1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Football Chat: Quarterbacks

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Rocket River, Apr 11, 2006.

1. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I don't know if here is the best place or the Texans forum
    It is not about the Texans Per Se

In the league
    to me. . it seems like the Quarterback position is having a slow death
    It is not the players but the Coaches

They are not looking for a Staubach, Montana, Moons, Farves, etc

They are not looking for Gamers . . . Players
    QBs that make plays

They seeking 'Game Managers'
    to me. . it is more boring . . .
    The Qb that slides
    The Qb throws the ball away on 3rd and 10
    The QB that doesn't go vertical

Rocket River

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This is not a Diss of Carr
    DEFINATELY A DISS OF DOM CAPERS

I watched Carr in the Indy game
    The move the pocket. . he out on the run.
    Playing pretty good. . . . Half time 14-14
    Second half. . go back to Caper's crap
    41-14 - BALL GAME!

Rocket River

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Owners love those "play makers" because they sell tickets.

They're fun to watch.. edge of your seat type stuff.

The football purist gags at the thought though.

4. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I think its the whole 3 Strikes or your outta there. Like Capers.

His ass was grass a few weeks into year 4. We shoulda got his conservative ass out of office a long time ago.

There is so much pressure to win and win now in the NFL since it's remarkably easy to fall off the planet (see 05-06 Eagles, 05 Panthers) while its easy to shoot up like Da Bears.

Yes, there was once a time when football was more exciting, and cheerleaders still made adult films, but those were the glory days of football. Now we have everyone lookin for effin Trent Dilfer to be their next Subway manager of a football team.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If there is a gunslinger out there that warrants hype he would get it. I agree that the conservative QB rules but if a player comes along with the talent and tools then any reasonable O. Coordinator is going to free him. Dont bash Capers too much, management failed when they didnt sign any lineman and let Sharper go to bring in the weak undersized Greenwood. Remember 2 years ago Capers was goin for it on 4th in 1 to win games...

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The argument that continues to make no sense to me is the one that goes like this:

you don't have to have a Pro Bowl QB to be a winner.

That statement in the abstract is true. But it's also true as to every other position on the field. And to make decisions about what QB you will draft or pick up in free agency with this notion first in mind is just flat out silly.

"Eh...we don't need Joe Montana...we can win with Trent Dilfer. So we'll pass on Montana and just pick up Dilfer."

7. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Last I checked the consensus best gamer QB active now has 3x the superbowls of any other QB near their prime.

They are just are not many gamer QBs who not only are steady leaders but who can also make a sucky play call into a productive play in high pressure situations (what I think seperates a good QB from a great one), but their value if you have one on your team is every bit as high as ever. Brady and McNabb are the chief reasons NE and Phily have been the best teams in their conferences the better part of the last 5 years. Not the only reason, but by far those teams most important individual players.

8. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I agree
    it seems teams are just looking for
    some one to 'protect' the ball

Rocket River