1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

DeLay Likens GOP Contract With America to Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by mc mark, Apr 13, 2005.

1. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Is this guy serious?

:eek:

By JUAN-CARLOS RODRIGUEZ, Associated Press Writer

WASHINGTON - To House Majority Leader Tom DeLay, the Republican Party's "Contract With America" ranks right up there with the Magna Carta, Declaration of Independence and Bill of Rights among the "great documents of freedom."

So says DeLay's Internet Web site. It describes that 1994 campaign treatise, credited with helping the GOP end four decades of House rule by Democrats, "a written commitment that presented to the people an agenda for the House of Representatives."

"In exercising their freedom to govern themselves, the people could read The Contract with America and embrace the agenda in the document," according to DeLay's site which includes a tutorial on the Constitution. "The resulting vote re-established the people's control of Congress ...., " it says.

The document was the foundation for the newly elected Republican House's agenda in 1995, which included legislation to limit welfare, require a balanced budget and limit to six years how long people could hold office in the House. Some, such as welfare restrictions and a child tax credit, made it into law.

Others — like the term limits — were later abandoned by the same politicians who had adopted them as a platform or were ruled unconstitutional by the Supreme Court. One contract item turned aside by the high court was the proposal to give presidents line-item veto authority.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...p/20050413/ap_on_go_co/delay_contract_website

2. AggieRocket

AggieRocket Contributing Member

Almost as funny as Bush comparing the fall of Saddam's statue in Baghdad with the fall of that pesky wall in Berlin :)

I long for the GOP of Nixon and Reagan :) What has this party and its leadership become?

3. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Completely beholden to their special interests, ala the Democrats of the late 1970s.

I dunno about you guys, but I want some of what Tom DeLay and Dubya are smoking. It's got to be some killer weed for them to hallucinate like this.

4. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

don't know if this has been posted but i just got the following e-mail:

Can you imagine working for a company that has a little more than 500
    employees and has the following
    statistics:

29 have been accused of spousal abuse
    7 have been arrested for fraud
    19 have been accused of writing bad checks
    117 have directly or indirectly bankrupted at least 2 businesses
    3 have done time for assault
    71 cannot get a credit card due to bad credit
    14 have been arrested on drug-related charges
    8 have been arrested for shoplifting
    21 are currently defendants in lawsuits
    84 have been arrested for drunk driving in the last year Can you guess which
    organization this is?
    Give up yet?

It's the 535 members of the United States Congress.
    The same group of Idiots that crank out hundreds of new laws each year
    designed to keep the rest of us in line.

5. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

My thoughts exactly. When I first got the right to vote, I almost always voted Republican. That started to stop around 1992 and now I almost always go with the Democratic candidate.

The Republican party no longer cares about anything other then their own narrow views. The party leadership no longer even bothers to try and comprise. It is all my way or the highway, your with us or against us. This really doesn't surprise since they rule like they have a mandate from God. Christianity is built on exclusion and the Christian right wing, radical Christianity has hijacked the Republican party. Believe what I believe or be cast into the bowels of hell.

6. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

I know politicans are crooks. But are these numbers for real?:eek: :eek: :eek:

7. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Magna Carta might not be so bad, given how the king who signed it, John Lackland was a rat b*stard and a crook, and he kept trying to change the terms after he was no longer being forced to comply with it at the point of a knife.

Also, the original Magna Carta contains a number of rules which are designed to screw minorities (The original Magna Carta, had rules which specifically abrogated debts upon death, if those debts were owed to Jews).

The son of Richard the Lionhearted, John I (known as John "Lackland" because he lost all of the crown's holdings in Normandy to the French crown, and thus "lacked land") was such a pathetic example of a king that there has never been and never will be a John II.

Here's a link to the Wikipedia biography of King John I

#7 Ottomaton, Apr 13, 2005
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2005
  8. thegary

pirc, can't confirm the veracity of the stats. someone just sent me the e-mail as i posted it. if true, i guess the jokes on us.

9. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Nice! I know I feel better about my government.

10. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

So maybe Delay wasn't so far off after all!

;)

11. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I can't find anything at snopes.com to debunk it...

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

yet.

13. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/outrage/congress.htm

Unsubstantiated. Exagerated with kernels of truth, I guess.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

That email is a total fraud and has been around for years.

15. thegary

16. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Yes it is. I first saw it around 1998.

17. GladiatoRowdy

I have seen it a number of times, but even snopes says that it is not outright fraud, but is at least exaggerated.

18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

There are portions of it that might happen to be true at any given time by sheer luck and probability - but it seems to me more likely the actual numbers are fabricated rather than the product of any research.

19. GladiatoRowdy

Agreed. It would be an interesting experiment to do said research and find those things out...

Not for me, for someone with time on their hands and a knack for criminal history searches.

20. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

thadeus likens DeLay to a squished douchebag refilled with yellow mucus and sweetened with the cocaine crumbs from a one-armed stripper's take-home pay.

I hope the ****er gets lynched.