1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

No Astacio deal, BAcke may miss a start

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by The Cat, Jul 26, 2005.

1. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

im just sayin....it was originally a sd-balt deal that went bad...maybe they brought us in to help....and supposedly this guy Hayden Penn is an excellent prospect

2. Toast

Toast Member

Or they don't want to risk him getting rocked and losing trade value ...

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I like Astacio a LOT, he has explosive stuff...someone call Jim Hickey and tell him to teach Astacio another pitch...

Dang slacker !

DD

4. Buck Turgidson

C'mon. Baseball peeps aren't short-sighted like that. And when's the last time Zeke got rocked in AAA?

I'm confused about this whole thing, time for a beer to soothe my jangled nerves.

5. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

One Around the Horn they said one more beyond this current one-- at $10 Million per.

6. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

790am said it was because Brandon Backe may not make his next start and Astacio will take his place.

7. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Doh!

I still hope something happens before the dealine.

8. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Yea, Brandon Backe has a pulled ribcage muscle and is questionable for his start Thursday. So no trade coming soon.

9. PhiSlammaJamma

Has anyone actually seen Berkman dive and catch a screamer? Seriously. He picks himself up, a cloud of dust settling all around, and look on his face is always, darn, I just missed that one.

10. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

http://houston.astros.mlb.com/NASAp...t_id=1145607&vkey=news_hou&fext=.jsp&c_id=hou

HOUSTON -- Astros right-hander Brandon Backe may be scratched from his scheduled start Thursday against Pedro Martinez and New York Mets after pulling a muscle in his left side.

Backe felt a pain during his bullpen session Monday and although the soreness was less Tuesday, his status is day-to-day.

"It's something that's really caught me by surprise and I can't believe this is happening," Backe said. "Today I felt a little bit better. I tried to throw with some force and it came back and got me today. I don't know if I'm going to be put on the DL. Hopefully if it gets a little better tomorrow, then I'll possibly start on Thursday. If not, I'll go on the DL."

Should Backe -- 8-6 with a 4.93 ERA -- go on the disabled list, the Astros would likely call right-hander Ezequiel Astacio from Triple-A Round Rock.

"It was basically a freak accident, it has nothing to do with me not warming up or anything," Backe said. "I was 20 pitches into it and all of a sudden it went out. It's kind of hard to tell what it is, kind of connected to the rib, I guess."

Astros general manager Tim Purpura said Backe will be re-evaluated on Wednesday before a decision is made about Thursday's starting assignment.

"We're going to take it day to day and see how it goes," Purpura said. "Obviously we have our own internal options. Astacio has been here on a regular basis, he would be an option for us."