1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ohio State's Michael Redd Declares for NBA Draft

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by No Worries, Apr 25, 2000.

1. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The draft just got a little deeper ...

COLUMBUS, Ohio (Reuters) - Ohio State junior guard Michael Redd is
    the latest underclassmen to declare for the NBA draft.

Redd made his intentions known at a news conference Tuesday on the
    Ohio State campus, becoming the 13th player this spring to leave for the
    riches of the professional game.

There was speculation that Redd would declare for the draft to test the
    waters and opt to return to school if he was not happy with his status. But
    that does not appear to be the case.

"My decision to leave is firm," Redd said. "I think it's time for me to
    move on. I think it's also in the best interest of the school. It frees up a
    scholarship for them now instead of me waiting for the deadline (in
    May)."

A 6-6, 215-pound Columbus native, Redd led the Buckeyes in scoring
    last season with 17.3 points per game.

------------------

2. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Michael has a lot of skills, but it doesn't make much sense for him to come out. The draft is loaded at the 2 guard-3 forward positions. Most project him to go low in the 1st round or high in the second.
    Redd is real athletic but he needs refined. He has an inconsistent jumper, & unreliable defense. However the jumper & defense are a common problem for college players.
    He has mentioned that Chicago & Utah would be nice fits for him in interviews this afternoon.
    In my opinion, he is one of the guys who could have really benefitted from an extra year to develop.
    However look for ken Johnson, the OSU big man, to have a huge year next year. He could have an break out year similar to Kenyon his senior year. I don't expent Johnson to have quite the explosion of Kenyon, but I see Johnson being a lottery pick next year.

------------------

3. sir scarvajal

sir scarvajal Member

Yeah, I just saw the NCAA ruled Ken Johnson could get another year at OSU. I thought Redd said he would stay if Johnson would, I guess not. Too bad, I thought he (Johnson) would have been a nice guy to consider drafting. Next year there will be a lot of good near 7-footers--Woods, Mihm, Haywood & Johnson off the top of my head. Mix in Morris, Battier, and probably Murphy, Jefferson & Swift, plus whatever HSclers come out, it will be very rich for front-line people next year.

I would be very inclined to trade this years' #1 for next years #1 if it is with a team like Golden State or Washington (these teams gave away there picks this year and may be desperate to produce now)--who likely will be in the lower half of the lottery again next year. I would even be tempted to trade to Denver if we got next years' #1 from them plus some more choices (they have the #37 pick this year).

I really want to do one of the above trades if we aren't going to be able to draft Moiso, Miller, D. Johnson, or Mo Pete (maybe) this year.

------------------

4. vince

vince Member

great idea Sir scarvajal.

Not a bad idea at all!!!!!

------------------

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

SirS:
    I agree with you. Next year will not be a Championship either way, so adding a year of maturity for Stevie, Mobley, KT would be nice, especially with the possibility of a top 3 pick, and possibly a mid level pick from the Rockets, a pick from Orlando (possibly) and the pick from the Turkan trade is due next year.

------------------