1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Jackson is a 'Stro

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by RocketsPimp, Dec 14, 2000.

1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

This could be a good thing.

HOUSTON -- Reliever Mike Jackson, a Houston native, agreed Thursday to a one-year contract with the Astros.

The 35-year-old right-hander, who saved 94 games for the Cleveland Indians from 1997 to 1999, missed last season with a throwing shoulder injury after signing with the Philadelphia Phillies.

Jackson is the latest addition to the team's revamped bullpen. The projected closer is left-hander Billy Wagner, whose 2000 season was ended by surgery to his throwing elbow.

Earlier this week, the Astros acquired middle relievers Nelson Cruz and Doug Brocail in a six-player deal with the Detroit Tigers. To make room for Jackson, the Astros designated right-handed reliever Marc Valdes for assignment, meaning they have 10 days to trade him, release him or send him outright to the Minors.

------------------
    Five to one baby, one in five...no one here gets, out alive.

2. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

The Astros do not seem to be "risk averse"...

So, our two best closers played a total of how many games last year? And, had a total of how many surgeries?

Ugh....

------------------
    "I have a DREAM.........his name's Hakeem."
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

3. Summer Song Giver

Well,he is old and well he is coming off offseason arm surgery but if he is healthy he could be a plus maybe even a huge plus.If everyone in the pen is healthy our bullpen should be much improved over last years.

P.S. I still think the price of upgrading the pen may have been a bit high.

------------------

4. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

You forgot "and he is cheap." I think that's what Drayton is most concerned with.

------------------
    "I am" is reportedly the shortest sentence in the English language. Could it be that "I do" is the longest sentence ?

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I think we can go to the World Series now...Oops, I did it again!

------------------

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Actually, I read with incentives Jackson could make 4.5 million this season. He gets $750,000 just for making the opening day roster.

------------------