1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Prediction time

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by leroy, Mar 18, 2005.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Let's see your predictions for the 2005 MLB season. Doesn't just have to be division winners. Include what you will.

Here are mine...

NL East

1. Atlanta Braves...I made the mistake last year. They are still the best team in the East. Smoltz is back to starting and they added Tim Hudson to an already decent staff. I do think Danny Kolb is overrated as a closer. It will be back to the 90's version of the Braves with dominating starting pitching and just enough offense to win.

2. Florida Marlins...They are still young and only getting better. Atlanta won't run away with the division. Both teams are capable of 100+ wins.

3. NY Mets...All that spending will not get the Mets in the playoffs. I don't think that Pedro will start 20 games. Beltran will do basically what he did last year (.270-.290, close to 40-40, and 100+ rbi). It just won't be enough.

4. Washinton Nationals...They will be a better team this year. No move hanging over their heads and they added some good vets. Livan Hernandez has been on fire this spring and I do think he will have a good season. A lot will depend on the health of Jose Vidro.

5. Philadelphia Phillies...Outside of Thome and Abreu, I just don't think they have enough offense or pitching to contend and will finish with a losing record.

NL Central

1. St. Louis Cardinals...Don't expect them to win as many games as last year. They are still the class of the division. I have to think that the loss of Renteria and Matheny will hurt more that Eckstien and Mulder will help. Should still win the division by a good margin.

2. Houston Astros...There will be many, even on these boards that disagree, but I do think they will finish in 2nd for the 3rd consecutive year. The starting pitching will carry this team along with Mr. Lidge. Berkman will be back in May and will still be productive. Bagwell will hopefully have his swing fixed well enough to get back in the .290 - .300 range. Willy Taveres will be a ROY candidate. Roy Oswalt will win 20 for the 2nd consecutive year and win the Cy Young.

3. Chicago Cubs...Dusty Baker will be lucky to make it through this season. There will be infighting again. There will be whining about anything and everything. Nomar will be back as one of the best SS in the NL, but Corey Patterson, Mark Prior, and Kerry Wood are all still having injury problems. Jeremy Burnitz will not make up for the losses of Alou and Sosa.

4. Cincinnatti Reds...Getting better with some good young players. If Austin Kearns and Junior could stay healthy for an entire season, they could contend for the #3 spot. Adam Dunn could have a huge year and their pitching, while still subpar, is improved

5. Milwaukee Brewers...Just too young. They will get better. If they can keep this team together, they will be very good in about 3 years.

6. Pittsburgh Pirates...Did absolutely nothing to get better. Jack Wilson would be a big star anywhere else.

NL West

1. San Francisco Giants...They are OLD. Not one projected starter is going to under 31. Bonds just had a second surgery and will probably be out until May. If the rest of the Jurrasic Giants stay off the DL, they should win this division. Jason Schmidt will be a Cy Young candidate again.

2. LA Dodgers...Still have Gagne. Jeff Kent is still one of the best 2B in the game offensively. JD Drew when healthy is a very good player. Milton Bradley, when not the mental midget he can be, can put up very good numbers. They still have decent pitching.

3. San Diego Padres...This division will not be won by more than 3 or 4 games and San Diego will be right there until the end. Actually, all three top teams could be interchangable.

4. Arizona D'backs...Lost RJ. Got younger. Better than last year but still a few years away.

5. Colorado Rockies...Unless Denver fell out of the Rockies, they will still suck. Todd Helton will be traded this time as he'll finally get sick of it. Preston Wilson probably won't make it through the season either.

NL East...Atlanta
    NL Central...St. Louis
    NL West...Giants
    NL Wild Card...Florida

NL Champion...Florida

AL East

1. NY Yankees...Duh. If the starting pitching and Mariano Rivera stay healthy, they will could win 110 games. RJ could possibly win 25 games. A-Rod will be back to putting up ridiculous numbers.

2. Boston Red Sox...The defending champion Red Sox (weird to say) are very good but not as good as the Yankees this year. They'll win in the 95 game range and still lose the division by 15 games. Edgar Renteria is a great pickup.

3. Baltimore Orioles...Sammy Sosa will be back. He won't have the pressure of Chicago hanging over him any more. They have made some nice additions but it still ain't enough in this division.

4. Tampa Devils Rays...Lou Pinella will have this young team playing better. Scott Kazmir will be the ROY (at least I think he is still eligible).

5. Toronto Blue Jays...No where near enough. Vernon Wells will be the next to be traded.

AL Central

1. Chicago White Sox...They'll end the reign of the Twins. Could win 90 games.

2. Minnesota Twins...Just good enough in a weak division for too long. It has finally caught up with them. I predict a downslide for them until they get a new owner.

3. Cleveland Indians...Will contend for this division in 2006. They are young and very talented.

4. Detroit Tigers...won't be nearly as bad as in the recent past. They are improving and have added some talent. A lot will depend on the health of Magglio Ordonez. Troy Percival was a nice addition.

5. Kansas City Royals...Well, they got Jose Lima back.

AL West

1. Texas Rangers...Still need better pitching, but this division got a little weaker. Michael Young will become a big star.

2. Los Angeles Angels of Anahiem of Orange County of California
    They are a good team and will be neck and neck with the Rangers. Very well could win the division. Vlad will be a MVP contender. Garret Anderson is still the most underrated player in MLB.

3. Seattle Mariners...Improved offensively IF Adrian Beltre is not a one hit wonder and IF Richie Sexson's shoulder is ok. Still putting too much faith into 120 year old Moyer. Starting pitching will be the issue.

4. Oakland A's...Billy Beane might have gone too far this time. Losing Mulder and Hudson will hurt worse than he thinks. Dotel will lose his job to Huston Street early in the season.

AL East...Yankees
    AL Central...White Sox
    AL West...Rangers
    AL Wild Card...Boston

AL Champion...Yankees

World Series...Yankess get revenge over Florida and win in 6.

NL MVP - Scott Rolen
    NL Cy Young - Roy Oswalt
    NL ROY - Willy Taveres

AL MVP - Alex Rodriguez
    AL Cy Young - Randy Johnson
    AL ROY - Scott Kazmir (or Dallas McPherson if Kazmir's not eligible)

This will be a very interesting season. I do think we'll see the first suspension for roids. It won't be anyone of significance. Bonds will catch Babe Ruth but will be fighting injuries all year. The Yankees will go down as one of the best teams ever.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

NL East

Atlanta Braves.

NL Central

Houston Atros (I refise to pick anyone else)

NL West

San Diego Padres...(high underrated by some but with their solid starting pitching and bully + balanced offense and defense....watchout).

NL Wild Card...Florida

NL Champion...Astros

AL East

NY Yankees

AL Central

Minnesota Twins

AL West

Seattle Mariners

AL Wild Card LA Angels

AL Champion...LA Angels

World Champs = LA Angels (sorry Stros)

NL MVP - Albert Pujols
    NL Cy Young - Tim Hudson
    NL ROY - Luke Scott
    NL batting Champ - Todd Helton
    NL HR King - Lance Berkman
    NL RBI Champ - Moises Alou

AL MVP - Vlad Guerero
    AL Cy Young - Santana
    AL ROY - ???
    AL Batting champ - Ichiro Suzuki
    AL HR King - Man Ram
    AL RBI Champ - Richie Sexton

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

for the first time in a very long time...i feel like i have no freaking clue what's going to happen this year. but i'll make my picks, anyway:

NL West -- Giants

NL East -- Florida

NL Cental -- Astros

NL Wild Card -- Braves

AL West -- Angels

AL Central -- Indians

AL East -- Yankees

AL Wild Card -- Red Sox

World Series: Astros over Yankees :)

#3 MadMax, Mar 21, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2005
  4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

NL Central

Houston Astros - Garner for a full year with a healthy RC is hard to beat, besides St. Loius still aint got good pitching and repeating last year's record is not in the Cards :)

5. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

NL Central- Cardinals in a laugher
    NL East- Braves :eek:
    NL West- Giants
    NL Wild Card- Padres

NL Championship Cards over Giants in 6 (Rolen NLCS MVP)

AL Central- Twins
    AL East- Yankees :eek:
    AL West- Angels
    AL Wildcard- Indians

AL Championship Yankees over Angels in 5 ( Sheffield ALCS MVP)

World Series Cards over Yankees in 7 (Edmonds MVP)

Regular Season Awards

NL MVP- Barry Bonds :eek:
    NL Cy Young- Tim Hudson
    NL Mananger of the Year- Bruce Boche
    NL Batting Champ- Todd Helton (.344)
    NL Homerun Champ- Albert Pujols (48)
    NL Leader in wins- Cardinals (103)

AL MVP- Alex Rodriguez
    AL Cy Young- Barry Zito
    AL Mananger of the Year- Joe Torre
    AL Batting Champ- Ichiro (.335)
    AL Homerun Champ- Ritchie Sexson (44)
    AL Leader in Wins- Yankees (108)

6. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Taveras a ROY candidate? I thought it was a given that he would at least start the year at AAA, and its not like he lighting it up in spring training, he's hitting around .250.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

SALT Treaty '05 -- 'Stros Arms Looking Terrific (promise me healthy 'stro-arms and Cubbie bad arms and Cards with annual arms ahurting.)

NL Central 'Stros (see above)

NL East ATL

NL West Pads (because Barry will gimp thruout season).

NL Wild Card St Louis

NL Champion Astros

AL Central Tribe

AL East Bosox

AL West Southern California Angels

AL Wild Card Seattle

AL Champion Bosox

World Champs Hou - Ston As - tros!

NL MVP Pujols
    NL Cy Young Roy O

AL MVP Renteria
    AL Cy Young very big Yankee Unit

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I think the problem with Taveras going to AAA is that there are no other OFs who can actually play CF defensively well. Biggio, Berkman, Palmeiro and Lane are corner OFs (at best). I think Garner may want to keep Taveras around minimally as a defensive replacement for late innings and as a pinch runner.

Who Garner starts in CF is another question.

9. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

No way Taveras makes the team and sits on the bench. He needs to be playing every day, either here or at Round Rock.

10. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Astros 2005
    73-89 worst-82-80 best
    reason the team lost two power hitters with nothing to show except unproven rookies
    Bagwell and Biggio are on the down side of Their hall of fame careers
    Clemens, will start to show his age this year and being 42 alot can go wrong Pettitte still has arm problems though if Pettitte and Clemens stay healthy the Astros could win more then 80 games
    this year no postseason too many holes to fill

11. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

NL East - Florida Marlins
    NL West - San Francisco Giants
    NL Central - St. Louis Cardinals

NL Wildcard - Atlanta Braves

AL East - New York Yankees
    AL West - Anaheim Angels
    AL Central - Minnesota Twins

AL Wildcard - Boston Redsox

World Series - Cardinals over Yankees

NL MVP - Albert Pujols
    NL Cy Young - Tim Hudson

AL MVP - Manny Ramirez

12. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

Braves, Cards, Dodgers win the divisions....Florida wins the WC....Braves go to WS

I could care less abt the AL

13. torque

torque Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

NL East - Braves
    NL Central - Cards
    NL West - Dodgers
    NL Wild Card - Padres

AL East - Yanks
    AL Central - ChiSox
    Al West - Angels
    AL WC - Red Sox

NL MVP - Todd Helton
    NL Cy Young - Roy Oswalt

AL MVP - Alex Rodrigues

NL Champs - Dodgers
    AL Champs - Yankees

Yankees over Dodgers in 4

14. leroy

1. Nothing is a given yet. Not who the starting outfield is going to be nor the 5th starter.

2. This is a prediction thread. Even if he started the year at AAA, it is still possible to win the ROY. I just happen to believe that he will start the season with the Astros as the Opening Day Center Fielder. I think that he will hit in the .270 range. Willy has learned to be a little more of a slap hitter and has learned to better utilize his speed. If he plays every day, he has the potential for 60+ steals.

15. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

16. leroy

Holy crap that is some bad writing. Who the hell is Dayn Perry? Thin rotation? Someone's going to be playing out of position in center? Berkman not back until mid May? There is a notable drop off after the Cards, Cubs AND BREWERS? :eek: :eek: :eek:

Where is this guy getting his information? The Chicago Tribune?

EDIT: I just found that Perry is a writer for the Basball Prospectus, a Chicago resident, an unapologetic Cardinals fan, and apparently a total idiot who hasn't read up on anything Astros since early January.

#16 leroy, Mar 26, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2005
  17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

What makes the Brewers and Reds better than the Astros? FoxSports will just say anything I guess. The Reds will compete until mid June like they do every season and fall apart in the second half. The Real Standings will be

Cards
    Astros
    Cubs
    Reds
    Pirates
    Brewers