1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Vacation advice...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Codman, Jul 10, 2001.

1. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

My girlfriend and I are going to Galveston on a mini-vacation. We have been there before, but never got around to doing anything except hanging out on the beaches.(as well as other things on the beach [​IMG])But anyway, I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions of things to do in Galveston OR Houston. My girlfriend wants to go to some "Botanical Garden" place, so I'm not too excited about that. Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
    Cod

------------------
    The Number One Cuttino Mobley Fan! Don't hate..Congratulate!

[This message has been edited by Codman (edited July 10, 2001).]

2. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Moody Gardens is decent. My girl loves it, I think it is okay. They have a restaurant in there with a view of the ocean. Really romantic in the evening time. I have never eaten at this restaurant so I really dont know if the food is good or what.

------------------

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Check out Kemah..it's in between Houston & Galveston basically. Good places to eat in a boardwalk type environment.

The Strand on Galveston is worth seeing..particularly if history interests you. There's a little pier on the bay side that has a museum dedicated to the storm of 1900..pretty interesting, but not sure if that's the kind of stuff you'd be interested in checking out.

I'm trying to remember the name of the little dive I eat at on the east side of the island...it's a short name...they serve cajun style seafood...can anybody help me out?? It's right on the seawall. Damn..this is my fave place on the island, and it's escaping me right now for some reason!

Downtown Houston has a ton to offer right now. If you haven't seen Enron Field, you might want to check it out. It's amazing.

------------------

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I can't imagine why Moody Gardens would be boring. They have an IMAX theater, a really cool rainforest exhibit and a HUGE acquarium.

------------------
    How the hell should I know why God would allow the Holocaust. I don't even know how the electric can opener works. - from Hannah and Her Sisters

5. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Go and lie on the beach and..... oh wait... whoops!

------------------

6. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

These are my stomping grounds.

Definitely go to Moody Gardens; if for nothing else, the Aquarium is steller.

Take your woman to the Strand; she'll love it. Let her do some shopping. Entertain yourself with a beer while she does so because it's okay to walk around there with beer.

Take her up to Kemah as Mad Max suggested. It's worth the trip (you might swing by there on your way back). Again, nice shopping and okay restaurants.

While on the island, eat at the Saltwater grill for Seafood; it's across from the Grand theater near the Strand. Eat at Rudy & Paco's for excellent Steaks and other Churrasco's/South American style fair. It's next door to the Grand. Eat at Apache for Mexican food; it's around the corner from Saltwater Grill. All of these are excellent, and there are several cool bars in that immediate vicinity--including 21. You might also want to try the Mosquito cafe on 13th or the Phoenix on the Strand for breakfast or brunch. There are several other excellent restuarants on or near the Strand too. I think MadMax is talking about Benno's for Seafood on the Sea Wall. They can be somewhat hit or miss, but they have reasonably priced food.

Take her across the ferry, and you might see some dolphins.

If you are there this weekend, and can get tickets, DO NOT miss seeing Sisters Morales at the Old Quarter Accoustic Cafe. It's a total dive, but it's awesome, and the Sister's have to be Houston's best local band. They're kind of a cross between Linda Rondstadt and the Eagles, with a few very beautiful Spanish songs thrown in. They've got an excellent guitarist too.

Take her to the far west end near the pass, walk out on the sand on the North Side of the pass and watch the sun set. That should be more than enough for one weekend.

------------------
    stop posting my damn signature

7. Codman

Damn Guys! Thanks a whole bunch. I've written almost everything down. I'm amazed by the response...especailly to a newbie. [​IMG]
    Pole: Unfortunately I'll be leaving Monday, so I'll miss Sisters Morales. I've heard that they are awesome though. Too bad.

I guess I've also changed my minds about the "Moody Gardens" thing. Everybodys good reviews can't be wrong. The shopping ideas also seem like fun. My lady does LOVE to shop lol.

Any more ideas would also be very helpful.

Thanks again,
    Cod

Nuegebaur: You bet there will be some fun on the beach. [​IMG]

------------------

8. Codman

Hey everybody! I just got back from Galveston and my lady and I had a GREAT time!
    Moody Gardens was a hell of a lot better than I would have expected. And of course..My girl liked Kemah. She kept me there for hours. We also went to the Houston Zoo. No disrespect to those in Houston...but that zoo is pathetic lol. Most of the time however, we went to the beach and fried in the sun. I know that nobody cares to hear this, but I just wanted to thank everybody who had suggestions.

Since, I've been gone for a while, I'm asking that someone give me a brief breakdown of what has been happening in Rocket news. I've read most of the threads, but I just wanted some brief info. Thanks.

Last but not least, as I was flying back home, I sat next to a WNBA ref. His first name is Ernie(didn't catch the last name) and he showed me proof of his profession. Being the Rocket fan that I am, I asked a few questions..one of which Ernie had an answer for. I asked what he thought of the Hakeem situation and told me some dissapointing news. Hakeem has gone to many Utah Stars games in the past weeks and has been sitting with the president(Larry Miller I think it is). Hopefully he won't join the Jazz. I just thought I would share this, without starting a new thread.

Thanks everybody for the ideas,and for reading a crappy post. [​IMG]

Cod

------------------

9. RichRocket

RichRocket Member

Go to the Opera House in Galveston to see "Greater Tuna"-- something like that. It's very funny: a 2-man play with 20-30 characters.

------------------
    "How far you go in life depends on you being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak. Because someday you will have been all of these."

10. AB

AB Contributing Member

Interesting Scoop.. Codman!!. Why don't you postthis in the Rockets game Forum. I guess not many people read this thread.

------------------

[This message has been edited by AB (edited July 26, 2001).]

11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Codman, if you happened to have found a gold wedding band in the weeds at the beach in Galveston, I'd appreciate it if you mailed it to me. I lost it there a couple of months back.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes