1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(NY Daily News) Stros pursued Soriano

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by xiki, Jul 25, 2005.

1. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/baseball/mets/story/331155p-283052c.html

'Sori' situation heats up

GM Omar Minaya expects to be a buyer before Sunday's trade deadline, and the Mets' interest in former Yankees All-Star second baseman Alfonso Soriano is "hotter than people think," said a source close to the situation.
    The Mets and Rangers spoke earlier this season, but Texas requested Double-A outfield prospect Lastings Milledge at the time, scuttling any potential deal. Texas' current asking price, according to another source, is "a lot more than that."

Mets sources wouldn't characterize their interest level yesterday, but it is no secret the slugging Rangers would like to upgrade their rotation. And the Mets could have a surplus with injured starter Steve Trachsel slated to be activated shortly after the deadline. There also have been rumblings in recent days that the Mets are considering obtaining Dodgers lefty Odalis Perez, whom they briefly pursued as a free agent last winter.

More recently, the Astros and Twins have been in dialogue about Soriano, though contact with Houston faded, according to one AL source. And the Twins recently obtained Bret Boone.

The Mets also attempted to obtain Soriano, who has 24 homers and 66 RBI, early in the 2004 season.

2. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Soriano would be just what this lineup needs to get us over the top. Too bad I don't think Biggio would be willing to go the outfield again.

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

would be far better if soriano would be willing to go the OF, in my opinion. i'd rather have biggio at 2B than soriano at this point...and i'd rather have soriano in the OF than biggio at this point.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Soriano has said time and time again that he does not want to play in the outfield. That kind of creates some problems. I would imagine that the article is relating to what we already knew back in Spring Training when the Rangers wanted Backe & Burke.

5. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Soriano could not hold Biggio's jock defensively.

Soriano does provide offense but his play in the field crap.

We need a power hitting OF.

Griffey or Dunn

Get er done!!!!!

6. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Wow, I actually agree with Max on a baseball post. :) Soriano is a bad 2B defensively. Biggio's not incredible (anymore) at second but I've enjoyed him back there this season way more than watching his misadventures in the OF last year. I don't know how bad Soriano would be in the OF, but my guess is better than Biggio, and much better than Soriano plays at 2nd.

7. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

I'd love to have Soriano in the lineup....but seeing as how he is a FA after next season (i believe), unless we plan on ponying up to get him, I wouldnt mortgage the future over him.

8. SuperS32

SuperS32 Member

I remember seeing something before the season where they offered us Soriano for Backe and Burke and we rejected it because of his contract.

If we're willing to pay for him, I'm all for it. But looking back, wouldn't keeping Kent and signing Burnitz have been SO MUCH BETTER? :mad: :mad:

9. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

That, or keep Kent and sign Jose Cruz Jr. I know he's stinking it up in Arizona but I think being here in his home and with his dad he could have blossomed. I think he'd be batting 30 points higher and have around 18 homers about now. Plus he would have been real cheap.

10. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Not to mention that Scott Boras is his agent. I hope we can deal for someone thats under contract for next season because Soriano might do us like punk ass Beltran did us last season.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

I think we have enough to win now. All we need is a dominant middle reliever to bridge the gap. We are the Astros of old. Look at the scores. We don't even have to score. There is only one player who does not fear facing us in the playoffs, Pujols.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

and that guy should be intentionally walked a helluva lot more by everyone, anyway! :)

13. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It wasn't the contract at all for a change. It was the fact we had to give up Backe. We knew we couldn't fill the 4 and 5 holes in the pitching staff. Not to mention Backe looked like he was gonna be a helluve #4 starter.

And yes, looking back you're right. There's not 1 good reason we shouldn't of resigned Kent. Especially when he was even gonna take a cut on his option year salary. How many people would do that?