1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

suicide.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Holden, Jul 17, 2001.

1. Holden

Holden Member

i dont want to develop the reputation for only creating morbid depressing topics in the "hang out" forum. but i guess ive gotta do what ive gotta do. i really havent done it in a while but i was just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with people close to you committing suicide, and how you delt with it, or if youve ever tried yourself, or thought about it. sorry i just wanted to know...

------------------
    Paranoid, trying to stuff the void.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Hmm.....dont' want to get too personal here, so I won't tell you about my experiences. I sincerely hope you aren't thinking of trying anything though. We all go through cycles of depression, you just have to fight your way through them.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

3. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My little brother tried to committ suicide about a year ago. He took a couple bottles of Tylenol, or some over-the-counter drug. Thankfully, my mom found him in time, and his stomach was pumped.

I can't tell you how I got through it, except that I did. My little brother (he was 18 at the time) would never tell us why he did it. He claims he doesn't remember, but we all know he does, and just doesn't want to tell us. The court ordered that he check into a kind of institution for kids with mental problems (not really sure what to call it). There my parents and brothers went to sessions with the psychologists and discussed things with him, and I think that helped, that he knew how badly it scared us all that we almost lost him.

But I think the thing that helped him the most was all his friends visiting him in the hospital, and voicing to him their opinions of the intelligence he displayed in trying to take his own life. They all explained to him how stupid it was, for any reason. Now, he seems 100% better, and I no longer worry. I have never thought about it myself. So I guess the only bit of advice I can offer up is, if you are thinking about it yourself, talk to your friends and have them remind you of the many reasons for living.

If you know someone thinking about it, try to talk to them, as a friend, about the many reasons to live. Just make sure that you/they are peers and not an authority/parent figure. It seems to me that my brother didn't have any respect for those of us who told him it was stupid, if we weren't his friends. But he listened to his friends, and it helped.

If you have any other questions or just want to talk about it further, send me an email at mattt000@hotmail.com

------------------
    Rockets need power forward. Mo near now. Go near Mo.

You can Run from the bet, you can Rave at the bet...but you just can't hide.

4. Tolpatcsh Verkinder

Yes.

For me, it was all about hope. I thought there was no hope for me, but thankfully someone corrected my mistake. It turns out, that things weren't as bad as I had made them out to be.

If you want to discuss this further, you can e-mail me as well.

------------------
    It was the time of the preacher, in the year of '01
    Now the preachin' is over, and the lessons begun . . .

5. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

OK, OK. When I was 19, I tried to because of a girl (big surprise). In hindsight, I was such an idiot. Although, because of my current problems, some of you think I am still an idiot. [​IMG]

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

6. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Holden-

I have been there man. I know how it feels.

4 months ago, my (now ex) girlfriend tried to do that. It was literally the hardest and most gut wrenching thing that I have had to do in my life. I loved her, and I wanted to do what was best for her.

She made numerous threats, that I took somewhat seriously, but I mostly felt that she was trying to get my attention. A big mistake is dont assume ANYTHING.

On the final episode (threat) she made, I had to break the bathroom door down to get to her when she had a knife in her hand.

I cant tell you how difficult it was to call her parents and tell them what had happened, but I know I did the right thing. I COULD NOT HELP HER ON MY OWN. She needed PROFESSIONAL help that I could not give her.

My point is: TAKE ACTION NOW!!!!

Do not wait....I know I never could live with myself, if something happened to her.

This has been a tough post for me to write, but I thought it was important to tell. I am still going through alot of pain now with all of the vivid flashbacks......

I hope this helps man...

DD

7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

I had one friend who was on the verge of committing suicide. It drove me nuts sometimes ... almost to the point I was ready to give up on him. It takes a lot of comforting and being with them. Most of the time "therapy" works. But it takes lots of time and listening for them to get over it.

------------------
    "Bada Bing!"

8. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Holden, please seek professional help if you are considering suicide. This is the hangout forum on a basketball fans' website. None of us are professional psychiatrists, and we don't know you personally. We aren't your therapist or your family. You're not going to get the kind of support that you seem to need here.

------------------
    I'm so amazingly cool you could keep a side of meat in me for a month. I am so hip that I have difficulty seeing over my pelvis.

9. MoonBus

MoonBus Contributing Member

A very close member of my family attempted suicide few years ago. I discovered it "in time" for them to pump the stomache and removed 2 boxes worth of sleeping pills.

The suicide victim & the spouse was in the process of getting a divorce. The suicide victim could not handle what is about to happen and decided to end it all. This couple were very much in love and had to hurdle over many obstalces to be together (get married). All that almost ended because the spouse could no longer handle the unnecessary mental strain the victim (not recognizing the effect) constantly puts on the spouse, after the marriage.

All family members were worry of the possiblity of a suicide prior to the actual event, but no one though the victim will actually do it. My advice on that is if you think there is a slight possibility that someone you care will attempt to commit suicide, DO NOT brush it off as a joke or just as a faint possibility. Take it very seriously and approach the problem.

There is a "nice" ending to this story. The couple never got divorced and have became even closer than before. They constantly talk about their problems and discuss on how they can improve their relationships.

Ever so often, I would ask the victim if suicide still crosses the mind. The response is no, because the victim realize how many people it will hurt if the victim had actually died. IMHO, the best thing to do is to show a lot, and I mean A LOT of love to a potential victim or an aftermath victim. This won't solve the problem, but it will definately make them think twice before doing such a thing. Once the suicide mindset is "somewhat" removed, then tackle the real problem being it all.

Like SamCassell had said, seek professional help for you, your friend, or your loved one. Personally, I don't believe in it (sorry, if this offends any psychiatrist in here.), but talking to someone is better than talking to no one. Don't leave them alone, if all possible during these "dark" times. Make him/her feel important, not just to one person, but to many. Let him/her know how miserable the people around him/her would be without him/her.

The victim has recovered about 90% (still thinks about it once in a while) mainly because of all the love we showed. I think that was the best medicine.

------------------
    15 years later... Zoom

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I thought about it when John Stockton hit a certain three point shot [​IMG]

------------------
    Reactions after The Rockets got Eddie Griffin for 3 draft picks

"Eddie For 3 ... Yes!!! O Mother!!!!!!!"

11. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

I had an uncle take his life. I struggled to decide if I felt sorry or angry at him. He left a lot of kids without a father/grandfather. Everyone gets depressed, it is part of life. But to take your own life is extremely selfish and cowardice, imo. I empathize with a person who could get to a point to actually do it, but the only thing it accomplishes is hurting their loved ones and friends.

You leave behind people who have to spend the rest of their lives what exactly they did wrong, or what they could have done different to change the outcome.

------------------
    Now this shirt is chafing me

12. RocksMillenium

RocksMillenium Contributing Member

Definitely get some help! I've had family members commit suicide, and attempt to do so and it isn't fun. A classmate I sat next to, and talked to regularly, committed suicide one day, and it just completely shocked me. And there were times where I got REALLY, REALLY depressed and down, and a friend of mine who had tried to commit suicide by slitting her wrist talked to me, and it was a eye opener. You don't realize how far down the road you are until somebody snaps you back into reality. GET SOME HELP NOW!!!!

------------------
    "Instruments are like women: After a while, you want to make love to another."

- Nicolas Godin of the musical duo Air