1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'Soldiers' gear up to defend Christmas?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ubiquitin, Dec 14, 2005.

1. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

2. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

How many people who celebrate Christmas as the birth of Jesus are not also Christian?

And a lot of people who are not Christian now celebrate Christmas, not as a religious holiday, but as a holiday where you get together with famliy, eat food and give presents. How is the transition from pagan holiday to Christian holiday any different from a transition (for some people) of a Christian holiday to a secular one?

Christianity invented love, fellowship and generosity?? I guess the Romans gave each other gifts out of pure hatred during Saturnalia (the Roman holiday marking the Winter Solstice).

3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

4. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

I guess everyone feels the other side has it better than them

5. hotballa

Ok, we can always make a law having the federal government call it Winter Solstice from now on. Christians who want to use the time to celebrate Christ's birthday can simply refer to it as Christmas, everyone else can refer to it as Winter Solstice. Christmas would be like Hannukah, not an official holiday but one well known enough. That way everyone wins and noone is offended. The Christians get to keep the Christmas carols and any other Christmas songs or tales with references to God or Christ or manger, etc. (e.g. little drummer boy) The people who celebrate Winter Solstice get to keep Santa Claus, Christmas trees, cards, and any other commercialized elements of this holiday. Sounds like a good compromise?

6. Mori

Mori Contributing Member

Personally, I don't care if they call it Happy Fun Fun Day. :) I don't understand how having a secularized Christmas prevents you from having a religious one.

7. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I would rather it be Christmas.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

I think we should just remove the "T" since we all pronounce it "Chrismas" anyways.

9. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love it when "Christians" defend Christianity/Christmas without knowing anything about the history of either.

Always good to see lazy Protestantism at its finest.

Since we are sharing, I am a non-Christian who celebrates Christmas (I only use "XMas" in shorthand writing). I decorate (including a manger scene) and give gifts and am generally merry. Of course I also have crucifixes (not crosses) hanging on my walls year-round. Ooh...I am baaaad.

10. hotballa

It's hard to explain. The excellent Boondocks comic strip featured in this thread is a great example of the mixed messages that people get form the secularization of Christmas.