1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Clemens' hard-to-miss orange Hummer stolen

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by dEVIL, Mar 23, 2005.

1. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

So where's the disdain for this H.S. kid pushing a Hummer.

2. moligity

moligity Contributing Member

double post

#22 moligity, Mar 23, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2005
  3. moligity

Clemens used his own money, no taxpayer money was used.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/printstory.mpl/sports/3099394

March 23, 2005, 7:05PM

Clemens' stolen orange Hummer found
    By PEGGY O'HARE
    Copyright 2005 Houston Chronicle

Roger Clemens' prized burnt orange Hummer, stolen from his son's high school during classes Wednesday, was later found dumped in a southwest Houston parking lot.

No arrests had been made Wednesday night. A tip to Crime Stoppers helped officers find the vehicle, police said.

The famous truck was stolen from the Memorial High School on Echo Lane near the Katy Freeway around 8:30 a.m. after Clemens' son, Koby, an 18-year-old senior at the school, parked it there. The vehicle was in fine condition when it was recovered later that afternoon in a parking lot in the Bissonnet and Dairy Ashford area, said Spring Branch Independent School District Police Chief Chuck Brawner.

Officers set up surveillance on the Hummer after finding it, but did not see anyone approach the vehicle, Brawner said. The truck will be examined for fingerprints, he said.

Roger Clemens had teamed up with Crime Stoppers to offer a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and charging of the car thief. His former New York Yankees teammates gave him the 2003 Hummer, which weighs nearly three tons, as a going-away gift.

The baseball great, 42, a father of four sons, spoke with Brawner on the phone Wednesday morning and caught a plane back to Houston.

Initially, police said they had no suspects.

``It's the only orange Hummer on the streets,'' Brawner said. ``This vehicle is kind of big, so they stand out.''

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

According to the original article posted in this thread, they were each offering $5000.

Clemens, 42, a father of four sons, has teamed up with Crime Stoppers to offer up to a $10,000 reward for information leading to the arrest and charging of the person who stole the Hummer. Clemens is offering half the money, while Crime Stoppers is offering the other half, said Crime Stoppers executive director Kim Ogg.

5. moligity

my mistake, resume the outrage. :)

6. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Structure and Funding of Crime Stoppers:

Crime Stopper Programs are organized as a not for profit organization (Charity). A civilian community board of directors provides direction as to the financial and promotional activities of the program. The board of directors enhances the community involvement aspect, and its function is vital to the programs success. The Crime Stoppers program is funded by private donations and fund raising. NO TAX DOLLARS are involved. The reward money paid out by the program is from the fund raising and donations from concerned citizens and businesses.

http://www.c-s-i.org/concept.php

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

nyc. whether or not tax dollars are involved or not..

I thought it was more for violent acts. Is this a regular thing for them to do rewards on cars?

8. nycrocket

nycrocket Contributing Member

Check the link. Their home page has stats, and one of the stats is $ property recovered. $5000 from a charitable organization to recover Rocket's car after almost taking the Stros to the Series last year doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

Maybe he'll push for a trade back to the Yankees. No need to worry about stolen cars when you have a driver.

9. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Surveillance? WTF. So they can pin it on some curious onlookers? I wonder if the thieves ran out of gas :D

10. ROCKETS1972

ROCKETS1972 Member

Alot of car theaves will wait if the car has onstar or other security
    devises they will steal it leave it in a parking lot for a day or two
    if it is still there then they will go for it this sounds like a pro did it

11. sabirk

sabirk Contributing Member

I'm so happy they recoverd his Hummer. I had trouble sleeping at night thinking about Roger have to pay .2% of this years salary to replace it.

Thank you Crime Stoppers.

12. raw10628

raw10628 Contributing Member

I don't know about anyone else but the car being taken in for fingerprints really pisses me off for some reasonl. I bet they have never fingerprinted a car before just b/c it was stolen. If I wanted my car fingerprinted they would laugh at me. This is ridiculous.:mad:

13. westbury44

westbury44 Member

Funny thing is, a couole days ago I saw a burnt orange Hummer H2 around Randalls in Bellaire. And I thought to my self is that Roger Clemens Hummer. Because I remembered him getting one that color after he left the Yankees. I wonder if it was is