1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Munro placed on waivers

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BSW, Mar 16, 2005.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Astros place Pete Munro on waivers
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3088100

The Astros said today they have requested waivers on right-handed pitcher Pete Munro for the purpose of granting him an unconditional release.

Munro, 29, appeared in two games this Spring (one start), posting an 0-1 mark with a 9.00 ERA. He also started in a simulated game. He signed a one-year, $700,000 contract on Feb. 7.

Munro finished 4-7 with a 5.15 ERA for Houston over 21 games (19 starts) last season after joining the club on June 3, and starting the year in the Minnesota Twins organization. He made two appearances out of the bullpen, and moved into a starting role for his next 19 games. He made two starts in the National League Championship Series, but did not record a decision.

Over 120 career Major League appearances (40 starts), Munro is 13-19 with a 4.88 ERA in parts of four seasons from 2000-04. He first came to the Astros organization on Oct. 15, 2001 when he signed a minor league contract. He made his Houston debut on June 27, 2002, and appeared in 19 games (14 starts). In 2003, he made 40 appearances (two starts) for the Astros.

Hmm....wonder what Tim Purpura is going to do with that extra slot on the roster now.

2. Aceshigh7

Aceshigh7 Contributing Member

1 down, 2 to go (Redding, Hernandez).

3. msn

msn Member

WOW. This tells me that Purpura & Co. have confidence in one of Redding, Hernandez, Astacio, or Bucholz (sp?). Not to mention Pettitte's wing and ankle.

I hope some comments leak; I'm curious as to their reasoning.

4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Well for Munro to make this team, he was going to have to pitch great, and the others had to fall flat on their faces... and neither of those really happened.

He's a career journeyman, and he knows how to handle this. Chances are, he clears waivers and we'll be able to sign him to a minor league contract (if he wants), or he'll seek a job elsewhere.

Right now, I see Burba assured of making this team as a reliever, and Carlos starting the year at AAA.

That leaves Redding and Astacio to battle for the 5th spot, and considering that Redding is out of options (and Astacio and Hernandez aren't), that leads me to believe that he'll be getting the 5th starter's spot... or they'll trade him.

I don't think they'll keep Astacio up here to be a reliever... he'll go down to AAA if he doesn't make the team, and continue to pitch every 5th day, maintaining that arm-strength if one of our other guns goes down.

5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Buckholtz was sent to the AAA minor league camp yesterday. Their reasoning is that they have a logjam of pitchers, including those out of options. Astacio is on the outside looking in because he has options remaining so unless Redding, Duckworth, Hernandez and Burba all flop miserably the rest of the spring, Astacio will probably start in AAA.

The Astros were being very fair with Munro and giving him the opportunity to land somewhere else while a couple of weeks of spring training remain.

6. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes,but I really want to believe that Redding won't be in that 5 spot..Perhaps he can string together a few nice outings,and another team will take the bait,giving up a prospect.
    On Munro - He's always been a pleasant surprise to me.Perhaps it's because I didn't have high expectations.At a glance this move seems small,but Pete is an overachiever.He'll find a home somewhere.
    If Astacio breaks camp with the big boys,I think we'll see some major fireworks.He,potentially,could solidify our staff to the point,that we become a major threat out of the gate.

7. kevwun

kevwun Member

I think Redding is going to be traded, at least that's what I'm hoping.

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

If Astacio breaks camp with the big boys,I think we'll see some major fireworks.

Looking at the recent Astro history of AA to bigs starting pitcher moves, Oswalt has worked out while Hernandez, Saarloos, and Redding have not. The Astros were forced against their will to be make those moves due to injuries and would have preferred to have each of those pitchers spend a full season in AAA. I strongly suspect that the Astros want to give Astcio some AAA seasonings before calling him up. If he does well as anticipated in AAA, he would then be a likely mid to late season callup.

9. No Worries

I think Redding is going to be traded, at least that's what I'm hoping.

I would be surprised if Purpura's is ring off the hook with offers.

10. spence99

spence99 Member

How did Duckwork last longer than Munro? I'd rather see Munro out there than Duckworth? Why did we ever resign Duckworth? He's worthless!

11. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I predict we will all be surprised by Redding this year, in a good way.

12. No Worries

9.2 innings 2.79 ERA.