1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Girlfriend etiquette

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hitman21, Jul 27, 2001.

Tags:
  1. hitman21

hitman21 Member

I've got a question. Let's say you've got a steady, but you stumble across another possible hookup? Do you:

1. Take all you can get and go out with her
    2. Pass her along to a buddy who is without a female companion

------------------
    the best there is, the best there was, the best there ever will be.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I would pass her along onto a buddy. I would never do anything against my steady.
    [the politically correct answer]

AIN'T NO RINGS ON THOSE FINGERS!!! [The EDDIE MURPHY ANSWER]

Rocket River

------------------

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

You forgot a third option.

Introduce your steady to the wonderful world of Menage A Trois!

------------------
    I figure the odds be 50/50,
    I just might have something to say.

[This message has been edited by mc mark (edited July 27, 2001).]

4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

A relationship is a lot of work; it's much like a job.

That being said, it's very irresponsible to quit your job without something else lined up. Depending on the job, it's usually against the rules to moonlight.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

If you're in love with your steady, don't do it.

If you're not in love with your steady, batten down the hatches and full steam ahead!

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

6. Buck88

Buck88 Contributing Member

Here's the thing Hitman, you need to figure out if this "steady" is the real thing. If so by all means pass her along. But if you are not sure going out with others may help.

This very thing happened to me just recently, I have a new girl working at my office and I asked her if she had any cute friends. She said she did and told me about one. I do have a "steady" but I'm not sure she is "the one", so that is why I agreed to get hooked-up with her friend. But out of love for my friend I decided to pass this girl along to him instead. I have never seen this girl as she forgot to bring her picture by for me to see, so I am only going by what my co-worker has told me.

------------------
    Don't think....just throw. Don't think....just throw.

7. Buck88

I have a question to add to this thread. Is it OK for a guy to date more than one girl when his roommate/bestfriend is without companship. I guess what I am asking is should I go out with two girls or pass one along to my roomate.

------------------

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

From CNN Yesterday

Modern romance: Hanging out and hooking up

July 26, 2001 Posted: 10:24 AM EDT (1424 GMT)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A nationwide study of 1,000 college women suggests that virgins are more prevalent than many would expect, while the traditional courtship rites appear to be disappearing.

But the survey also says that many college women prefer so-called "hook-ups" to dating. Hook-ups are defined as encounters ranging from kissing to sexual intercourse where both participants expect nothing further afterward.

More than a third -- 39 percent -- of respondents described themselves as virgins, and 40 percent said they had had hook-ups. Ten percent of college women responding to the poll said they had hooked up more than six times.

According to the survey, the traditional dating culture is less prevalent. Women said they are rarely asked out on dates and instead experience romantic encounters during informal gatherings of male and female friends, referred to as "hanging out."

The poll says 91 percent of college women reported what was described as a rampant "hook-up culture" on their campuses.

"The common thread throughout all of this is the presence of alcohol," said Kate Kennedy of the Independent Women's Forum, which commissioned the survey.

"There's this group-think mentality in which people go out in packs because it's the comfortable thing to do." Kennedy said that when she was dating not long ago in college, "it was so nerve-wracking. It was almost like taking a final exam. What was the point of doing it? It wasn't fun. Let's just hang out with our friends, it's so much easier."

Other points of the study:

-- Fifty-three percent sai d that "it is a good idea to live with someone before
    deciding to marry him."

-- Ninety-nine percent said, "I believe that when the time is right I will find the
    right person to marry."

-- Sixty-three percent said they would like to meet their future husbands in
    college.

The survey -- which was completed over an 18-month period -- was sponsored by the Independent Women's Forum, a nonprofit, nonpartisan educational group founded in 1992.

http://www.cnn.com/2001/US/07/26/sex.survey/index.html

------------------
    I figure the odds be 50/50,
    I just might have something to say.

9. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

hookup hookup hookup!!!!!!
    jeah... [​IMG]

Just don't get caught by the more "serious" one in the middle of the night with your "hookup" and have her hit you on the head with her keys clenched in her fist while shes trying to get into the bedroom to see that "w****" and you're trying to calm her down and "explain"...trust me, don't let that happen [​IMG]

------------------
    This space left intentionally blank...

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

The best thing you can do is ask yourself how you'd feel if your steady did the hooking up instead of you.

If you can honestly say you wouldn't care (yeah right), then do it...I guess.

------------------
    When you make an assumption, you make an ass out of Uma Thurman.

11. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Pole,

That's a classic analogy.

12. hitman21

hitman21 Member

Good addition Buck88. You also have to ask yourself how you would feel if the tables were turned? How would you feel about your roomate opting to eat all the pie himself or offering a piece to you. Just because one may be flooded with women all at once doesn't mean that he'll never have a dry spell. These things go in cycles. The offer is what it is all about.

------------------

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

If you decide to HOOK UP
    don't get caught

as Al Green would tell you
    GRITS ARE NOT YOUR FRIEND!!!

Rocket River

------------------

14. rock

rock Member

I agree. Relationships are hard work. Women are so sensitive to everything!

------------------
    There is a difference between knowing the path and walking the path.

15. Buck88

Point taken, but what if you have tried to hook him up before, in fact numerous times but none have worked out.....What if he has had girlfriends and never once hooked me up with anyone (and I've known him for years). Even when we didn't talk that much I would think of him. The girl I was with had a hottie for a sister and really wanted to meet him. He turned me down untill it was too late and her sister was moving. Maybe his girlfriends didn't have any friend or maybe he didn't try hard enough whatever the reason I've NEVER had him introduce me to anyone. I've tried and I'll continue to do so but I'm just saying I always seem to be the one tring. I even dated a girl longer than I should have so he could meet her friends. Let me think for a second....I can count at least 7 times I have introduced him to girls. And a few more I'm not counting because of various things. I can count on NO fingers the times he has introduced me to a girl. I'm not mad at him or anything like that, and I'll never stop tring to introduce him to girls, but I guess I should stop dating untill he finds someone.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Buck88 (edited July 27, 2001).]

16. hitman21

hitman21 Member

You sound like a good friend Buck88. Is your friend particular or what? And how is that you get so many women? Are you a "hit" doctor or something. Not dating is a little extreme. Circumstances can effect a persons' availability to hook someone up. All it takes is that one though. Your friend might only hook you up with one girl, but is she's the one then that's all you need. A lot of this can be summarized as a misunderstanding between friends.

------------------

[This message has been edited by hitman21 (edited July 27, 2001).]

17. tozai

tozai Member

maybe he feels like he doesnt need your charity
    It might hurt his ego that he cant get all these girls you get himself.

------------------
    I've got long signature envy

18. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Don't trust anyone.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'll tell you what; it is perfectly OK to be "hooking up" with two or more girls, just as long as you tell them. I'm serious. It works, especially with the ones who have a steady--preferrably a sugar daddy steady.

I'd tell you more, but I usually charge $100/hr consulting on this little gem of women knowledge.

20. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Not to sound cliche but:

The grass is always greener on the other side.

------------------
    I stole your money and I did your daughter at Texas A&M University