1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Astros outfielder should be traded?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by countingcrow, Nov 23, 2000.

1. University Blue

But would Meluskey's bat win more games, which is a relative term considering last season's record, than Ausmus's arm -and- bat?

------------------
    Not only have the Drew bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

2. Summer Song Giver

University Blue,I like Ausmus,always have,I just think Meluskey has the potential to be just as good or better and obviously Astro's management does too.

------------------
    Mitch Meluskey...The real Slim Shady

3. University Blue

Summer Song Giveth: "Meluskey has the potential to be just as good or better (than Ausmus)..."

Summer Song Taketh: "...and obviously Astros management does, too."

The trades of Ausmus and Hampton seem to indicate Astros management is more concerned with the bottom line and less worried about talent and on-the-field production.

------------------
    Not only have the Drew bashers crossed the line, but they've sprinted a couple of miles beyond it.

4. Summer Song Giver

I agree,it all started when the Stros let Nolan get away [​IMG]Seriously though some of managements more recent moves have been only about the bottom line and have hurt the Astros on the field,in fact you'll get no argument from me at all.However I place all of the blame squarly on Drayton McClanes shoulders heres why,
    1.I believe the Astros traded away some very good talent for Randy Johnson which is fine but only if you plan to sign him;something I believe they had no intentions of doing unless he'd taken them to the world series
    2.The trade of Mike Hampton was inexcusable,bottom line the guy was an Astro and it ripped part of the heart out of our club.If you're trading Bell that's one thing he was overpriced and those are the deals your supposed to make.
    3.Everret for Everret was one of the strangest,no stupidest deals I'd ever seen. Here you trade a guy who was arguably our best clutch hitter for a prospect and from what I've heard(and this is no knock on Adam Everret)not even a very good one.I'd venture to say had we not traded Mike both he and Jeff would already be close to if not already signed.

------------------

5. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Cedeno should be dealt, but Ward should only be dealt if the Astros do not re-sign Bagwell. If Bagwell goes, Ward is our 1B.

------------------
    I am the b*stard son of LHutz.

Huh?

Right!

6. RKMAN

RKMAN Member

Berkman should be traded:

Berkman: AB: 353 HR:21 RBI:67
    Ward: AB: 264 HR:20 RBI:47

If ward played everyday, he'd have alot more rbi's and dingers, but because of the pinch hit role, he was limited. Berkman had an opportunity, and he failed. It's time for Ward to start.

LF: Ward
    CF: Hidalgo
    RF: Alou
    3b: Truby
    SS: Lugo
    2B: Biggio
    1B: Bagwell

P: Hampton

PH/PR: Cedeno, Vizcaino, Berkman

------------------
    RKMAN

Proud believer of the 2001 World Champion Houston Astros.

7. Summer Song Giver

RKMAN some other noteworthy stats concerning Berkman vs. Ward

Batting Average
    Ward-.258
    Berkman-.297

Slugging
    Ward-.538
    Berkman-.561

Strikeouts and walks
    Ward-k's 61 bb's 15
    Berkman-k's 73 bb's 56

I'd hardly call what Berkman did last year a failure when his batting average was nearly 40 points higher than Ward's and his slugging pecentage was also higher.Granted these numbers might have been better for Ward had he gotten more playing time;I'm not questioning Daryl's power which is admittedly better than Berkman's but is he a better hitter?No
    Another area where Berkman is better than Ward is defensively.While their fielding percentages are similar this stat can be misleading because Berkman will get to ball's that Ward would have no play on and drop in as hits.Ward is a masher and all things being equal(at bats) would probably out homer Berkman but this alone does not make him a better hitter.Both players IMO will be fine major leaguers but to say Ward is better or that Berkman had a disappointing season is unfounded.

------------------

8. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If we trade Alou, it would be for a frontline pitcher. Let's make a hypothetical scenario:

Hampton and his agent are on the phone. They tell us, if money were no issue, he'd be in Houston. But, our offer is 2-3 million under what he wants/needs. He'll give us 1 week to up the offer before he signs somewhere else (St. Louis, ATL, NY, etc.).

All of a sudden, we're talking to the Expos GM, who says Felipe Alou really wants Moises back in Montreal, and they're willing to make it happen. We are offered Dustin Hermanson, a young quality pitcher with a fairly low contract, and another player (for grins, Carl Pavano). By making this deal, we can sign Hampton. Do you do it?

Make a same deal with Pittsburgh, who offers Jason Schmidt (or Francisco Cordova) and maybe Warren Morris for Alou.

Same for the Padres and Clement or Hitchcock with someone (Damian Jackson?) for Alou.

You wouldn't sacrifice Alou, when we had another player (Ward or Hidalgo) who could put up good numbers in place of him, sign Hampton, and fill in one more rotation spot?

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

9. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

No, because Ward or Berkman will not put up Alou type numbers. Hidalgo is already a starter, so he wouldn't replace Alou.
    In your hypothetical: I would trade/release a couple of middle relievers to get the $2 Million needed to sign Hampton. The middle guys are the reason the Astros were so bad last year.
    We have minor legue pitchers that would do just as good at much less salary.

Cedeno and Ward are the only outfielders we should trade. An outfield of Alou, Hidalgo and Berkman would be potent. Maybe the best in the NL. A rotation of Hampton/Millwood?/Mussina?, Reynolds, Lima and Elarton would rival the Braves staff.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

[This message has been edited by BobFinn* (edited November 26, 2000).]

10. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Haven't seen anyone here mention this little tidbit: Alou has a no-trade clause! He has shown that he will use this clause to reject trades that he doesn't want. So why would he go to Montreal or Pittsburg? I bet he stays for that reason alone. He doesn't want to go.

So that means you've gotta keep Alou, and Hidalgo too (since we've got noone else who has proven they can play center field at Enron). Berkman has better slugging and on-base #s than Ward, plus he's a better defender.

So it comes down to Ward or Cedeno as the 4th OF. I'd pick Cedeno for his speed and defensive ability; however, it looks like the Astros staff prefers Ward.

------------------
    "Don't blame me. I think I voted for Gore."
    -Florida bumpersticker

11. Summer Song Giver

NIKE I would do any of the three deals assuming Alou was in favor of them whether it meant getting Hampy or notmy preference would be the one with Montreal.Fact is we need to move at least one outfielder and probably two.Ward should not be traded unless Bagwell is resigned even if it means keeping him here in basically the same role as last year.

Ideal opening day outfield
    RF Berkman
    CF Hidalgo
    LF Cedeno

Let's dreamcast a bit
    SP Scott Elarton
    SP Shane Reynolds
    SP Dustin Hermanson
    SP Jose Lima
    That would leave the following to fight it out for the fifth spot with the remainig going to the pen
    SP Wade Miller,Octavio Dotel,Carl Pavano,Chris Holt

If that rotation could remain healthy and Lima could rebound even slightly that's a rotation that could certainly rival the Cards

------------------

[This message has been edited by Summer Song Giver (edited November 26, 2000).]

12. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Simple- Daddy is in Montreal.

BobFinn*-Then who's our #5 starter? Dotel, which would obliterate our pen more? How do we get Milwood or Hampton (not gonna get Milwood for a bag of beans). If you release a player you still pay his contract anyhow so that doesn't work. Unlikely someone's gonna want to pay for Jay Powell out of the goodness of their heart.

If we trade Alou, we still have Cedeno, Ward, Hidalgo, and Berkman. Ward/Berkman last year combined for close to 40 dongs (or did they get 40 HR?). I'm pretty confident that Ward, given full PT, could hit 30 or more in a couple of years, if not now. If not, I'd try my luck with Milwaukee. They'd trade Burnitz for Nevin. Do you think Ward and Cedeno plus minor league stuffing would get Burnitz, who'd effectively replace Alou, then try your luck after the season to resign him?

Infield (from right to left): Bagwell, Biggio (Keith Ginter?), Everett/Vizcaino/Lugo, Truby/Spiers catchers: Meluskey/Eusebio; outfield: Burnitz, Hidalgo, Berkman, Barker backup (fairly sure we have more in the minors)
    SP: Hampton, Elarton, Reynolds, Hermanson, Lima, RP: Pavano, Dotel, Powell, other hopeful arms, Wagner.

Looks pretty nice to me (a little dreamcast heavy with Burnitz, Alou, Hampton, Ward, Cedeno coming and going, but not completely out of the realm of possibility.)

------------------
    The Serious Police are watching.
    Follow the rules or be assimilated.
    Shandon is underrated.

13. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I would be sick if the Astros traded for Jeromy Burnitz. His average last year was in the .220's and while his power numbers were respectable to say the least, Alou is still remarkedly better in all facets of the game including defense. Not to mention that Burnitz will warrant a lengthy, expensive contract after this season that the Astros would be ignorant to invest in. Trade Cedeno and keep Alou around as long as you can.

------------------