1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bush Urges Democracy in Germanny & Then Goes Fishing

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by glynch, May 12, 2006.

1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bush Urges Democracy on Germany Then Goes Fishing
    Posted by Trish | May. 10, 2006, 9:04 am

I hate it when someone writes a commentary so good I wish I’d written it myself. O.K., actually I love it. The Miami Herald’s Ana Menendez made me hate/love her for her column on the president.

While everyone was distracted by Bush’s admission that catching a fish of disputed genus was the highlight of his presidency, we missed other gems in the same interview. Menendez combed the rest of the transcript:
    Meanwhile, no respectable commentator is allowed to point out that the emperor has no mind.

Bush’s interview with Bild, released by the White House press office Sunday, offers the following additions to the startling Bush opus:

“That’s George Washington, the first president, of course. The interesting thing about him is that I read three –Three or four books about him last year. Isn’t that interesting? People say, so what?”

Indeed. Here’s another one:

“Germans have always been incredibly efficient, capable business people, and when they make a product, it is always of the highest quality.”

And finally:

“The point now is how do we work together to achieve important goals. And one such goal is a democracy in Germany.”

Right. And then on to France, England and maybe even the United States.

Satisfying though it might be to cringe and guffaw at Bush’s idiocy, Menedez says the fun is wearing off.

Meanwhile, no respectable commentator is allowed to point out that the emperor has no mind. Democrats, terrified of sounding snobby, would rather retain some fake ‘’credibility'’ than be accused of saying anything interesting. And Republicans . . . Well, what few remain loyal to King George have made a career of crafting apologias whose authors should be arrested for reckless and cruel abuse of the exclamation point…

The leaders are swinging from the monkey bars, but the people are not fooled. Bush’s abysmal approval ratings are no mistake. There’s only so much nonsense that the average citizen can take before it stops being hilarious.

For me, that point came when Bush usurped John McCain in South Carolina before the 2000 election. That was when I had the illogical yet persistent feeling that he was going to be president. It’s been downhill ever since.
    http://www.pensitoreview.com/2006/05/10/bush-urges-democracy-on-germany-then-goes-fishing/

2. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

When reading the entire inteview, it is clear he misspoke. The question concerned Iraq, and he simply said Germany when he meant to say Iraq. It is also clear that the fish comment was a joking one.

3. CreepyFloyd

CreepyFloyd Member

democracy in germany....lol

maybe he's still bitter about gerhard schroeder not wanting to support his illegal invasion and occupation of iraq, but that might be giving bush too much credit

how many more 'slips of the tongue' will it take before people acknowledge that this is a trend or pattern

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Oh boy, when will they ever learn to NEVER, EVER allow GWB to speak in public unless he's being fed what to say and how to say it?

"Democracy in Germany"?!!

Okkkkayyyyyyyyy....

5. user

user Member

I really hope Mr. President will install democracy in Germany. I mean the Iraq is getting boring quickly. And It seems there are not going to be immediate action on Iran because Iran have nuke.

Installing democracy in Germany should be easier because they have no nuke. Let's Shock and Awe the German!!

6. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

on "real time with bill mahr" they said he lied about the fish. he said the largest perch ever recorded was 4lbs and bush said his was 7lbs

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

The transcript of the interview doesn't mention perch:

"The best moment was -- you know, I've had a lot of great moments. I don't know, it's hard to characterize the great moments. They've all been busy moments, by the way. I would say the best moment was when I caught a seven-and-a-half pound large mouth bass on my lake. (Laughter.)"

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

take it up with bill mahr

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

Bush went Fishing?? or Hunting? or playing Golf?

Thats our President ALLRIGHT.