1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dallas Cowboys sign XFL rushing leader

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by moestavern19, May 1, 2001.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I think its a pretty good fit . Now all they need is Tommy Maddox.
    ---------------------------------------------

IRVING, Texas – Running back John Avery, the runner-up for XFL Player of the Year honors, signed a one-year, $389,000 contract with the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm just excited about getting the chance to come in and play," said Avery, who ran for 800 yards with the Chicago Enforcers this spring. "I'd rather be here playing behind Emmitt Smith, than somewhere else and fighting for position. Here, I get to learn from the best."

Avery was the 29th pick in the 1998 draft out of Mississippi by Miami. He rushed for 503 yards as a rookie for the Dolphins, then was traded to Denver, where he played just six games in 1999 and was cut after training camp last season.

He helped the Chicago Enforcers earn a playoff berth after an 0-4 start. He finished second in player of the year voting behind Los Angeles Xtreme quarterback Tommy Maddox.

"It's a tremendous opportunity to get a look at a guy that we really felt was a first-round talent," Cowboys coach Dave Campo said. "We have him here to take a good look at him."

After a year out of the NFL, Avery had a successful stint in NFL Europe before this past season in the XFL.

------------------
    Vice President of Executive Operations of the Sean Colson Fan Club

http://bbs.clutchcity.net

2. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

As A Dallas Cowboy Looser Fan , I'm STOKED!!!
    this should be exciting! I don't thnk the boyz will do as bad as everyone thinks they will. I know they won't win the superbowl but if everyone stays healthy, they got a decent season ahead of them. Yeee-HAW!

------------------
    "Me entiendes Mendes? O te explico Federico?"

3. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

He is a versatile player that can line in the slot. Very fast. Maybe he can be a homeless guy's Marshall Faulk.

How did JJ use him ? Did he use him as a straight ahead runner ?

------------------
    "norm, would you like to buy an indian scalp ? This deal isn't gonna make or break me Norm, so don't jerk me around." Harry Carey "Norm, if I had a mohawk scalp, I wouldn't be sitting here talking to you."

4. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Didn't the Saints sign a place kicker from the XFL?

------------------
    Who's ya daddy?

5. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

When your team is excited about picking up players from the XFL, you are in trouble.

------------------
    Founder and President of the Houston Homers Club(HHC) - Are you a homer? Join now!

The Rockets will be NBA champions. Believe.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Saints signed Kris Stockton from Texas.

He's not the XFL guy, but thought I'd mention it.

------------------

7. mr_oily

mr_oily Member

LOL!!!!!!!!! [​IMG]
    yeah, but I got no choice, its just like that!

------------------
    "Me entiendes Mendes? O te explico Federico?"

8. haven

haven Member

Avery's probably better than anybody they drafted [​IMG].

------------------
    I would believe only in a God who could dance. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boston College - NCAA Hockey National Champions 2001

9. dc sports

dc sports Member

The NFL is beginning to discover the advantages of having some minor football leagues. They have admitted (quietly) that they like the XFL, because it does give them another place to find players.

The problem with the NFL is that you really can't develop a player, or find out what they are capable of, by playing them second or third string. These players only get to play when someone is hurt (where they get measured against the starter), when the team is doing very well, or the team is doing very badly. (And Dallas hasn't had many runaway games -- where they were ahead.)

The XFL gives the NFL to see what some of these players -- even former NFL rejects -- can do when given a team and playing as a starter. The XFL is providing a lot of players with potential to fit into NFL teams. Some, like Tommy Maddox or John Avery, have the potential to be stars.

Look at some of the great players that have come out of the AFL -- and the XFL is even closer to "real" football.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Dang I was hoping they signed He Hate Me! [​IMG]

11. dc sports

dc sports Member

I'll just add that it would be interesting to see something like an XBA (Xtreme Basketball Association) -- or at least a real minor league of some sort for professional basketball.

Who knows how many good recruits have been dropped because of the 12-13 man roster limit, then never have a chance to develop because they stop playing. Every year, teams gamble their future on drafting an unproven player. With a development league, we might find some gems in the rough.

------------------
    Stay Cool...

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

As I understand it, the NBA is currently working on implementing a NBA minor league in a couple to 3 years. It will be used, mainly, to help develop underclassmen (particularly high schoolers) who came out early, but aren't polished enough to get any time on their NBA team. But it can also be a league to keep aging veterans sharp so that they can be called up to the team at a moments notice if a player gets hurt. An added benefit is that it will be used to train new NBA referees (hopefully this will improve the overall quality of refereeing).

I personally like the idea, I think it will raise the general skill level in the NBA considerably, and make it more fun to watch. Plus, the minor league teams will likely be cheaper to attend, so those who can't afford to go to Rockets games might be able to go see some minor league teams that have some very promising young players who could very likely be stars in the near future.
    ------------------
    Give me ambiguity or give me something else.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum12/HTML/000328.html

[This message has been edited by RunninRaven (edited May 02, 2001).]

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Avery was a great fit in Jimmy Johnson's offense in 1998 , He did a lot of running , I think he had 100 yards in a Monday Night game

------------------
    Vice President of Executive Operations of the Sean Colson Fan Club

http://bbs.clutchcity.net

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Skip Coaching
    This is what Isiah should have done with the
    CBA

Rocket River

------------------

15. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

4chuckie, if anyone signs that guy, he'll have to change his name to "He Cut Me" after one week of pre-season camp. [​IMG]