1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros trade rumour

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WasabiTheNinjaPimp, Jul 26, 2001.

1. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

This one is a little more substantiated than the last one i posted, as this one has actually made it to ESPN. The rumor is that the astros and the pirates are working on a Jason Schmidt for Daryle Ward deal, straight up.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

2. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

that'd be sweet.

------------------
    Long Live The Catomic Bomb.

DON'T TRADE DOTEL!

3. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I don't know much about Schmidt, someone inform me. Is he really worth Darlye Ward? All I know is that Jason is pretty young. If he was on a decent team I'd probably pay a little more attention to him, but he's not.

------------------
    Who needs teachers? I can learn my own self.

4. WasabiTheNinjaPimp

WasabiTheNinjaPimp Contributing Member

That's my opinion on the deal too.

------------------
    Anyone need a C/C++/Win32/HTML/PHP/SQL/Java/Perl/x86 coder?

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I would wait until after our series this weekend with the Pirates before making that trade. Schmidt pitched tonight and he wouldn't be ready to go until 4-5 days. The Pirates could use Ward against us right away.

------------------
    Get Ready

6. Timing

Timing Member

As much as I think Daryle will be a really good hitter, I would do this trade. During the game they put out a stat that said Schmidt was the hardest pitcher in the majors to pull. Only 20% of balls hit off of Schmidt were pulled. That would obviously be great for Enron with the short left field. Plus he's like 27 I think and not free agent eligible until 2003. I'd love to have Moises resigned before a trade like this though.

------------------
    "I'm attempting to dream in a world where not many people dream any more." - "Rocket man" Brian Walker

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hold on a minute here. Schmidt is a free agent at the end of the year.

Is it really worth doing this deal?

Personally, I think it is if we re sign Alou.

It may give us a chance to move Redding to the bullpen for some grooming.

DaDakota

------------------
    If you like RTS games, check out this one.

www.frontierwars.com

coming soon to a PC near you.

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Schmidt would definitely solidify the rotation. What worries me is the combined free agency of him and Alou. If you know you can resign Schmidt, and resign Alou OR sign/trade for a legit CF (Damon), then you pull the trigger. I think part of Hidalgo's problem is the move to center, and a real CF would let him move back to right.

I don't think you can move Redding to the pen right now. He came in as a starter, and moving him to the pen could completely destroy his confidence.

------------------
    "I always thought Hakeem was the better offensive player and DRob the better defender." Spurever

Shaq would probably agree.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Don't make this trade if we are not going to resign Schmidt. Drayton also needs to show loyalty to Alou. Alou showed his game last night. He hit a HR and chased down a tough fly ball at the warning track (Pirates would have scored).

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited July 27, 2001).]

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I have my worries about Schmidt. He's pitched well lately, but he's been about a 5 era guy over his career, and he's coming of rotary-cuff surgery.

He throws in the mid 90s, but his control isn't consistent, and I think he could get shelled at EFUS.

As far as I know, he's arbitration-eligible next year.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

11. Colby

Colby Member

I'm really not interested in trading Ward for a pitcher with a carreer 4.60 era with a .271 BA against.

He looked good today though.

------------------
    T-Pooh and BahDakota went up the hill,
    to make a bet on a Forward.
    When it all came down,
    they were nowhere to be found.
    Now they should be drawn and quartered.

[This message has been edited by Colby (edited July 27, 2001).]

12. CAKoudelka

CAKoudelka Contributing Member

Has anyone else heard Astros trading Daryle Ward and Tony McKnight for Pedro Astacio, heard this and just wanna see if anyone else heard something about it

------------------

13. Curly

Curly Member

The Rockies are trying to bank on Astacio's overhyped success. Before Perez was traded, they were trying to move both of them in a package for a rediculous player selection. Like Ward, Redding, Lugo, and I forget the others. Ridiculous, Astacio, has like a 7ERA since the All the hype started, and has sucked win.

But to answer your question...Yes, I have heard it too.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

14. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

i would be of the opinion if they are considering trading ward it means one thing, they fully plan to resign alou and wagner this offseason that is what makes me most happy about this i think

------------------
    How Sweet It Is! How Sweet It Is!
    Gene Peterson on the rockets winning the 1995 championship over the Orlando Magic

15. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

I'm suprised the Rockies didn't ask for Bagwell and Berkman for Astacio, since that would be consistent with their over-inflated opinion of him.

------------------
    The time for logic and reason has come and gone.

It's homer time now. Believe.