1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Long Island Police Ask Citizens to Spy on Everybody, Report Anything Suspicious

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by wnes, Jul 25, 2005.

1. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

No matter how hard you preach it, people will just ignore it. I brought that up many times, but some people have too much pride in themselves and firmly believe that nothing would happen, even if they are going away from the Constitution, which made them so proud. I just want to reiterate it again, history repeats itself, and people generally don't learn from others' mistakes, just want to experience it in its own hard way. Sometimes, I just think the slogans, mentalities, even explanations (or excuses), and "emergency situations" are so similar, that it's really scary. But people never suffered from that, would not be watchful.

2. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Here's an email I got just this morning:

First they came for the Communists,
    but I was not a Communist, so I didn't speak out.

Then they came for the Social Democrats,
    but I was not a Social Democrat, so I didn't speak out.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
    but I was not a trade unionist, so I didn't speak out.

Then they came for the Jews,
    but I was not a Jew, so I didn't speak out.

Then when they came for me, there was no one left to stand up for me.

-Pastor Niemoeller, protestant minister and victim of the Nazis.

3. real_egal

real_egal Contributing Member

Sad but so true. Sigh.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Lol!

Don't worry, I've already reported wnes to the proper authorities. His posting behavior in the D&D has been suspicious, to say the least.

5. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Oh well my days in D&D are numbered. When you guys don't see me posting any more here, you won't have to speculate what has happened to me. I'll look for some French inmates to seek revenge ... :mad:

6. mulletman

mulletman Member

this bus driver may have taken the advice already. at least the cops werent as trigger happy as their counterparts in london

http://www.nydailynews.com/front/story/331264p-283131c.html

7. JuanValdez

This is probably the part you should have put in bold:

8. krosfyah

I think you missed something. The bomb threat did not come from the bus. The bomb threat was a later incident in Penn Station, according to the article.

9. JuanValdez

You're right; I did miss something.

10. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Hehe, **** really happened. It would be interesting to know what the cops had to say to these South Asian-looking guys in the aftermath:

"Sorry dudes, **** happens. Don't blame us. Blame Osama Bin Laden and Al-Qaeda. This is America. Live with it! But you guys did look suspicious. Now you are free to go. What are you looking at? Go!"

11. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

God forbid someone is delayed for 1/2 an hour. They weren't arrested, they weren't charged, they we ordered off of a bus, temporarily restrained, and searched. In this case, they were doing nothing wrong and they were released. If they had been terrorists, the driver may have saved 60 peoples lives. I am a big supporter of personal freedom, but I rank people's lives ahead of avoiding minor inconveniences. There is a big difference between checking out a suspicious person and hauling them off to a gulag, so I don't agree with the communist references. In fact, posting that article just shows how harmless the policy is.

12. krosfyah

There is a fine line StupidMoniker...a very very fine line.

We want our law enforcement to be efficient about what they do. In recent weeks, law enforcement terrorised (notice the irony) some innocent people including young children that are probably scared for life. In England, they outright murdered somebody. That could just as easily been here. Every screw up like this makes it harder and harder for police...particularly if only speculation, not fact, led to detainment...such in this case.

We want law enforcement to be vigilent but we don't want them to screw up too much. Some mistakes will happen, I'm sure. But ideally, you keep it to a minimum.

The ultimate ideal means we haven't pissed off people to the extent where they feel the need to suicide bomb us. But we are a long way away from that.