1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Duckworth the Favorite For #5?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by RocketFan007, Mar 24, 2005.

1. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Duckworth pitched another solid game tonight, and IMO is probably the most likely guy to open the season as the #5 starter. Astacio has been great as well, but he has options and Duckworth doesn't. Here are Duckworth's numbers this spring:

14.2 IP 2.45 ERA 13 H 5 BB 13K

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Ducky can be a long relief guy + situational starter.

He does not inspire confidence in me regardless of what he is doing now.

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I remeber his 1st trip around the bigs. He had very good success and looked like a good #2 starter. It didn't take the league long to figure this guy out. He could just be experiencing the same level of success in spring training.

No doubt about it, though. The guy's got a good mixture of pitches and solid mechanics. I really hope he does succeed. But i could see him being the next Ron Villone.

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

He just might start the season as the #5 guy. Luckily, they don't need one until April 17th. Astacio will start in AAA and get a couple of starts in before they have to make their final decision. I wouldn't be suprised if there was no announcement on it until then.

Either way, I think Redding lost any chance at the spot yesterday. He had another mental midget moment after his error. I don't know what they will do with him at this point. I can't forsee any team really wanting to give up more than a mediocre A or AA player for him. It might be time to consider cutting their losses and just let the guy go.

5. redgoose

I wonder what a combo of Redding/Lane could get us in the open market? Perhaps Orel Hershiser thinks he can turn him around. His ego has to be inflated after last year. We all know Texas has tons of slugging and no pitching. They'll have to trade for a pitcher or 2 sometime in the future if they ever want to go anywhere.

So where's realmlbgm.com when you need it?

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Lane is the closest thing to an experienced outfielder right now. No chance he's included in any trade unless a major league outfielder is coming back.

7. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

I don't think there's any way we deal Lane, but I can just about guarantee you that we're shopping Redding and Burke for an experienced OF. With Biggio playing exclusively at 2B during the spring (except for 1 class A game), I think he's the starting 2B, and that leaves Burke either on the bench for at least 2 seasons until Biggio retires or back at AAA.

8. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I agree about Duckworth. Redding is a head case and got blown up yesterday vs. the Marlins. He's just so inconsistent.

9. redgoose

I say Lane because i believe he is what most GM's would want. Someone who could have an immediate impact and maybe knock 25 homeruns and hit .260. He would be their safety net for for Redding in return for giving us a solidified outfielder or a major prospect.

10. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The problem w/ Duckworth is that everybody already knows what kind of starter he is... we all saw it last year. He's got OKAY stuff, but not the kind of stuff that can keep hitters off for more than 5 innings, unless he's PERFECT.

His ST performance, however, probably guaranteed him a spot with the club... and personally, I hope its in a long-relief role (nothing more).

We don't know what Astacio will be like as a starter... the element of the unknown is what intrigues us all. If he comes up and fails, no big deal, he'll go down to AAA. But if you put Duckworth in that spot, and he fails... the chances of him becoming a good reliever at that point dwindles (due to his diminished confidence), and thus he's useless.

Ideally, they will:
    1.) Let Astacio be the 5th starter after April 17th, with Hernandez hopefully continuing to build up arm strength at AAA (I'd want him to be next in line if Zeke fails).

2.) Give Duckworth a spot as long-relief. He's done better than Burba.

3.) Desperatly unload Redding onto somebody else... at this point, I won't care what they get for him.