1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

They're taking away all the good things in life . . .

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Vengeance, Jul 26, 2001.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

<a href="http://www.themilwaukeechannel.com/mil/news/stories/news-88962320010725-170704.html">Barbecuing May Cause Cancer</a>
    Added To List Of 218 Possible Carcinogens
    MILWAUKEE, 8:54 a.m. CDT July 26, 2001 --

Some researchers say that a backyard cookout could give you cancer.

New suggestions for the government's list of carcinogens can now be found on your own grill.
    A group of researchers wants to add cookout meat to the long list of things that cause cancer.

"Well, if that's the case then we wouldn't have been grilling meat from the beginning," outdoor cook, Clarence Yelvington, said.

Researchers say the danger comes from your meat getting charred.

At the Medical College of Wisconsin, Dr. Andre Balla researches carcinogens every day. He says when your meat is overly done, a chemical in your burgers and brats becomes dangerous.

"When it gets burned, it's transformed into HCH," Balla said.

Researchers say that chemical causes cancer.

The culprit is fat that drips out of your meat, causing flames to blacken the outside.

"That is the most dangerous thing actually, the flare-ups that burn the surface," Balla said.

"I'm 68 years old, and from grilling steaks, I don't know how far back I haven't gotten cancer," outdoor cook Leonard Quint said.

But for those who are worried, Balla says you can pre-cook your meats so the fat doesn't cause flare-ups, or cut the fat off your meat altogether. And once it's on the grill, don't puncture it.

Balla also says you could try cooking smaller pieces, so they cook through faster, and you don't have to burn the outside.

Balla said if you like your meat well-done, it doesn't mean an occasional meal will give you cancer. He said you can have charred meat in moderation.

It seems like everything causes cancer . . . but tofu and wheatgrass.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

2. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Pre-cook the meat? Yeah........

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

MMMMM...Carcinogenic meat...

I know there's a Simpsons quote for that story...I just haven't thought of it yet...

------------------
    Mein bratwurst has a first name, it's F-R-I-T-Z
    Mein bratwurst has a second name, it's S-C-H-N-A-C-K-E-N-P-F-E-F-F-E-R-H-A-U-S-E-N

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This is a bit redundent. The air you breath in Houston is more carcinogenic.

So what do we do? Cook the fat out of the mean and die from cancer, or do we cook it in a pan, eat the fat, and die from a heart attack?

------------------
    "Where there is a will ... I want on it."

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

My mom does that. She's fanatical about food-poisoning bacteria so she pre-cooks just about everything. I think it's just redundant.

------------------
    All hail Fadeaway's Cyberfish -- your 2000-2001 BobFinn* Fantasy Basketball League Champions!

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Some people may say you don't eat the meat to begin with.

... but I'm not saying I'm one of those people. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I'll tell you this, the older I get, the less I trust people. It's true. It's damn true." -- gr8-1 going through some growing pains.

7. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

We're all going to die someday.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Exactly Brian,

As my grandfather used to say…

"You know what happens to people who don't drink, smoke or eat meat?"

They die anyway!

(And he was a drinkin', smokin', charred meat eatin' fool right up to the grand ol' age of 96, god bless em')

------------------
    I figure the odds be 50/50,
    I just might have something to say.

9. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Live till you die.......

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

10. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

Exactly! I'd rather enjoy life and eat charred meat than live a few more years because I ate celery and didn't have fun.

------------------
    I'm looking for a job, so hire me

"And I just have to smile and say 'well, I hope so' while I'm really thinking inside how I'd like to just strangle them and take their job."

11. rock

rock Member

That is not going to stop me from getting my grub on. And if it's BBQ, then I will be getting some serious grub on.

------------------

12. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Truer words were never spoken. Carpe Diem.

------------------
    "Blues is a Healer"
    --John Lee Hooker

13. Jumanji

Jumanji Member

Enjoy the good things.

I've been drinking, smoking and womanizing a good portion of my life and the rest of the time I just wasted.....

------------------
    I let the dogs out.

14. dipdigger

dipdigger New Member

Breathing in and out the same day causes cancer.

------------------

15. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

It is true that blackened meat contains carcinogens as do coffee, sodas, air, water and many other things.

One thing I will say is that I've been around quite a few people who indulged themselves when they were young only to be miserable later in life. Many times, the first half of their life was full of all kinds of things that made them feel great but it took its toll later with heart problems, high blood pressure, etc.

Moderation is the key. I want as much quality of life as I want quantity.

------------------
    Who's your buddy? Who's your pal? I am, aren't I?

16. Curly

Curly Member

WOW! I thought for a second, I was going to have to stop roasting my marshmallows. They aint done until you see flame!

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Seriously everthing seems to be causing cancer, I say start drinking water like crazy and eat vegetables without cooking them, grow em yourself.

------------------
    "banging Shaq is a whole different expirience"-Pete Babcock
    Behold the power of quotation

18. Curly

Curly Member

Things seem to be bad for you for about 8-10 years, then reports come out that "researchers" suggest that foods previously reported as bad for you, are now not that bad for you. Then, a decade later, there bad for you again...etc...
    I say eat what you want to (with moderation) even if it is bad now, it'll probably be good for you in a couple of years.

------------------
    In the end there will be no judges...only witnesses to my greatness.