an other country.

As for it being payback you ever heard of "two wrongs don't make a right."

Then again I presume these are your irrefutable facts.

4. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

My original point in this thread was that nobody in Iran made the statement attributed to Ahmadinejad. And every time there is an attempt to have a rational discussion about Iran, people bring up that misquote/mistranslation as their only real argument. Now you haven't and I commend you for that.

The same way people have philosophical objections to ideologies like fascism and nazism, Iranians, similar to many including Rabbis, have a philosophical objection to an ideology like zionism, which the UN equated with racism for a very long period of time. Thus, advocating an end to occupation at a conference entitled 'The World Without Zionism' is not a big deal to me. Chants of death to Israel and American should not be taken literally, because they are directed at the policies of the two.

Now everything I say here in the D&D is based on facts, I don't make-up or fabricate information. If I don't know anything, I usually just read the thread and don't say anything. I do offer analysis, but my analytical points of view are also based on facts and evidence as well.

I agree with Kenneth Waltz, nuclear weapons can promote peace. I don't see what's so terrifying, as you put it, about Iran having a nuclear program. They're bending over backwards to accomodate the international community, they've made compromises and are willing to make more, and they're willing to negotiate as well, even with the US directly, and they're program is under international inspection, and they haven't done anything illegal.

5. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

You can continue to say two wrongs dont make a right, but for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction. The overthrow of Mossadegh led to the Iranian Revolution and embassy takeover. Thus, if anybody fails to mention the overthrow of Mossadegh and the imposition of an absolute dictatorship on the Iranian people in the same sentence or breath as the embassy takeover, then their statement should be disregarded, because they've demonstrated how ill-informed they are about Iran and cause and effect as well. Bottom line, Iran is not an aggressor and doesn't have a history of aggression.

6. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Lol, you are your own worst enemy.

7. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

you're still responding to me after all the times you said you wouldn't? all i ask for is a little honesty

8. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

[​IMG]

9. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Uh....halfbreed - I think Creepy was trying to keep his identity secret.

10. Sishir Chang

Yes I know very well about the history regarding Mossadegh overthrow engineered by the CIA and about the Shah. I bring that up to Hayes all the time and yes I know quite a bit about the law of cause and effect. Heck I was in Iran a few months before the revoloution. That still doesn't mean its right. If someone robs my house I don't have the right to rob their house back.

11. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

never said it was right, but this is how things work sometimes...again, iran is not an aggressor not does it have a history of aggression

12. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

Looks like we got two dogs in this thread now!

Halfbreed:

[​IMG]

Hayes:

[​IMG]

13. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Yet another example of you 'not' name-calling, lol.

14. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

what you dont like it? wait, i hear the bell ringing, time for your to start salivating at the thought of civil war somewhere

15. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

it doesn't bother me - the analogy was already thoroughly debunked. it is amusing that you claim you're above such things and now you're searching the net for pictures to post, lol. and that your rants get longer to include new random thoughts. as i indicated earlier, i'm happy for you to keep posting - you are your own worst enemy. :)

16. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

hahaha...

that's pretty funny. That's an old picture of me though.

17. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

good to see you gotta sense of humor

how about some consistency and honesty on your part....are you or are you not gonna stop responding to me? are you or are you not going to stop name-calling? is the bell ringing....again??? pavlov would've been proud of how you proved him correct

18. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

... :D

19. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

That was my honest answer:

"it doesn't bother me - the analogy was already thoroughly debunked. it is amusing that you claim you're above such things and now you're searching the net for pictures to post, lol. and that your rants get longer to include new random thoughts. as i indicated earlier, i'm happy for you to keep posting - you are your own worst enemy."

20. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

you sound like a broken record