1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

XFL player Dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Francis3, Jun 2, 2001.

1. Francis3

Francis3 Member

ATLANTA -- Troy Stark, a former Georgia football player who went on to play for an XFL team, died Friday, possibly from complications from a knee injury.

Stark, 28, of Canandaigua, N.Y., was found dead in his Peachtree City home early Friday. Results of an autopsy are pending.

The 6-foot-7, 310-pound offensive lineman injured his knee in February playing for the New York-New Jersey Hitmen in the now-defunct XFL.

Stark, placed on injured reserve at the time, underwent immediate surgery. He later returned to play.

According to Stark's first wife, Sara Beth Stark, doctors told him that he needed additional surgery on his knee, the Atlanta Journal-Constitution reported Saturday. He had a second operation in May.

Stark's ex-wife said doctors believe that physical therapy might have jarred a blood clot loose, and it went to his lungs.

As a senior at the University of Georgia, Stark started in 38 consecutive games as a lineman for the Bulldogs.

After graduating from Georgia in 1996, Stark signed with the Green Bay Packers as a free agent, then was traded to the New York Jets. In 1997, he was waived after training camp.

"It's very stunning. It puts everything in perspective," said a Georgia teammate, David Weeks. "You always hear about the guys who die in their 50s and 60s. This is one that gets everybody's attention because it could've been any one of us on that line."

Stark is survived by his wife, Kelly, and 19-month-old twin sons, Brady and Connor, from his first marriage.

R.I.P

------------------
    "Break off the block like Maurice Green" --- Steve Francis

President of the Moochie Norris fan club.

2. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

R.I.P. That is just sad news.

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

3. Steve_Francis_rules

How sad.

------------------

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

------------------
    The season's over, but the 'Stros have started. Guess I'm still gonna be nursing that keg...