1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

AFL-CIO Rocked by Defections - Great News for US Economy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by El_Conquistador, Jul 25, 2005.

1. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

In a crushing blow to organized labor, the largest union has left the AFL-CIO and others are threatening to follow suit. This is great news for the US economy, and offers hope for economic growth and job growth. With weaker unions, innovation, productivity, and profit potential increase dramatically. It also enables employers to hire the best people possible and eliminate the underperformers.

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050724/D8BI21R80.html

Largest Union Decides to Bolt AFL-CIO

Jul 24, 7:14 PM (ET)

By RON FOURNIER

CHICAGO (AP) - The AFL-CIO succumbed to division Sunday, with its largest union deciding to bolt the 50-year-old federation and three others poised to do so in a dispute over how to reverse organized labor's long slide.

The four unions, representing nearly one-third of the AFL-CIO's 13 million members, announced Sunday they would boycott the federation's convention that begins Monday. They are part of the Coalition to Win, a group of seven unions vowing to reform the labor movement - outside the AFL-CIO if necessary.

The Service Employees International Union, with 1.8 million members, plans to announce Monday that it is leaving the AFL-CIO, said several labor officials who spoke on condition of anonymity because they are not authorized to discuss the developments.

The Teamsters union also was on the verge of disaffiliating, and would likely to be the first to follow SEIU's lead, the officials said. Two other boycotting unions were likely to leave the federation: United Food and Commercial Workers and UNITE HERE, a group of textile and hotel workers.

"Our differences are so fundamental and so principled that at this point I don't think there is a chance there will be a change of course," said UFCW President Joe Hansen.

"Our differences have become unresolvable," said Anna Burger, chairman of the Change to Win Coalition which is setting itself up to be a rival of the AFL-CIO. "Today will be remembered as a rebirth of union strength in America."

AFL-CIO President John Sweeney, expected to easily win re-election over the objections of the dissidents, said his team "bent over backward" to appease the dissidents "until it's given us a pain in the you-know-where." SEIU president Andy Stern, leading the breakaway effort, is a former protege of Sweeney's.

"It's a shame for working people that before the first vote has been cast, four unions have decided that if they can't win, they won't show up for the game," Sweeney said.

Gerald McEntee, president of a government employees' union with more than 1 million members, accused his boycotting colleagues of aiding labor's political foes. "The only people who happy about this are President Bush and his crowd," the Sweeney ally said.

Rank-and-file members of the 52 non-boycotting AFL-CIO affiliates expressed confusion and anger over the action. "If there was ever a time we workers need to stick together, it's today," said Olegario Bustamante, a steelworker from Cicero, Ill.

The boycott means the unions will not pay $7 million in back dues to the AFL-CIO on Monday, an act that some labor officials consider tantamount to quitting the federation. If all four boycotting unions quit the federation, they would take about $35 million from the AFL-CIO, which has already been forced to layoff a quarter of its 400-person staff.

Two other unions that are part of the Change to Win Coalition did not plan to leave the Chicago convention: the Laborers International Union of North America and the United Farm Workers. They are the least likely of the coalition members to leave the AFL-CIO, though the Laborers show signs of edging that way, officials said.

The United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners of America, the seventh member of the coalition, left the AFL-CIO in 2002.

Leaders of the dissident unions say the AFL-CIO leadership has failed to stop the steep decline in union membership. In addition to seeking the ouster of Sweeney, they have demanded more money for organizing, power to force mergers of smaller unions and other changes they say are key to adapting to vast changes in society and the economy.

Globalization, automation and the transition from an industrial-based economy have forced hundreds of thousands of unionized workers out of jobs, weakening labor's role in the workplace.

When the AFL-CIO formed 50 years ago, union membership was at its zenith with one of every three private-sector workers belonging to a labor group. Now, less than 8 percent of private-sector workers are unionized.

The dissidents largely represent workers in retail and service sectors, the heart of the emerging new U.S. economy. Sweeney's allies are primarily industrial unions whose workers are facing the brunt of global economic shifts.

A divided labor movement worries Democratic leaders who rely on the AFL-CIO's money and manpower on Election Day.

"Anything that sidetracks us from our goals ... is not healthy," said Rep. Rahm Emanuel, D-Ill., chairman of the House campaign committee.

In the 2004 campaign, unions ran nearly 260 phone banks and mailed out at least 30 million pieces of political literature in 16 states, mostly on behalf of Democrats.

Experts said the split might deepen labor's woes.

"Employer opposition to organizing might increase and I think that political opponents might feel emboldened, because they would see it as a sign of weakness," said Gary Chaison, industrial relations professor at Clark University in Worcester, Mass.

Others said competition might be good for the labor movement.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Great news for the Dems this will reinvigorate the 'labor movement' for the 21st century ~ giant unions are a thing of the past.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i don't see how it's great for the Democratic Party... :confused:

4. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Nevermind.

#4 dc rock, Jul 25, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2005
  5. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

This move is both good for the Democratic Party , good for the "economy" and good for the country. It is definitely good for the vast majority of Americans.

These vigourous, assertive unions are pulling out largely due to the fact that they feel the rest of the AFL CIO is too complacent,spend too much money on union oficiials, give too much money to Democrats who really don't support unions and the average woriking persons. They are going to get militant This move will force the other unions to devote more effort to organzincg workers. Contrary to what was said, they are advocating that unions get fewer and bigger to take on such entities as the Chinese import company known as Walmart.

TJ is spouting the typical line of the elitists who run the corporations he serves. Max only likes Demcrats who are indistinguishable from say older, somewhat more sane Republicans.

Except for Singapore, which seems to be the model for the conservatives, with their drastic lack of civil liberties, there is not one country in the modern world, which has suceeded in having a decent life for ithe majority of its citiizens without a strong labor movement. When our own labor movement was stronger, it was instrumental in bringing the majoriity such benefits as social security,the weekend, the 40 hour week, pensions, health insurance, minimum and of course for unionized workers much higher wages. All of these benefits are under attack by the traditonal elite GOPers like the mulitigeneratinal millionaires, the Bushes, unfortunately with their coaliton working class partners, the racists and the conservative church goers.

6. Major

Major Member

The GOP wants to get rid of the weekend?!? :mad: :eek:

7. glynch

Essenetially yes. Yes, they want to support the corporate agenda. They want there to be no over time laws, blue laws, limits on split shifts etc. Saturday and Sunday will still exist of course, if that is your great point. They will just be ordinary work days for most folks.

Hopefully you have somethiing to add to the thread, other than nit picking.

Texans are in general so ignorant of unions and labor history.

8. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

Damn, glynch, he was making a joke.

9. glynch

:p
    If so, I apologize. ;)

Sorry, I have a new pet peeve. People who seize on one word or phrase in an attemtp to deligitmize a whole thread or point. It is done frequently on the bbs. It is also done frequently by the Bush White House. We saw Bush do it in the debates.

10. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

This is great for the economy if they truly get organized and agree to be realistic in benefits and pay when negotiating...Not sure how good this is for the Dems, but I don't like them anyway... ;)

11. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Good point. Unions should fight for rights and not entitlements.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think much of this is driven by personalities. "Swiney," and Hoffa on the other side (another Hoffa, sigh...), are too busy fighting each other for control to be effective in their jobs. I hope your optimistic view turns out to be true, glynch, but what we have now is an organized labor movement in disarray and, much as I hate to agree with Trader_J even a little, that is bad, at least short term, for the Democratic Party, leading up to the crucial mid-term elections.

Max like's moderates of any party, as best I can tell. I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Hell, I wish moderate conservative Republicans would take back their party from the extremists. Then we might see a real political dialogue in this country. It wouldn't hurt for the Democratic Party to come up with some decent candidates, either. Kerry? Puhleeze! Hillary?? A possibility if she lets Bill do most of the campaigning. Bill is getting healthy, and is a monster on the campaign trail. Who else is out there? Biden? I like him, but he doesn't appear to have to organization to pull off a successful run. Anyone else??

Back to the topic... labor in disarray, again, is bad for Democrats short term, imo. Gotta go to lunch. Later.

Keep D&D Civil!!

#12 Deckard, Jul 26, 2005
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2005
  13. MadMax

you haven't gotten the memo regarding the MadMax/RM95 love affair? you're not on bigtexx's email list???

actually, i don't like either party entirely...and i don't dislike either party entirely. there are parts of each platform i agree with and disagree with. that's why it's typically harder for me to decide on who to vote for than it seems to be for most people.

14. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yeah, but you haven't lived until you've seen it in action....at BW3 during an Astros game!

:eek: ;) :D

15. MadMax

it's frightening! :)