1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is our second pick from Detroit?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Sherlock, Apr 19, 2000.

1. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

Popeye mentioned that Rudi stated in a radio interview a week or so ago, that we might get Orlando's pick, giving us 3 picks this year. Since it isn't looking good about Orlando's pick, that means 2. But which is the second? Is he talking about a second round pick or Detroit's pick? Anyone know?

If it is Detroit's pick, which we might get at the 15 spot, and assuming we get Miles or Miller at 11, who would you want?

I'd like to trade it to a lottery team like LAC or Golden State. But if I had to take a pick, I'd take Moiso.

What does anyone else think?

------------------

2. Achebe

Achebe Contributing Member

Having more than one pick per round is purely hypothetical right now. Rudy was merely assuming that Orlando was going to be in the playoffs and give us their pick.

Their GM mentioned a few days ago that that would not be the case. At least for now.

------------------

3. Sherlock

I know what you mean, but Rudi said he thought with Orlando's pick, we'd end up with 3 picks this year. I understood we traded our second round pick in the Francis trade. Which is the other pick?

[This message has been edited by Sherlock (edited April 19, 2000).]

4. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Detroit pick is a possibility from the Turcan trade. Philly got one of Detroit's 1st rders in the stackhouse-ratliff deals that will eventually be passed on to the rockets. There is speculation of Hill going to Orlando which would send Detroit to the lottery. It would be a pity if Detroit held onto their pick this year and had to give the rockets a lottery pick in the future.

------------------
    "You've got 6 fouls, use them well" -Derrick Coleman

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I'll repeat this again...

Houston will not get Detroit's pick this season. It will not happen. Detroit has no incentive to deliver the pick now. Even assuming Hill leaves and they tank, they would still have an extra pick (via Vancouver) that they could use to fulfill their obligation to Philadelphia (and then to Houston) within the required time frame.
    There is no, I'll repeat that again, no incentive for Detroit to deliver the pick. Won't happen.

------------------

6. Sherlock

Repeat your opinion all you want(which I believe is rational) ... but my question is not getting answered. I've been putting out this question, ever since the excellent thread in which<a href="http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/006316.html">Popeye quotes Rudy's radio interview,</a> but I'm only getting various opinions that I've heard repeatedly on this BBS. Now maybe Popeye threw in his own opinion, but it sounded like he was quoting Rudy. Does anyone actually know?

My question is:

<OL>What is the other pick that Rudy says we have besides our pick and possibly Orlando's? (I assume he knows something more than we do.)

Is Rudy thinking we still have a second round pick, or is there some other pick he is referring to?

Has anyone heard a definitive answer to this question, not just opinions of what we think might or might not happen on this other pick?

------------------

7. Rocket Guard

Rocket Guard Member

Here is the answer(i thimk this is correct)

1.This year we have our first round pick(we owe vancouver a ist rounder but we wont give it this year)
    2.orlando owes us a first rounder from the francis trade but it is NOT probable that they give it this year since they are in the lottery.
    3.Philadelphia owed us a pick from the turkcan trade and they decided to give us one that detroit owed them(from the stack-ratliff trade) but as our friend hobbs pointed out it isn't likely they'll give it this year.

Finally,we dont have a 2nd round pick because we gave it to chicago in the pippen trade,but vancouver owes one to the rockets(francis trade) which i dont know when will be given

got it right??

------------------
    NEVER underestimate the heart of a champion!!!

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Vancouver owes the Rockets a second round pick from when we traded Sam Mack to them a few seasons ago. THAT is why the Rockets will likely have their 2nd rounder.

------------------

9. popeye

popeye Member

Clarification:

In the interview with RT he speculated on what the picks would be and stated something like we would have "... as many as three ..." first rounders.

As Rocket Guard listed and as Bima corrected:

1. We get a first rounder by our finish. We owe Vancover a first rounder which we will likely NOT give them this year. This pick we owe them is protected,that is, we are not required to give them it if we fall in the 1-15 picks. It is also time limited at our option of either year one,two or three.

2. We are owed a first rounder by Orlando and RT speculated in the interview that we will likely get it as Orlando "... looks like they are going to ... " get into the playoffs. Orlando didn't get in and therefore we likely will NOT get their pick this year.

3. We have the Detroit first rounder(via the infamous Philly-Turcan (fiasco?)deal) either this year or next, and it is a pretty fair spec that Detroit will keep this year's pick, and will instead offer next year's draft. Actually I think next year is the final year, and we will get it then (although it also is a "protected" pick.)

4. A second rounder from Vancover (there was a swapping of picks with us ending up with Vancover's second round this year or next year. Something in the back of my mind tells me this pick via the Sam Mack deal, that had us get a second rounder, was originally a "swapped out" for an old second round pick which was attached to a previous deal with Vancover. I thought it was an optional one from a Tim Breaux move three years ago,but I could be wrong). Irregardless, I believe there is NO Vancover option left on it and we will be able to excercise this second rounder THIS year.

5. We OWE Chicago a second rounder from the Pippen (Snake Oil) deal that I believe has one more year of option on it. Usually draft picks have conditions. For instance, they have a three year option that gives the "giver/ower" the option to pick what year the "receiver/owed" gets the pick. Either year one, year two or year three.We will probably opt NOT to GIVE this one this year.

NOTE:

Keep this in mind. The Rockets are well known for making great backroom deals, where picks are swapped out, calculated movement is made through (either up or down) the draft scale. Their scout staff and "special project" people always have accurate knowledge of what each each offered player is worth and more importantly what other teams are after in the draft.

It is this ability that has made them probably one of the top draft day prognosticators in the league. So, ...

(a) Do not be surprised if they trade away a player and our picks for a higher draw.

(b) Do not be surprised if they trade away everything for future drafts.

(c) Do not be surprised if we end up swapping out this year's picks for another team's picks, eliminating all of our "owed to"obligations and obtaining "future considerations" from these same teams.

------------------

[This message has been edited by popeye (edited April 20, 2000).]

10. Sherlock

THANK-YOU!

That's what I was looking for, Popeye. Thanks for giving me that level of detail.

------------------

11. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

popeye thanks for the clarification. I was concerned about something you said "(b) Do not be surprised if they trade away everything for future drafts."

Is this just a possibility to consider or do you think there is a chance that we do this? I am unsure about this possibility. I know I was excited about a lottery pick, but slipping back to 9th-12th (unless we slide in positions 1-3 and depending on if any lottery team behing us silides into these same positions) doesn't enthuse me as much. All the good big men (Martin, Fizer * Mihm) will be gone early leaving us with either guards or small forwards, where we are already pretty well set.
    At the same time I know there are trades coming, and I assume some FA activity. But I don't want to go into next year with essentially the same roster. We saw flashes of brilliance, but I'm not confident that standing status quo (with the exception of FAs, trades) we will be much more than an 8 seed next year.
    Could you clarify what you think about trading for future drafts? Thanks!

------------------