1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SWIFT DECLARES!!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Cat, May 11, 2000.

1. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

After what seemed like weeks of Swift denying reports that he would enter, he did it officially today. Guys, it's really time to move up now. I think this guy can be a perennial All-Star.
    http://www.lsusports.net/mbtemp.cfm?id=86

He didn't sign with an agent, but it is very rare a player declares for the draft and then decides not to actually enter.

------------------

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

3. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Also, to point out: He's checking his draft status well....I wouldn't hesitate to move to #1, 2, or 3 to get him, and if we told him we would try and move up to get him, why wouldn't he want to come to a team where:

A.) He'd be an ideal cog
    B.) Francis is a POINT GUARD, and will pass to him
    C.) Has a lethal back court, so the defense will have to stretch, giving him his pickings
    D.) Is his favorite team
    E.) Gets to play one last year with Hakeem the Dream
    F.) Doesn't have to move very far (Louisiana to Houston)

That's why he would want Houston, now why would we want him:
    #1. IMO, highest potential that will be reached (Dermarr and Darius may have higher ceilings, but will have trouble getting them)
    #2. Needs low post help. Swift has some moves, and is only 20. Seems very dedicated, and is a good scorer.
    #3. Has low post DEFENSE. No more getting burned by Duncan and Robinson. Cato will have an easier time with a 2nd shot blocker, and will get better as well.
    #4. Athletic ability. Any questions?
    #5. Needs a big man that can compliment Francis, not take away from him.
    #6. Has legitimate size.

Now, I think this will also affect Mihm. I think it'll make him likely to come out, because he won't be able to make up for the loss vs. LSU before. I personally thought that going in, either both would come out, or both would stay. What's the use of dominating a weak division? So he can face the Jayhawks, and the fiercesome ERIC CHENOWITH?

I wouldn't mind if we picked up Swift first, then got his partner in crime, Jabari Smith in round 2.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. Francis3

Francis3 Member

YES! This is great news.

------------------
    President of the Moochie Norris FAN CLUB

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hate to be the party-pooper.

But unless he signs with an agent, he can still withdraw after seeing how the ping-pong balls bounce.

Go to: http://www.nba.com/draft99/draft_rules.html

and look for previous underclassmen. Notice how many Withdrawals there have been. And notice how Lamar Odom withdrew in 1998, and remember how he tried to do it a second time except he signed with an agent accidentally?, instead.

[This message has been edited by heypartner (edited May 11, 2000).]

6. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

How wild.... I saw the story and figured someone was going to post a thread in the "Lottery Race 2000" forum called "SWIFT DECLARES!!!"

I was off by one exclamation mark...

Great news by the way and thanks for the scoop "The Cat"....

------------------
    NOTHING BUT .NET
    CLUTCHCITY.NET

7. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

hp-most guys who withdraw are late first rounders-2nd rounders, who feel they aren't gonna get drafted in round 1, or foreigners. Odom did pull out, I'll give you that, but I doubt his status was top 5 back then.

Swift and Mihm and both CONSENSUS top 3 picks. Unless the order goes TOTALLY wacko, the top 3 are Martin, Mihm, and Swift. Bulls won't take Miles over Mihm. Fizer can't even touch Martin and Swift. Dermarr Johnson is possible, but incredibly doubtful. Besides, remember, the Rockets are gonna win the lottery and draft Swift, right? [​IMG]

Also note: Things can change if the Clippers pick. They may draft a small forward for fear that Odom may be a bust. j/k [​IMG]

------------------

8. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Whoh excuse me
    sorry guys i really thought he wouldnt declare
    all i have to say is

THANK YOU JESUS!!!
    man houston NEEDS this guy. he is the epitome of everything we need on this team. i would really really try to get him even if we needed to get the #1 pick. god this guy is AWESOME

------------------
    --TEX

9. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Salsa-glad to eat crow on that one? [​IMG]

------------------

10. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

We should have known something was coming when the LSU coach said he was going to stay. Right before I came into this forum I was thinking I can live with Miller, now I say we got a get Swift. Again though I ask can Swift play small forward? I ask this because on the front page where has that Rudy said they really got to get that unnamed player, well if he is a power forward then Swift has to play the three or the five. Lets just hope this unamed player who I assume will be another young star better not play the same situation as Swift if we can somehow move up that high.

------------------

11. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

He's a PF. I'd put him at SF before I would put Fizer, simply cause he's quicker, and more athletic. He's got an OK jump shot, that will improve. But, he's a sure fire PF. 6'9'' shot blocking, rebounding, and scoring skills.

------------------

12. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

Hey NIKE
    yah heh crow tastes better than i thought.
    ill eat a whole flock of crows if he comes out and we get him lol.

i have a feeling the player rudy wants is croshere. he wont bug Stro at PF if we somehow got them both.

------------------
    --TEX

13. NIKEstrad

Supporting Member

Dreamcasting....

Rockets win the lottery, pick Swift.

Rockets trade Bryce Drew to Clippers for their mid round pick, nab Olumide or Desmond Mason.

Rockets resign Cuttino Mobley

Sign and trade deal: Walt, part of exception, for Austin Croshere

New lineup:
    Cato
    Swift
    Croshere
    Anderson
    Francis

Bench: Moochie, Mobley, Rogers, KT, Olajuwon, Oyededji/Mason, 2nd round pick.

Time to Dreamcast some more....

------------------

14. SwiftRocket

SwiftRocket Member

If Swift comes out this draft, there is no doubt in my mind that the Rockets should give up everyone,if they have to (except Francis,Mobley and Anderson) to pick him up. If I was Rudy T I'd give up any person except the three i mentioned above. This kid is awesome. He reminds me of KG. I guarantee you he will definetly be an all-star in 3 or 4 years. He is the best player in the draft and there is no doubt about that. I really hope the Rockets get a higher spot than the predicted #9 slot. Recently I was talking to a friend of mine of next year's projected starting lineup.

pg steve
    sg mobley
    sf anderson
    pf swift
    c cato

I also really think that cato is going to work hard this offseason to improve his game. If he has just a bit of work ethic, he would no doubt become a decent player. And to finish this all off I cant wait till May 21st and when the Rockets season starts again. I CANT WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------

15. SlamN

SlamN Member

I like Swift. A lot of experts still have him going around the 10th pick or so. I personally think this guy is a top 5 pick. I hope the Rockets make a move to get a higher pick (if they don't get one of the top 3 during the lottery).

------------------

16. 3pointer

3pointer Member

5 more days and we shall find out where we fall .... Man I hope we get lucky or we get some help from the NBA and really move up on the draft , can u guys imagine if we were to get any of the top 3 picks ? geesh ! I would be static !!!!!!!

------------------
    What now ?