1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Superstar Lawyer Johnnie Cochran Dies

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstonrocketss, Mar 29, 2005.

1. esse

esse Contributing Member

So O.J. didn't kill two people?! DAMN! My Bad.........

2. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

That isn't necessarily the case. Many in the criminal justice system cannot afford an attorney and are appointed one (see Miranda). If I was a court-appointed defender, I would zealously advocate for the defendant based on the evidence, regardless of what I personally thought of the person. A person could have a rap sheet a mile long, but if s/he is arrested, that person deserves a fair and just legal defense as much as anyone else.

In any case, your statement requires me to know the person committed the crime before they're proven guilty. I'm not sure how I can know that; I'm not a mind reader. And the last time I checked, people are innocent until proven otherwise.

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

It's the job of lawyers to zealously advocate for their clients. If O.J. maintained his innocence, wasn't he entitled to hire someone to defend him in court? Or is it the court of public opinion
    that decides who's innocent or guilty? The fact that the jury in that case reached what many believe is the wrong verdict is not to say that the system at its roots is not a good one.

If you're ever accused of a crime, I can bet that you'd want that attorney defending you to do his best to persuade the jury to your side of the case.

4. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

We're able to look at evidence that was admitted and not admitted into evidence in the trial. OJ is as guilty as they come, in my opinion. Don't blame Johnnie for the not guilty verdict. The prosecutors f'd up on many levels in that case.

5. Zion

Zion Member

Would he still go to hell if he lost? Like that dude who defended Scott Peterson is he going to hell? How about Robert Blakes Attorney, did Robert Blake really kill his wife?

If the only criteria for going to hell is defending murderers then there must only be Lawyers there.

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

7. esse

esse Contributing Member

ok, I'm with you on that.
    Yeah the prosecution f'd up.:D

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The dude just died. Maybe you guys could have just an ounce of respect for his family.

RIP

9. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I'm sure Nicole Brown Simpson's and Ron Goldman's family are in mourning.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

. . and the most comfort i get from your post
    is knowing you will slowly roast in hell for such a comment

Rocket River

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

but folx seem pretty kewl with prosecutors
    killing the wrong person
    or
    utilizing their power to enforce their biases as
    to who gets the death penalty or harsher sentences

If they send the wrong person to jail or worse
    well . .that is just a mistake
    but
    DEFENSE ATTORNEYs . .well they should know their clients
    guilt or innocence on intuition and 1st site. . . liike most folx here

Rocket River

12. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Is your comment really better?

RIP Johnny Cochran.

I didn't really like what he did very much, but he seems to have been a very good lawyer, and he was the inspiration for the "Jackie Chiles" character...

13. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Lot of people making really smart comments about the criminal justice system in this thread. And by "smart," I mean asinine.

14. LHutz

LHutz Member

JOHN WAS A GREATE MAN...DUKE WILL MISS HIM the way when YOU DROP A ICE CEEM CONE on yourr pants you miss YOUR DIGNETY...DUKE had a sluggan based on MR COCHRAN once: IF YOU MOLLED BY MUTTS, CALL LIONEL HUTZ...good times :(

15. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

I'm just hoping the devil seats me next to Cochran in the fiery pits. I'm betting I could get a reprieve once we've been slowly roasting together for a few millenia.

But, I don't worry too much about mythical destinations. Unless it's Xanadu - the Olivia Newton-John one.