1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Donnell Harvey has declared!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Da Man, Apr 26, 2000.

1. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Donney Harvey has just declared for the NBA draft. Where he might be drafted could vary greatly. We're talking late first round to conceivably the lottery. He was the Number One rated high school player in the 1999 class. Monster athlete who plays harder than any player in college basketball. Fierce competitor like you wouldn't believe. Scouts use the term "Warrior" when they describe Harvey. He's got some Elton Brand-like hands. Very raw on Offense. But hits the boards as well as anyone. He hasn't signed an agent so there is still a chance he might go back to Florida. 6'8", 220 lbs.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Da Man (edited April 26, 2000).]

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sweet!! Thanks for that info. Harvey has a nice game, and if we got the Phoenix pick, I'd really take a hard look at him.

------------------
    Rockets fans wanted at hoopsboards.com

Draft Chat, NBA Chat, Team Chat, and more!

3. rocketsfan34

rocketsfan34 Contributing Member

I'm really interested in this guy...we all know we could use a Rodman minus the headaches.

------------------
    Now that the NBA season is over, check out the premiere source for draft info.

Draftsource.net

4. RocketSiv

RocketSiv Member

No suprise here. I am a huge UK fan and when they were trying to recruit him last year I remember him saying if he goes to college it will be for one year. Boozer said something similar so I am going to go out on a limb here and say he may or may not come out.

------------------

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Here is some more info on Harvey. Check out the story about him throwing and than catching a bottle sitting in a car. Man talk about having large wingspan (7 1/2 feet).... WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]

Thursday, 4/27/2000
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Florida's Harvey looks to go pro

Associated Press

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- Florida discovered the price of success again yesterday when center Donnell Harvey said he would explore his options for the upcoming NBA draft.

The 6-foot-8 freshman has long been considered pro material, but the decision, which almost surely means he'll leave, came as something of a surprise.

It's also another blow to the national runners-up, who learned last week that leading scorer Mike Miller intends to play in the NBA next season.

Miller has been projected as a high first-round pick. Harvey's draft status is less certain, although several scouts have said he should have little problem landing in the first round.

"Donnell Harvey is currently exploring his options about the NBA and has expressed an interest in testing the waters about his draft status," coach Billy Donovan said. "We'll be supportive of Donnell in trying to gather that information and we will assist him in making any future decisions."

As long as Harvey doesn't hire an agent, he could return to college, depending on what he finds out about the draft. Internet site HoopsTV.com, which reported Harvey's decision yesterday, cited unnamed sources who said that was unlikely.

Harvey has until a week prior to the June 28 draft to make that decision.

Reached at home in Cuthbert, Ga., Harvey's grandmother told The Associated Press she wasn't "at liberty to discuss" her grandson's decision.

"But when it's final, I'm sure you'll hear," she said.

A high school all-American in almost every national publication, Harvey chose Florida over Auburn in a highly publicized recruiting battle.

Donovan once told of being bowled over when he saw Harvey skip a soda bottle along the ground while sitting inside a car and reaching out the window to get it. His wingspan is estimated to be 7-1/2 feet.

"It was ridiculous," Donovan said of the feat.

Harvey's skills translated quickly to the college game, where he averaged 10 points, good for third on the team, and a team-high seven rebounds.

Before the NCAA tournament started, Donovan said he believed neither Miller nor Harvey would leave. And while Harvey's departure would cap a worst-case scenario for the Gators, it wouldn't necessarily mean an end to Florida's basketball rebirth.

Even without the duo, the Gators would still have guards Brett Nelson and Teddy Dupay, two jewels from Donovan's previous recruiting classes, and center Udonis Haslem, who scored 27 points against Michigan State in the national finals.

Donovan also kept his strong recruiting streak going.

Forward Bonell Colas, an all-state player from North Miami High, has signed a letter of intent to play for the Gators next season, along with highly touted guard Orien Green of Gainesville.

------------------
    "There is Francis backpedaling at full speed to guard Seattle All-Star Gary Payton on a fast break and then leaping as if off a springboard to make a spectacular fingertip block on what appeared to be a sure layup."

6. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

What pro position is Harvey targeted for? From what I saw of him in the NCAA championship game, he is a great low post player, especially for his age. His height and weight suggest that he will be pushed into playing the 3 in the pros. I did not see an outside game from him, so I wonder if he is going to have a tough time transitioning to the pro 3.

I was impressed with how hard Harvey played. The kid is a real fighter and gifted athelete, so I see him working very hard to make it as a pro, which could give him a tremendous upside.

Having said that, Harvey may slide to the mid to late first round. If the Rocks do get a mid first pick from Orlando or Detroit, they might take a chance on Harvey.

------------------

7. Da Man

Da Man Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Power forward is his projected position in the pros.

------------------