1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NL Cy Young Race

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dharocks, Jul 20, 2005.

?

Who will win the NL Cy Young?

1. Chris Carpenter

40 vote(s)
    22.9%
  2. Roger Clemens

91 vote(s)
    52.0%
  3. Chad Corderdo

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Pedro Martinez

6 vote(s)
    3.4%
  5. Roy Oswalt

30 vote(s)
    17.1%
  6. John Smoltz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. Dontrelle Willis

8 vote(s)
    4.6%
  8. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Carpenter gets the Cy at the All-Star break. We'll have to see how the 2nd half plays out, but it is his to lose.

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Just saw this gem in today's game write-up on CNNSI.com:

Clemens' ERA in nine road starts is 0.31.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

On ESPN today i believe they said in Carpenter's last 6 starts, his ERA is a whopping .36 or something to that #. :eek:

4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I won't answer this poll right now, but I will leave some feedback.

As posted above, Carpenter is kicking ass and taking names, but I am loathe to give the Cy Young to a Card.

If Roger keeps his ERA down and gets 14+ wins, I can see it. The man is a machine.

I also agree that Oswalt is the Dark Horse contender here, along with Smoltz, who gets the 'feel-good' vote.

Maybe we can get a new poll in a month or so.

5. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

he also did it the year he beat freddy garcia. garcia had 4 CG and 3 SHO and clemens was rarely going past 7 innings. the yankees just scored an obscene amount of runs for him, their bullpen was great and held leads, and when he left trailing the bats picked him up and allowed him to avoid the loss and thus start the season 20-1. he finished 20-3 but had the 9th best ERA in the AL, but somehow got the cy away from garcia who finished 18-6 and led the league in ERA. 9th in ERA versus 1st but somehow yankee, clemens, and win/loss pandering by the writers got the job done.

then he beat out randy based on W/L over ERA last year even though randy had the better year and could've tied clemens for most cy young's ever. so i'm sure this year the rules will change and clemens will get it for his ERA even if he doesn't win enough.

personally, i would give it to clemens b/c i would pretty much always give it to the guy with the best ERA, provided he stays healthy and pitches in enough games, but past votes say carpenter is the leader at this point with his spectacular ERA and W/L numbers.