1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2nd Rounders

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by TeXaSalsa, May 6, 2000.

1. TeXaSalsa

TeXaSalsa Contributing Member

While i know that the lottery pick is gonna be good, lets talk about 2nd round picks. this has been discussed some in other threads so ill start and official one.

we have the #38 pick. believe it or not this pick could be very valuable. rudy almost always picks a good player in the 2nd round.

Who SHOULD be there at #38
    1.) Peter Mickeal- a small SF who is terrific on D. it'd be nice to get him because the rockets suck on D pretty bad and shandon and him in time could almost take away 2 options on the court

2.) Lavor Postell- a nice player who can do alot of little things

3.) Eduardo Najera- yes he should be there. a warrior who plays with ALOT of heart.

4.) Dan Langhi- a nice big guy who isnt overly athletic but can shoot the ball. he is a poor man's jason collier, and instead of wasting a lotto pick on collier this could be a better option.

5.) Alvin Jones- dont know much about him but he is big at 6'11 and thats important.

Who COULD be there
    1.) Chris Porter- a superb athlete who right now is being written off. well BS. with the afro and shoes on he is 6'7 which is good enough for me to play SF. he is a superb athlete and an exciting player.

2.) Jabari Smith- a nice big guy who i think definetly has a future as a valuable backup. good rebounder, decent scorer, and believe it or not excellent passer.

3.)Mark Madsen- See Eduardo Najera

4.)Mamadou N'Diaye- he would be a nice player for our team. he is very good on D but raw on O. personally if either Auburn guy is available id love to get one of them.

It'd be a great if they were there but i seriously doubt it
    1.) Ernest Brown- good lord i would be screaming with joy if he was there at this pick then again he was against JUCO competetion.
    2.) Chris Carrawell- a versatile guy who is a good slasher
    3.) Corey Highwater- a scorer who is versatile but then again was against JUCO competetion.
    4.)Desmond Mason- an awesome athletic SF or SG
    5.) JaRon Rush- an excellent SF or SG from UCLA.

------------------
    --TEX

[This message has been edited by TeXaSalsa (edited May 06, 2000).]

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Alvin Jones was the center on the team with Jason Collier (PF). He's a junior, and he's a terrific shot blocker.

If we were to grab Swift (please come out!), I think it'd be nice to bring Smith along....imagine the 2 LSU rookies haunting the big LSU guy (Shaq)

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Brown won't be there. N'Diaye I doubt will be there.

Everyone loves Porter cause he has freakish athleticism, not to mention that cool fro [​IMG] he's got absolutely no shot though.

I personally would prefer to get a PF that can play with Francis, a la Moiso, Swift, Martin, and be his alley oop partner. Najera, Madsen, Brian Cardinal (and his 15 inch vertical, lol), et. al don't appeal to this Rockets team, as they're all bangers who seem to labor when they play, and would not be a solution for this team. None of them are shot blockers either.

If Alvin Jones declares, and is there, I'd grab him in a heartbeat. He could be there as well, he'll be a 2nd rounder, maybe very late first, but he may go too early in round 1. McClintock wouldn't be bad either...you can never have too many 7 footers who run the floor well.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

It would be great if the Rockets got a real contributor in the second round. The centers that were mentioned as possibilities interest me the most. Mate Malisa has been mentioned in another thread as a 6’11 center (not small forward like Mottolla, Langhi, or our 6’10 Bullard) who can really nail the 3 (40 something percent in college). I think he would fit our system and would be a good pick. E. Brown, N’Diaye, Jabari Smith, and Samake are all better than Malisa, but I think the Rockets would have to get kind of lucky for one of them to be available at 38 esp. with the number of teams needing centers. Alvin Jones and Dan McClintock should be there. I don’t know anything about them however. Yao Ming I would pass on, but I would think about Brad Millard. His injury problems would probably scare me away though.

All the SFs mentioned, save Langhi, seem about the same size as Shandon, so I don’t know what they’d do for us. What’s with everyone liking Porter so much? Am I mistaken or isn’t he a 6’5 PF whose too slow to guard SFs let alone SGs and has no outside shot. I like the idea of getting a strong defensive SF who could guard the bigger SFs Shandon struggles with like a Ron Artest. There don’t seem to be any guys like that this year, does there? If we got Darius Miles, there would be no need for one anyway.

I don’t know much about the power forwards who should be available in the second round. Najera’s got heart. Maybe he could become a Malik Rose type of hustle player off the bench. He hasn’t impressed at any of the camps however, and isn’t picked to even go as high as 38 in most mock drafts, so I think I’d prefer to go after one of those centers, Malisa in particular.

------------------

[This message has been edited by oakdogg (edited May 07, 2000).]