1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Furcal???

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stevierebel, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Stevierebel

Stevierebel Contributing Member

I really hated this guy last season during the playoffs but would this be a good move? I don't know the validity of this but it could be something other than Dunn to dwell on.

http://pittsburghlive.com/x/tribune-review/sports/s_355235.html

2. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Everett for Furcal straight up? I would do that in a heartbeat.

3. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

But why would they?

4. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Me too but Furcal will be a free agent this year.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

What gives you the impression that they would take Everett straight up for him? I think they'd probably want some prospect too.

I'm beginning to think no trade will happen at all...not even a big one. I think the 'Stros front office wants to see how far these guys will go, then add pieces in the offseason to make a big run next year...that way we don't have to overpay to get a temporary bat right now, or trade the farm for Adam Dunn. This way we have more options in the offseason, with both free agency and trading. Convince Roger to play one more year by making a move or two, and we've got the same pitching staff back.

6. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

Adam Everett is from the Georgia Area and Furcall is a free agent. The Braves have said before that it will be hard to resign him and they have Tony Pena Jr. in the minors who is a good shortstop.

7. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

But why would Roger come back next year in the event they don't get him a bat this year? If I had a 1.4 ERA and was pitching in what I had planned to be my last season, I sure would be peeved if management opted not to bring in a bat regardless of the offseason's moves. Maybe I'm just immature.

8. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Houston is a great city for drinking and driving. Furcal would love it here.

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Screw Furcal. I hate that guy, he should have been locked up.

10. Major

Major Member

$18,000,000? :)

11. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

Why would ya'll do this deal? I think Everett is a better player. Other than his stolen bases, Furcal is mediocre to say the least.

12. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Better at what?

Furcal's the better defender (slightly) by most accounts. Better fielding percentage, outstanding arm and terrific range. He has a higher OBP and OPS. He had a .758 and .795 OPS the last two seasons, numbers that Everett probably won't ever come close to. He steals many more bases.

That said, I don't think Furcal will come here. The Braves are a team likely looking for major league help and we don't have a lot of that. He's also a free agent after the season (I believe) and Purpura has said many times that it's doubtful we go after a guy not signed for multiple seasons. But if those factors weren't the case, there's no question Furcal is an upgrade to Everett.

13. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

This is stupid. Everett's been more than serviceable. The real hole is having a light hitting bum like Chris Burke playing LF everyday.

14. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

Only thing Everett has better than Furcal is a glove. Furcal is younger, faster, steals more bases, stronger arm, more power, drives in more runs, and a better batting average. If you can get Furcal for Everett and a farm arm then you have to do it.

15. l3igballer23

l3igballer23 Contributing Member

He's also two years younger and a pretty consistent switch hitter.

16. kevwun

kevwun Member

Burke's coming around. He's taken a while to adjust almost every time he's been moved up.