1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official - Oswalt to Be Opening Day Starter

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by BSW, Mar 11, 2005.

1. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

It's Official - Oswalt to Be Opening Day Starter
    http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3080140

KISSIMMEE, Fla. -- Phil Garner announced that Roy Oswalt will start opening day against the St. Louis Cardinals on April 5 at Minute Maid Park. He will be followed by lefthander Andy Pettitte on April 6.

Future Hall of Farmer Clemens, the reigning National League Cy Young Award winner, will start the third game of the season April 8 against the Reds at home, followed by Brandon Backe on April 9.

Garner is nowhere close to picking his fifth starter, who won't be needed until April 17 against the Reds in Cincinnati because of the three days off in the first two weeks of the season.

"I thought they pitched pretty good in that order last year," Garner said of Oswalt, Pettitte and Clemens. "I like putting the lefthander in between them although I haven't gone forward to look at how many times they're going to fall together. But when they're 1-2-3 and we're going to pitch 1-2-3 series, I like having a lefthander in between them. They will all get the same number of starts, so to a certain degree it doesn't really matter in that respect because they'll all get the same number of starts.

"But it does say Roy is right there with them. Roy had a great year last year, but actually opening day starter doesn't mean anything beyond that. I said when you have a clear choice to make like that, you can go with the guy as a reward. But in this case I could choose any three guys and feel comfortable and justify it in any three ways, any number of ways."

Oswalt, 27, who led the majors in the second half last season with 12 victories, was 20-10 with a 3.49 ERA last year. He is 63-27 with a 3.11 ERA since making his major-league debut on May 6, 2001.

Despite pitching with a strained muscle on his side and serving a five-game suspension, Oswalt did not miss a start last year. He made one relief appearances, earning the victory, and led the Astros in starts (35), innings (237) and complete games.

He gave up 233 hits and 100 runs (92 earned) with 17 home runs and 11 hit batters, 62 walks and 206 strikeouts.

"I see I'm pitching with (Clemens)," Oswalt said.

"I don't really see that I'm pitching in front of him. That's what he believes too. I know if he went first he wouldn't believe that he would be before us. It's an honor just to pitch with him. It doesn't matter if you go first or behind him if you just pitch with him. A lot of guys go through their careers and never get to pitch with a Cy Young winner. Hopefully, I can pick up a few things from him and maybe become one later on.

2. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

I bet tickets to the Friday game start going pretty fast!

3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Roy is a stud... if he's fully healthy this year (no nagging rib-cage injury), and the groin holds up (as it looks fully fixed by the surgery)... watch out.

I'm expecting a sub 3 ERA and at least 22 wins.

(also, this makes perfect business sense... as the first game was already a sellout, and the second game was probably gonna be close w/ the cardinals in town... but it would have been hard to get people to pack the house for the Reds, unless it was Roger that was pitching).

4. BSW

BSW Contributing Member

Very smart move by the Astros.

I know I went and purchased tickets as soon as I found out about Roger pitching on that Friday.

5. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

Don't jinx us Phil.

6. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

We have tickets to the April 10th game, I was hoping we wouldnt see the 5th starter.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Most likely you'll get Roy for that one. They won't have to use the 5th starter for the first few series.

8. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

I believe they'll withhold the 5th starter until April 17th. That was the date floating around on the radio i think, don't hold me to it though.

#8 JPM0016, Mar 11, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2005
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

as much as i love clemens, i'd personally rather see oswalt pitch. like nick said if he's fully healthy he's as good as anyone in the game. last year he won twenty and it was his poorest season yet. that's how good he is.

10. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

I have 2 Tix to opening day. I don't think I'll be able to get that day off though. I may have to get sick around noon. Bad chinese sound good?