1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Damn Jim Rome is funny

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drew_Le, Jul 25, 2001.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Last Word on Fox Sports Net is toned down a lot compared to his radio show. Rome talks a lot of **** about people but when they come on his show he doesn't back it up.

Rome used to have a show on ESPN 2 and he had on Rams QB Jim Everett. Rome started calling him Chris Everett (Evert) after the female tennis player instead of Jim. It pissed off Jim and he told Rome to knock it off. Rome continued, and then Jim got up, pushed the table, and grabbed Rome by the throat.

If you guys think Rome is a tough badass, you should have seen him squirming and apologizing to Jim. I never looked at Rome the same after that.

------------------
    Get Ready

2. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The thing about Rome is, he never claims to be tough, he just throws wisecracks. And Everett wasn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. Besides, a lot of Rocket fans pound on Karl Malone, if Karl Malone got into your face and challenged you to a fight the majority of the people would turn tail and back down. One funny talk show that I love is the Phil Hendrie Show. It is a "fixed" talk show where he has fake guest doing outlandish, off-the-wall segments, like a guy suing a firecracker manufacturer for fireworks going off and causing him to take a dump in his pants. Then he sued the guy laughing at him. The funny thing is, he has people calling up thinking that the guest are real, and not only are the guest fake, they HIM! He does the voices for all of the guest, but they sound completely different from him so if you don't know it's him you think it is a different person. The funniest segment he did was when he was just talking about the news, and he talked about a friend of his who had an old comic book, he said it was something like "Joe Blow Milk Man Detective", about a hard@ss detective who was also a milkman. And if anybody ticked him off he would jump off his milk wagon, grab the back of the guy's car, and you could see the marks he left in the asphalt as he tried to climb onto the car, punch out the rear window and just beat the crap out of the guy. It is hilarious! His site is www.philhendrieshow.com

And here is a link to that segment I just mentioned

http://mfile.akamai.com/5023/wma/philhend.download.akamai.com/5023/shows/01/0 7/philhend010710.asx

You need Windows Media, and it is at the 32:29 mark where he talks about that segment. It had me in tears!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

[This message has been edited by RocksMillenium (edited July 26, 2001).]

3. Band Geek Mobster

The Fight

You need quicktime to see the Everett-Rome confrontation...hilarious footage...

------------------
    So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking,
    Racing around to come up behind you again.
    The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
    Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

4. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

The hilarious thing about that incident was the way Rome fell to the floor. He fall reckless so much as it seemed like he floated to the floor. And he looked like a little girl trying to run from Everett. Just all around funny stuff!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air

5. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

I listn to Rome everday and also agree he is hilarious! I don't always agree with him but he does his homework!
    He also has a great repore with many of his guests. Hearing Rex hudler or Tommy Lasorda rant about their love of baseball is awesome! Those two love the game and Jim kind of gets them started and lets them go. As someone else mentioned Mark Grace is great, as is most any of the athletes from So-Cali. Many of those guys grew up with Rome on the radio and they all seem to get along!
    I'm OUT!

6. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

If Jim E had only restrained himself most people wouldn't know who Rome is. Oh well, it'll go down as one of the classic TV moments of the 90's. Right up there with when Drew Barrymore flashed David Letterman on his Birthday. Ah, what a nice memory, but nicer one for Dave I imagine. This could be a whole other thread.

Anyway, I actually think Rome does a good interview and can be funny. I don't care to hear the clones and he can rehash the same material over and over. I also don't think it's funny when he makes fun of the deaths of innocent people and a sport he knows little about. There's a whole other world out there and the culture of soccer and it's fans is very different than that of American sports.

------------------

7. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Your post just reminded me of something I find to be quite humorous.

Sometimes a newbie comes to the BBS and writes a big long Rome-style post, and then at the end writes "Out". And you're kindof left there like "dude, what's your deal", and there are almost always 3 or 4 threads on the issue already.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

8. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

I also love the "clone's" emails to jim from peter gammons, orinthal, american chewey, silk, and trapper. i especially like this one:

Dear Jim,

My nickname is also "Trigger"

Sincerely,
    Phil Hartmon's Wife

------------------
    What is the difference between Kelvin Cato and Macey Gray??

Macey has bigger hair