1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Where in Hell...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by giddyup, Nov 3, 2005.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

They and you are definitely entitled to believe differently than I do. My examples do come from the bible, and my opinions on it are all based on what the bible says. So I'm not sure why the Jesus I talked about would in anyway be invalid. What I talked about comes directly from Just Jesus except the part about each person will have to answer to their own master which comes from Paul's letter to the Roman's.

I think sometimes people don't like to really think about things, and want to have a ready answer spelled out to them (i.e. believe this or result x will happen. Surely there are a few things in the bible where that applies. Those are easy answers and don't require people to do much more than follow and not think. But to me spirituality and a relationship with Christ should go deeper than that. It actually requires some thinking.

But I do understand that others can read the exact same bible, and view things differently. I am no expert, and they will have to answer to their own master.

2. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Just be happy you didn't live in the 2nd and 3rd centuries. Back then you weren't really even allowed to "know" about Jesus until you were baptised (Christianity started as a mystery cult just like every other religion at the time).

Also, as you see in this thread, everybody's answer will be different because this is a board and country dominated by Protestants. Protestants are all over the place because it is all about personal interpretation and personal relationships. That is why, intellectually, I can never get down with it (there are infinite answers and thus, ultimately, none). But whether Protestant or Catholic, you must accept Jesus Christ as your lord and savior in order to be a Christian and in order to "move on". Just depends on who you ask as to whether pygmies go to hell.

Reminds me of a conversation I had with one of my roomates in college. We were driving to class and she was studying Greek mythology. She was newly pentacostal and wondered how they coud believe all that and wondered if they were all in hell since they didn't believe in Jesus. I said, "well, they lived before Jesus ever came up." And she just said "oh yeah" and moved on. People are odd.

3. Rule0001

Rule0001 Contributing Member

not sure about anyone else

but I'm normal (catholic of course), not a protestant

4. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

That is one way of looking at it but I would say that while there might be infinite answers there is one that resonates with you. That's faith.

This applies to all religions and not just Christianity.

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Would you mind if I email you?

6. Texas Stoke

Texas Stoke Contributing Member

Back to the pacific island the grass-skirt-wearing, drum-beating, ritual- dancing neanderthals came from.

7. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Of course not... :)

8. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I've never been to a church that says those pygmies are condemned! :) I think you're taking the doctrine out to a conclusion that's not supported by the Bible. Again, that's my answer...I know there are other answers.

I'm between churches right now, giddyup. Been very difficult for me, as I recently left my church. I'm looking for a new church-home now. I found myself asking some questions of God that I had never asked before. But I find him to be unfailing. I understand your concern...and I understand doubting. You should never be ashamed about that. If it's truth, it will stand. So question away. Ask questions of everyone...but especially of God.

The thing I'm having a hard time explaining...and I hope I'm writing it so you can understand...is that my faith in Christ has to do with the here and now. My daily life...things I've seen in others...lives transformed. That's why I don't concern myself too much with questions like these...ones that aren't so easily answerable. Paul says you shouldn't muddle yourself up too much in those questions because they divide and keep us from doing the real work of God..which is loving and serving others. The questions make for fun dinner conversation with friends....but they seem like something other than the thing I call my faith....or my life with God. or however you want to say it.

hope all of that makes sense. at least a little bit, anyway.

9. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

The Catholic Church? :D

:(

10. giddyup

I quit Chapelwood Methodist at age 12 when my parent's gave me the choice. No kidding-- my Dad used to drop my brothers and me off on the way to the golf course. We only visited on high holidays-- if then.

I came back to the church at about age 37 after my divorce. No, I didn't go to meet women! Embracing the church afer so many years away has been a challenge at times. I've had no rock-bottom experiences-- just the usual struggles and the initial abject loneliness after the breakup of my family. Maybe that was a rock-bottom experience!

Go visit the relatively new church on the North side of I-40 and about Wirt Road. I was there back in August. My brother's family goes there. I can't remember the name of the place. Seems like they refer to it as EC-- Ecummenical Church maybe?

We buried my dad four years ago at Memorial Drive Methodist. As I recall you used to go to one of those big Memorial Drive churches-- maybe around Dairy-Ashford somewhere? My mom still lives across from Barker's Landing.

11. MadMax

you're right on the location...wrong on the size. relatively small church on the west side of town.

12. MadMax

it's not for me. sorry.

13. twhy77

I anticipated that answer that's why I gave the :( .

On a sidenote what are your major problems with Catholicism? I can't remember and am too lazy to search for when we had this talk in the past.

14. MadMax

i'm thinking that's an email type question! :) shoot me an email if you like.

on the whole...i don't have problems. my closest friends were Catholic growing up. i used to attend Mass with them a bunch. their faiths are genuine...they're Christ-followers. i love that.

15. giddyup

Is it the Papal Eclipse?

16. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Thanks, sorry but I have to wait til after the weekend, I don't have internet at home and I have to get going to meet my kids.

17. twhy77

email sent

18. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Think about Jesus's message, give away all your wealth, help your fellow man, grow long hair and live with nature..........