1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Titans Fans...

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by PhiSlammaJamma, May 22, 2001.

1. PhiSlammaJamma

We find out on Thursday where the hell were gonna be. The early word in Washington is that the

Eagles, Giants, Skins and Cowboys are together.

Ravens, Stelers, Browns, and Bengals together.

No other word yet.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

2. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

It's already official:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/news/2001/0522/1202816.html

------------------
    I always thought "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm discovered". Now I think "With my talent, it's only a matter of time before I'm found out".

3. PhiSlammaJamma

dudes. Indianapolis is going to be hell for years to come. Luckily blitzing Peyton seems to throw him off rythm. Jacksonville is still solid. looks like we've got a battle on our hands. Nothing wrong with that.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

4. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The NFL owners gave the most importance to keeping rivalries intact (for example, Dallas is in the NFC East). How come Houston couldn't keep its old AFC rivalries? Geographically, Houston doesn't fit in the AFC North but neither does Dallas in the NFC East.

This selected plan isn't so bad. I'd rather have Baltimore in the AFC South than Indy. Geographically, Indy fits in with Cincy, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

I'm so happy the Titans are in our division. We already have our first rivalry.

------------------

5. Dream34

Dream34 Contributing Member

Smokey,
    I think the Texans should expect to have some tough years ahead of them. I think the rest of the NFL owners could care less if the Texans are competitive early on. I would not expect a repeat of the Jacksonville or Carolina situation. The owners realize they gave away to much to those two teams when they first started out.

I expect the Texans to take at least 5 years before they are competitive. They are coming into arguably the best division in the NFL. The Titans, Colts, and Jaguars will be licking there chomps when they see the Texans on the schedule.

This is by no means a diss on the Texans. I wish them all the best but just my honest assessment on there situation.

I also like the new division. I agree with you that the Texans and Titans should be a natural rivalry. Jacksonville and Tennessee already hate each other. The Colts are an interesting selection. But I think the Titans defense has the tools to beat that pass happy team. Plus I am happy to be playing the Colts over the Ravens.
    All in all I think the NFL did a great job with the realignment.

Go Titans!!!! Bring on the NFL Season.

------------------
    Titan's fanatic!!!!

Counting down the days till January 27, 2002 (Superbowl 36 in New Orleans).

[This message has been edited by Dream34 (edited May 23, 2001).]

6. Hydra

Hydra Member

Does the new alignment take effect for the upcoming season, or not until 2002?

------------------
    You can't stick a porcupine in a barn, light it on fire, and expect to get licorice.

7. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

8. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I feel bad for the Browns. Because of the success of the Panthers and Jaguars, the Browns got screwed.

The league realized its mistake. There is no way Houston will be a Carolina or Jacksonville, but I don't think it will be like Cleveland either. McNair and Casserly are fighting for a fair shake...like Casserly said, McNair paid something like $700 million - he shouldn't put a 2-14 or 3-13 product out on the field. The owners may not care if the Texans win or lose, but the fans want to see competitive games. Houston will get smacked around in the division - the Colts, Jags, and Titans are contenders.

It's really gonna be weird for me to watch the Texans/Titans. The Oilers were the first sports team I ever followed. I hate Bob Lanier. I don't hate Bud Adams. 2002 could not come any sooner.

[This message has been edited by Smokey (edited May 23, 2001).]

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I think it's hilarious that everyone is so willing to say this division will be so great in the first 5 years of its existence. The Jags were a Super Bowl contender for a few years but quickly fell off that pace. That franchise is on the way down right now. With free agency and the salary cap rules we are not seeing dynasty teams anymore. Instead, teams that finished 8-8 the year before are all of a sudden Super Bowl champs. And teams like the Saints rise from the ashes to win a division. I'm not convinced the Titans and Colts will be among the best teams in the NFL in two years. We all know the Colts and Titans/Oilers have enjoyed some extended down periods in their respective histories. So those teams won't always be good.

Most of all I think it's funny that analysts are talking about how tough each division is...in 5 years everything changes! More important is how these rivalries will develop over the course of decades.

As for the Texans...they'll be just fine. They will not have the problems attracting free agents that Cleveland does...they will have had tons of time to prepare (something Cleveland definitely didn't have). I'm not saying they're going to the Conference Finals anytime soon, but jeez, when I was an Oilers' fan my team NEVER went to the conference finals!!! EVER!!! Today, teams go from worst to first much quicker than they did in previous eras. Parity is the name of the game in the NFL.

------------------

10. Hydra

Hydra Member

I love the way the NFL is organized. It seems like generally teams are more important than players, and you don't have as many perennial losers as you do in Basketball, Baseball, and Hockey.

------------------
    Liberals favor using artificial means to alter the normal to a state which facilitates and justifies how irresponsible they want to be