1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A Soldier Speaks

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Nov 18, 2005.

1. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

How do you guys surf the net in Iraq? Do they setup internet cafes in the base? This is awesome.

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Speaking as a fellow ClutchFans.net BBS poster, I wish you good luck, safe and sound.

I have been opposed to this war before it was started. But I can hardly blame you for going to Iraq to make a few extra bucks. You are not a war profiteer, you are not the executives of Halliburton. You risk your own life to go to Iraq because that would make you more economically viable to survive in US after you complete your project and come back in one piece.

This is really sad, isn't it? Have we seen any high-ranking officials from both political parties send their loved ones to the war that they so ardently support? Jessica Lynch went to the war but became permanently disabled, despite all the stunts and publicities. Lyndi England served in the military police unit but was made the scapegoat of the prison abuse scandal, and the sacrificial lamb of the despicable torture policy of this administration. Although not physically injured, England's life is forever in shambles. Heck, I bet the Bush twins and Cheney's daughters are gleeful that someone else are doing the sacrifice on their behalves for their daddies' war that they have no problem supporting.

It's refreshing to see your feedback on the war. BTW, your mentioning of the writings by the soldiers on the walls of urinals reminds me of a post over a couple of months back:

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=1972783&postcount=35

"What I will say is, it is NOT as bad as what you see on TV." When I saw this statement of yours, I thought about advising you to go to visit the places not so heavily green-zoned, but I resisted, out of my concern for your safety.

3. u851662

u851662 Contributing Member

Thank you very much, I am protected by the greatest military in the world, plus my faith is strong.
    Bingo, I am here to make money to better support my family period. Since they are giving it away I would advise anyone to get down here and make the most of it. I thought about it alot and I am not blind to the fact that in a sense I AM a profiteer. It is the AMERICAN way. If not me, then my neighbor would be here trying to better his life for his kids. Plus we are here for the soliders so anything that helps them is more than worth the cause. No blame should e put on the SOLIDERS one way or another period. Personally I supported it with skeptism at first giving my government the benefit of doubt, but the revelations of what really lead up to the war has totally changed my mind. There is a better way this could have been done without alienating so many people, so many countries.

Very true, unfortunately we need some kind of law that states the only people who can authorize war in congress are those who have active family serving in our armed forces. Its a shame it has come to this. I hate the fact that the RESPONSIBLE soliders cant shoot first and answer questions later without possible retribution. Jessica Lynch I feel sorry for. Lyndi England is responsible for her own actions in her case IMO.

True again, the system is flawed. No way I should earn what I do compared to what the "SOLIDERS WHO PROTECT ME" earn. Being in the Military should be one of the highest paying profession in our nation hands down. Why one has not made it so is beyond me. I do not think anyone would have the balls to shoot this proposition down in Congress.
    I stand by my statement on this one, dont get me wrong I am sure it is bad in some places. The analogy I like to use when talking to my family is: We live in Houston, if someone gets shot on the southside, living on the north,east,west-side you may never here about it. It is hard to explain, there are sacrifices everyday. This place will probably implode if we leave now. Zarqarwi must die before we go. I have already said to much so I will leave it be.

#43 u851662, Nov 21, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Stay safe- could you clarify for us, are in the military or working in a private, supporting role? in either case, we wish you well, and it's interesting to have some first hand input from iraq.

5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It sounded like he was a contractor from his very next statement...

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

The thought that you could make up to 3 or 4 times your salay working in Iraq is tempting, not that I would try it though.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

What the heck is a "war profiteer" vs. someone who is just doing their job. We need people to rebuild the infrastructure of Iraq. Halliburton is doing good work trying to get things in working order for the Iraqis. What is the alternative?

By the way, interesting perspective, u851662. Stay out of harms way.

8. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

My brother works for KBR. He's also a 10 year retired vet that did a tour of DS. KBR's asked him several times if he wants to make some extra money.

Thank god, so far, he's said no.