1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are Christians in the U.S. in trouble?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by FranchiseBlade, Jan 6, 2005.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Very well said.

BTW, if you get a chance, email my moniker at gmail dot com. I have something I would like to talk with you about offline.

2. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

done

3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

4. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Understood, and I agree with you, believe it or not. American Christianity is generally an odd mixture of fervor and superficiality. But I do get annoyed by the Christians who always cry persecution and blame it on the atheists/agnostics/humanists that make up a very small percentage of the US and, generally, have very little power.

5. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

So what about the second coming (or should I start a new thread?) :) :) :)

6. MadMax

and i agree with that, too. from the outside, i'm sure that's a joke to see...from the inside, i see it as misplaced priorities...especially when Christ calls us to consider it gain to suffer for our faith. if the model is the crucified Christ...then the church sounds like a bunch of freaking whiners!! :)

7. MadMax

you can if you won't....i don't know exactly what will go down, meowgi. check out Revelation, I guess. there are varying opinions across the spectrum of Christianity as to what it means...how it will go down...etc.

personally, i don't spend that much time thinking about it. having a hard enough time following Christ today without worrying about tomorrow. which leads me to my favorite verses in the Bible...Matthew 6:25-35

8. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Not Rapture Ready(tm), eh? ;)

9. MadMax

i don't put that bumper sticker on my car...no. if it goes down that way, i hope i'm ready. but i don't think speculationg about it or worrying about it is the point. i think we pay waaayyyy too much attention to stuff out in the future that we don't know about, and don't take care of the stuff that Christ called us to be taking care of immediately/in the right now.

10. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes?_ 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet Nature feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?_ 27 Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? 28 “And why do you worry about clothes? See how the lilies of the field grow. They do not labor or spin._ 29 Yet I tell you that not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these._ 30 If that is how Nature clothes the grass of the field, which is here today and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, will it not much more clothe you, O you of little faith?_ 31 So do not worry, saying, ‘What shall we eat?’ or ‘What shall we drink?’ or ‘What shall we wear?’_ 32 For the consumers run after all these things, and Nature knows that you need them._ 33 But seek first its preservation, and all these things will be given to you as well._ 34 Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.

11. MadMax

what translation is that, gary?? i've never before seen the word "consumers" substituted for "pagans" in verse 32.

12. MR. MEOWGI

Why are we more "valuable" than birds? I think the birds would disagree.

13. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

you're right , but i do eat birds.

14. MadMax

take it up with Jesus! :)

15. MR. MEOWGI

I would, but for some reason he wont show up after 2000 years to talk stuff over and clarify things...

16. MadMax

touche!!! :D

you're just not doing it right!!! :D

17. MR. MEOWGI

But I must add that I don't blame him. I think he's still a little spooked.

18. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

He's over in our church down the street, all over the world, just hanging out in the tabernacle. :)