1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

'This is our Tsunami'...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by tigermission1, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

By all means please. I wouldn't have posted that info if I didn't hope that it would help out.

2. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I'm not saying this isn't a tragedy or anything, because what just happened was terrible, but this isn't even close to the Tsunamis in SW Asia, not even close. That was one of the most catsrophic things to ever happen in the history of the world. 170,000 people died w/ 130,000 missing.

It's absolutely unbelievable what's been going on.

3. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

We know it's not close but it's our version of what happened there but it's only on a smaller scale. When London was bombed earlier this year and Spain was bombed a year ago they called these events their 9/11s even though thousands of lives were not lost.

I believe this is our Tsunami, with hurricane aftermaths you usually don't see this amount of attention, aid pouring in, and the international community is starting to offer assistance as well.

4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I wonder if any of the big oil companies will be donating. Somehow I doubt it...

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

They're just donating to the problem, not the solution.

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What has happened down here is the wind have changed
    Clouds roll in from the north and it started to rain
    Rained real hard and rained for a real long time
    Six feet of water in the streets of Evangeline

The river rose all day
    The river rose all night
    Some people got lost in the flood
    Some people got away alright
    The river have busted through cleard down to Plaquemines
    Six feet of water in the streets of Evangelne

Louisiana, Louisiana
    They're tyrin' to wash us away
    They're tryin' to wash us away
    Louisiana, Louisiana

President Coolidge came down in a railroad train
    With a little fat man with a note-pad in his hand
    The President say, ";Little fat man isn't it a shame what the river has
    done
    To this poor crackers land.";

Louisiana, Louisiana
    They're tyrin' to wash us away
    Louisiana, Louisiana

- Randy Newman

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't believe this is occurring in the U.S. Why aren't they at least dropping pallets of water and food around the Super Dome?

Convention Center Update

CNN:

It's hard to describe. It's something I never could conceive of ever seein gin a major city like New Orleans. It is hard to believe. This is New Orleans Louisiana we ware talking about. We spent the last few hours at the convention center where There are thousands of people just laying in the street. They have nowhere to go. These are mothers. We saw mothers. We talked to mothers holding babies. Some of these babies are 3, 4, 5, months old living in these horrible conditions. Putrid food on the ground. Sewage, their feet sitting in sewage. We saw feces on the ground. These people are being forced to live like animals. When you look at some of these mothers your heart just breaks. We're not talking about a few families or a few hundred families. Thousands of people are gathered around the convention.

I want to warn you. Some of these images that you will see they're very very graphic. But people need see this. The people that are down there have been down there for days. People need to see what it is really like here. We saw dead bodies. People are dying at the convention center and there's no one there to come get them. We saw an older woman, someone's mother someone's grandmother, in a wheelchair. Her dead body pushed up against the side of the convention center with a blanket over it. Right on the ground next to her another dead body wrapped in a white sheet.

People are literally dying. Right in front of us as we were watching this a man went into a seizure on the ground. It looked like he was dying. People tried to prop his head up. No one has medical training. No ambulance can come. It is just heartbreaking that people are just sitting there without food or water waiting for the buses to come tak ehtem away. People keep asking us - when are the buses coming. And I just have to say, I don't know.

http://atrios.blogspot.com/