1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

A question for the Christians out there

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cmiller, Aug 27, 2005.

Tags:
  1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

Compared to your strategy of being obnoxious and belligerent?

2. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

If you feel offended by my using the word "lame" in this thread then I apologize. Otherwise, I see nothing uncivil on my part.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I haven't read ChristianAnswers.net but if you're a critic and the claim is poor let's get together, let's talk reasonably and I will buy lunch. How far will you have to fly to Houston?

I like eating lunch with Rocket fans.

4. MartianMan

MartianMan Contributing Member

oooo free lunch...

btw rhester, I have read your articles, and it doesn't seem like the schools are passing the American Indian religion as fact. They seem to be teaching the American Indian 'myth'. Basically, giving little credence to the authenticity of their religion. Now, if you want Christianity to be taught as a 'myth' in schools. I'm totally ok with that. :D

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Thank you rhester. I'd love to meet as many cf.net Rockets fans as I can when I am in Houston. Just don't know when I am going to be in town.

BTW, now that you've learned about that site. What do you think it? (Please don't answer now since you haven't spent enough time reading it) I may ask you a question or two from time to time if I have problem with the answers from the site.

6. rhester

The lunch is no 'myth' send me an email if you want have lunch sometime.

7. rhester

Just let me know..

I will check out the site when I can, thanks

8. Sishir Chang

Sishir Chang Contributing Member

Wow this thread really filled up since I checked it this morning.

I've only had a chance to glance at the thread but caught the part of Rhester being called evil.

I have some very fundamental philosophical disagreements with Rhester but I certainly respect him and find debating him a pleasure. While there are issues I will never agree with him on debating him has helped me understand the other sides position better and I think we're all enriched by that.

If that's evil then evil aint as bad as people make it out to be.

Unfortunately I don't think I will be in Houston anytime soon other I would be glad to take your offer up for lunch.

9. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

10. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I agree that some kids are not disciplined, but this was true of any generation of children. You may just notice it more because of your children or some other life experience. I don't believe that children thinking for themselves has anything to do with discipline. Discipline comes from within, not from obeying dictation.

Also, children are not the only ones confused by debates that go on and on. Adults are confused too, but I don't believe that confusion is a bad thing. Confusion leads one to make up their own mind and the more information they obtain by listening to arguments leads to more informed decisions.

For instance, if two presidential candidates are in a debate and you only hear one side for each question, how are you supposed to decide your preference?

Debates, while taxing, have a tremendous value... why else would we work so hard at them?

11. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

#191 KellyDwyer, Aug 31, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 31, 2005
  12. don grahamleone

Sorry, RR, I did not fully address your statements. The 2+2=4 thing is a solid point. I would counter it by saying this:

Teacher pulls out 4 sodas(2 cokes and 2 sprites) and because she is from Texas says, "How many cokes are here?"
    One of the children in front from Sugarland says, "Four"
    The Yankee child from Michigan in the back of the class is confused by this because she has grown up thinking that cokes were coca-colas and sprites were sprites and that grouping them together they would be called 'pops'.
    If this Yankee child does not open discussion or ask a question and just accepts dictation, she will be confused and 'left behind' because she is still unaware of our custom of calling all sodas cokes.

This is why I believe that open discussions and two way streets of teaching are more important than dictation. Yes, it takes longer, but it also establishes a solid understanding for all those being taught. The teacher might also learn something while teaching this child(i.e. that Yankees call them coke: pop). Education is not just for those that are smart and raised in local culture. Education helps everyone in a society and in the world and even more so when done with great care.

13. don grahamleone

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

i understand
    but
    not everything can be debatable
    we need to stand on a . . foundation of
    agreed upon information

You can never argue math . . .if you cannot agree on a numbering system
    Cooperation and unified thought are some of the reason
    that humanity is about the animals
    Social contract of agreed upon foundations

Intelligent design . .. it does not really say ANYTHING *against*
    the scientific explanations of creation . . . however
    scientist and athist INSIST that it not be taught . . why?

I don't beleive Religion per se is the tentpole
    but
    we need some. ..

Rocket RIver

15. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

wnes,

You are on the wrong track. The ancient Greeks discovered the roundness of the world and t was pretty much accepted as fact from that time on. Some of the earliest images depicting Christ (as Christ and not as a symbol) from 400-500 or so often show him holding a globe in his hand to represent his dominion over Earth. It is round, it is a sphere, it is a round sphere.

16. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Wouldn't ChristianAnswers.net wish it could have you? :)

17. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Somehow I doubt that.

18. don grahamleone

Did you read my post about the sodas and math? I don't believe that a foundation of one set of beliefs is important in the world because every single person is different. It used to be widely accepted that the World was flat, then someone proved that wrong, now Friedman(author) is trying to prove that the world is flat again.

Because we are all different, we have different perspectives. So, math can be argued and it is. 2+2 does not always equal 4. (again, I've given an example in a previous post)

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I did see the post
    and see there is the point
    no foundation of communication

If we don't agree that what one means by Cokes
    then the whole system has fallen apart.

The idea of communications is to settle on those
    points and work from there

Rocket River

20. don grahamleone

My point is that two way communication is important any time you teach and that relying on dictation to get the lessons done quicker does not always translate to learning. Sometimes it translates to students being dumber. Extreme examples of dictation teaching lead to brain washing. I'm sure you've had an argument with someone that is incapable of thinking outside their own experience or what they've been told, it's not as much fun.

The United States is full of very creative thinkers because of this method of two way teaching done in many classrooms here and as a whole we are a very educated country.

Teaching from a controlled environment, is this what you are saying we need? If you are saying that, I agree, but only for short periods of time. If you were saying in your initial post that our young people in America act out of line because they aren't disciplined enough, I disagree whole-heartedly. I don't believe our students are being engaged while teaching is going on.